Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
Suspicions are one's prerogative, though in this instance what you are suspicious of I cannot claim to know. Is there some code of ethics that's been broken? Are users supposed to comment elsewhere before commenting on this thread? Is this thread reserved for those with a long history of comments? I did not notice such a disclaimer.

Personally I'm not claiming to have been a reader "for ages", but even so, had I been a reader for ages would it be wrong to start commenting on a thread pertinent to the arousal of one's emotions? Isn't that the nature of a forum? If one can find use without taking part in discussion there is no onus to do so.

However, even with your suspicions aroused, does it somehow invalidate my questions and responses?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a free forum, and free to discuss.

And freedom to discuss also implies freedom to disagree.

And those who troll, get found out, usually PDQ.

But since I made a post saying that I didn't agree with the way BASI did something last year, AND have used a BASI L2 for tuition (which I'm now being led to believe is a skill level of "also-ran" rolling eyes ), in the eyes of at least one forum member, I am therefore an SB Disciple. rolling eyes

Similarly, I posted something that was not pro-SCGB, therefore I must also be a DG disciple rolling eyes

Was more suspicious on that thread than this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@billy not a boy, it does not, per se, invalidate your responses and i was not suggesting that anyone needs to have many hundreds or thousands of posts before posting a response. I do think you could understand that a certain level of suspicion is some what justified, when several 'new' and 'recently registered' users respond in a similar vein on a single thread do you not?

You must also know that all users and posts can be traced back with ip addresses as has been shown before.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ansta1 wrote:
You must also know that all users and posts can be traced back with ip addresses as has been shown before.

Can we request ip addresses from Admin Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I do think you could understand that a certain level of suspicion is some what justified, when several 'new' and 'recently registered' users respond in a similar vein on a single thread do you not?

personally, I'm not bothered who people are - it's what they have to say that's relevant. I can never be bothered to work out who is who's sock. WGAF?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1 wrote:
@billy not a boy ... You must also know that all users and posts can be traced back with ip addresses as has been shown before.

Not being a troll, these things have never entered my mind, but sure I'm happy for anyone to request admin check my unique ip address
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@billy not a boy, i doubt anyone will check the ip adress and i happen to be on your side of the fence in general at least fwiw...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1 wrote:
@billy not a boy, i doubt anyone will check the ip adress and i happen to be on your side of the fence in general at least fwiw...

My fence has been known to shift with the addition of new information Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So page 10 has, so far, been taken up with defense against the dark arts (of sock puppetry). TTT scores a point or two wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Be suspicious.
Or perhaps consider that some 'unknowns' to you here have decided to say something. Sure, it may be a conspiracy, or it may be because some people are actually, separately, simultaneously p*****d off. No clue who most the people I am agreeing with are - but I take your point: only I, and they, know that. It takes time to build trust and as I have just entered the debate and said, in summary, jeez, I think this really stinks, I can't expect to have much credibility.... Except with those that have also noticed that this stinks. The debate will roll on. I have said my piece. (It stinks by the way). Call trolling because a few people disagree with you at the same time? Whatever. Maybe, they just disagree with you. Strongly and separately. Or maybe there's just a load of irritating odd socks out there. Easier if it's just about the socks, of course.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think all you new users have driven @TTT, away, she was obviously aware that she is not the only one who can post anonymously. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1 wrote:
Suspicious, moi. Oui.

What, that somebody uses socks to express opinions on a thread in a forum that influences nothing? For those that like to do so, that's the sort of thing they like. On the scale of dirty deeds I don't think it ranks very high but in case anyone cares, dogwatch is my only persona here.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dunk, I think that is their strategy to drown out some uncomfortable points but SB is not the only person who can be resolute although in reality I've always favoured compromise.

@dogwatch, for once we agree - don't have a problem with a bit of good natured abuse and what ever I write here has absolutely no influence on reality. I did once very informally counsel to avoid getting into a formal dispute to no avail.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Socks and dirty deeds. Love it! Odd socks, dirty socks. Dirty washing in public. Taken to the cleaners. Put a sock in it. Weather Sock. Sooooo many sock and dirty washing uses. I ought not comment further, this being now 'just' my 11th post. But before I go away and darn socks on the naughty step for a bit, taking a cue from Dogwatch, if anyone does care, Malaise Meleze is my only me.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So there are people here who really don't know TTT's real name?
😖
latest report
ansta1 wrote:

Can't actually. Many if not most people's IP address changes when their router reboots.
snow report
SkiPresto wrote:
So there are people here who really don't know TTT's real name?
😖

No idea who TTT is?
snow conditions
Summary:

Does it matter? Sounds like there is no black and white here just several bits of grey all intertwined? It does sound like 'the French' are looking to protect their own industry (they have a history of this in the EU which doesn't help the case). Also sounds like SB is making some kind of point of principle about it, perhaps for money turned into a point of principle who knows. I don't get the BASI bit, it just doesn't make sense to me unless it's a political move to try and distance themselves. If so it was probably a hasty move which wasn't thought through so it's not really a surprise that they're being sued. Not sure anyone is even discussing the point atm, more like the current UK political climate trying to prove the other wrong rather than prove their own point.
ski holidays
Quote:

Not sure anyone is even discussing the point atm, more like the current UK political climate trying to prove the other wrong rather than prove their own point.

In a court case that can be quite useful......though less so in a General Election, admittedly.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Not sure anyone is even discussing the point atm, more like the current UK political climate trying to prove the other wrong rather than prove their own point.

In a court case that can be quite useful......though less so in a General Election, admittedly.

True but this isn't a court
snow report
@Levi215, there is more to this than this recent spat.

The fight by British instructors to work in France in the 1990's
Satolas agreement.
The signing away of other levels to work in France and not supporting them
The slightly strange way that certain members received ISTD's
The renegading of the ability of L3 to work as trainees in France.
The move of BASI from a members body that issues licence's to that of a commercial organisation.
SB not conforming to BASI's requirements.

There are probably lots of other issues.

I nearly forgot, the mysterious case of the MOU that was there one year and vanished the next........admin error......
snow conditions
@Levi215, of course the French are seeking to protect their interests. Just as basi, SB, SBS customers and SBS instructors are seeking to protect their interests. There are no absolutes here. Yes people then try to attach principles to support their self interest. I've absolutely no skin in the game. I've just read the EU rules and agree with the French and basi interpretation. That is not to say that the rules which have partly been written by the French in their own interests are necessarily right but then how do you define what is right.
snow conditions
Hi Stewart. I have no idea. 😶 Well at least we know who each other really is Happy
You don't have a pseudonym, and my real name can be found on a dev site I'm occasionally working on (Skipresto.com).
I'm also working on developing ideas for a proper BASI Members' portal that you might remember from discussions last year. (MyBasi.org.uk)
However nothing official came of it. I'm now planning on setting it up as an unofficial member-driven site.
Would you (or anyone else here) be available for offline discussion with a view to setting it up ?
ski holidays
@Dunk, no doubt, if there is protectionism here i'm not surprised and if that is deemed to be so i'm also not surprised a body trying to get into a 'protected' area (BASI -> France) will make concessions to be able to do that.

Not right; but it's the game, just played badly therefore people can see it....
latest report
@TTT, having read the rules, perhaps you can give a specific opinion.

In the event that someone submits a dossier, to which the authorities do not respond, is the person entitled to work?
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
@TTT, having read the rules, perhaps you can give a specific opinion.

In the event that someone submits a dossier, to which the authorities do not respond, is the person entitled to work?

I seem to recall they have a time limit to respond. Don't forget everything involving the French state has to be done by recorded delivery letter.
latest report
dogwatch wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

Can't actually. Many if not most people's IP address changes when their router reboots.

can actually, and has been done.

most recently with someone pretending to be "just a happy customer" and not related in any way to the operator they were promoting.
they got found out in quite a spectacularly embarrassing manner
and before that was some ski club pretending to be just a member, and they got found out PDQ

sure home user IP addresses change, but most that try to be clever and reboot after each post and/or post from 2 machines somewhere, end up leaving a trace or making a mistake. been there, done that, seen exactly that on another forum of which I was admin.

and I've had one ISP / router that uses dynamic IP, but a 24 hour lease, configured such that router reboot does NOT give a new IP within that 24hr period.

I have dynamic IP. Admin/Mods on here showed me the top 5 IPs I used. something like 80% of posts in the last year were from 2 unique addresses.
latest report
@davidof, yes, that's what I thought. Now that it's been established in court that the Megève crew did submit dossiers, if they didn't get anything in return (difficult to imagine they could have, since the Administration denied receiving them), then I can't see how their suspended convictions would not be overturned when the Administrative court completes its deliberation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy wrote:

sure home user IP addresses change, but most that try to be clever and reboot after each post and/or post from 2 machines somewhere, end up leaving a trace or making a mistake. been there, done that, seen exactly that on another forum of which I was admin.

that's why I always administer my sock army through an anonymous Tor access point via a zombie host.
snow report
or you could just change the mac address on your router before rebooting it, then you will get a new ip, or use a vpn, or a free proxy, or a chrome plugin that changes your location, or, or, or.
snow report
@davidof, @laundryman I think that it is stated quite clearly in the declaration documentation that a reply should be received within three months, and if none is received then then the declarer is to assume that there are no discrepancies.

The three month rule is really only pertinent when it comes to the administration claiming a significant difference between the declarer's qualifications and those of the host nation, and if such a significant difference is claimed, then proof of that difference is to be supplied, however, if there should be a significant difference proven (which has never been the case to date) at that point the administration are required to look at the declarer's professional experience and take that into consideration, it is only after that has also been determined insufficient (and clear indication given as to why that is the case) that the host nation can invoke the EU derogation and apply a test.

All of this is quite clearly stated within the relevant documentation, so having read all of the relevant documentation rather than forming an opinion upon what she has been told I really do not understand the stance which @TTT has taken in regards to this matter, with the claims or illegality, and non-conformity, etc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 7-05-15 12:55; edited 3 times in total
snow report
It is also worthy of note, that the documentation states that the declarer is free to start working as soon as their declaration has been submitted
snow report
@billy not a boy,

I have said the above to TTT, before on the forum. This has been ignored by just saying the ET is the significant difference. TTT, is unable to understand that the ET which is to be applied if there is a significant difference can not thus be the significant difference.
ski holidays
Quote:

a zombie host

a few of those round here, maybe.
latest report
andy wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

can actually, and has been done.

most recently with someone pretending to be "just a happy customer" and not related in any way to the operator they were promoting.
they got found out in quite a spectacularly embarrassing manner
and before that was some ski club pretending to be just a member, and they got found out PDQ

and I've had one ISP / router that uses dynamic IP, but a 24 hour lease, configured such that router reboot does NOT give a new IP within that 24hr period.

I have dynamic IP. Admin/Mods on here showed me the top 5 IPs I used. something like 80% of posts in the last year were from 2 unique addresses.

So it can be done sometimes. Even usually. That wasn't your assertion which was:

I can guarantee I could set up a sock puppet that consistently does not use the same IP as "dogwatch". Easy peasy. If I could be bothered, which I can't.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 7-05-15 12:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
speed098 wrote:
@billy not a boy,

I have said the above to TTT, before on the forum. This has been ignored by just saying the ET is the significant difference. TTT, is unable to understand that the ET which is to be applied if there is a significant difference can not thus be the significant difference.

Obviously she's not as clever as she would have us believe. Anyway, do zombies really care about socks?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 7-05-15 12:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
that wasn't my assertion. but all ip are logged for all posts. and all logged ip can be used in tracing.

but Admin et al only usually do that when it's going to be exceedingly embarrasing for whomever is trolling.
snow conditions
andy wrote:
that wasn't my assertion.

Your exact words, my bold.

ski holidays
No @dogwatch I think that was @ansta1
ski holidays
OK. Well whoever said it is correct that IP addresses can be logged and incorrect if they believe it reliably identifies people. Possibly you'd catch the careless and the stupid. But honestly. Post from a desktop PC versus a phone (not by WiFi). There's two different IPs available to practically everybody.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy