Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar I guess it doesn't really matter then!
I don't attend my association's agm's (but tbh I wouldn't really understand a word of it anyway!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stewart woodward wrote:
Anybody going to the AGM this weekend in Morzine?

You not going to be in Chatel then ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:

Quick question for davidof or anyone else who might know, how long is the "appeal period" that BASI refers to? How long before we know whether the French authorities will or will not appeal this judgement?

The appeal has been launched today by the French Secretary of State after lobbying by... BASI !
Simon Butler has had his carte professional refused by the Rhone-Alpes prefecture and still cannot work legally in France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Quick question for davidof or anyone else who might know, how long is the "appeal period" that BASI refers to? How long before we know whether the French authorities will or will not appeal this judgement?

The appeal has been launched today by the French Secretary of State after lobbying by... BASI !
Simon Butler has had his carte professional refused by the Rhone-Alpes prefecture and still cannot work legally in France.

Jesus wept. Jesus H Christ on a bike!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lobbying by BASI ! unbelievable
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2017/02/01/affaire-butler-le-secretaire-d-etat-aux-sports-fait-appel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:

Dare one say that putting it in this manner is deliberately inflammatory when the article states that the appeal was brought mainly through pressure put on by the snmsf...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing wrote:
davidof wrote:

Dare one say that putting it in this manner is deliberately inflammatory when the article states that the appeal was brought mainly through pressure put on by the snmsf...

I don't know, we'll have to wait for more information I suppose.

Quote:
Thierry Braillard, de faire appel de la décision du tribunal administratif, recevant le soutien des représentants de la profession en Italie mais aussi, et c’est un signe fort, de l’organisation BASI qui assure la formation en Angleterre et avec laquelle Butler a eu maille à partir.
(thanks for the link to the DL story - see above)

It is clear that BASI is (still) firmly behind the Eurotest as an integral part of the ski instructor training at the highest level. As a mere punter I don't have an issue with their position and there may be some very good reasons for it, especially with Brexit looming.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The thread that just keeps on giving 🙄

So glad I stopped my BASI subs.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gilo wrote:
The thread that just keeps on giving 🙄

So glad I stopped my BASI subs.

LOL!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The French appear quick to act against someone when the law is (apparently) on their side, yet seem to drag their feet somewhat when the law is against their interests. The smell of burning lamb wafting across the pistes .....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
offpisteskiing wrote:
davidof wrote:

What's the 'snmsf'?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Syndicat National des Moniteurs de Ski Français. Have you lost your Google? Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't need it @maggi, I have you x
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On a slightly different subject, the latest rumour is the BASI Marketing Director has resigned. Didn't last long?
latest report
The French trade union SNMSF is just playing for time, yet another appeal that will tie up Simon in court for years to avoid setting a precedent that BASI L3 and L4 without ET can work in France through the EU freedom of movement declaration process. My guess is that they are banking on delay until after Brexit and then Brit BASI members who aren't resident in France, or those who dont pay tax in France will be shown the door. Post brexit can you really see the French handing out loads of Visa's to British ski instructors? Does anyone know of a single non EU passport holding ski teacher who currently works in France ?

On the plus side when they lose the appeal it will set a case law precedent that will ensure France has to follow the deflation process and allow us good Europeans to work there. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
Does anyone know of a single non EU passport holding ski teacher who currently works in France ?

Yes a few. I don't know which systems they have trained with though, possibly the French one.
snow report
On another thread we have arguments for Scotland staying within the EU as this is what the SNP and the majority of Scots want.

On this thread we have a Scottish based company totally ignoring EU law, which has been confirmed by a French court, and siding with French protection!
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:

On this thread we have a Scottish based company totally ignoring EU law, which has been confirmed by a French court, and siding with French protection!

Following up on skimottaret's posts I imagine they are looking beyond a potential brexit and wanting to stick by agreements they made with the ESF. Also it would be a bit of an about turn to suddenly reject the Eurotest that they have been in favour of, so it is consistent. Having a possible access route post Brexit into the European market is probably in (some) of the member's interests.
snow conditions
For me and if I have read the French appeal reference correctly, although it has to be said my school French is now so old its efficacy is limited, it seems wholly inappropropriate for a UK based training organisation to support the French in a legal argument aimed at limiting access by its own members to working opportunities in France and potentially possibly elsewhere in Europe. Perhaps I am over simplifying!
The additional tragedy is that Simon is now faced with further ongoing uncertainty for goodness how long and then there will (may) be Brexit which will likely make it all academic anyway as the French (and other European countries) may well take a very hard line on cooperation with the UK vis a vis working and living in each others countries and frankly why should they not if we preclude Europeans from the UK.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Does anyone know of a single non EU passport holding ski teacher who currently works in France ?

Yes.
snow report
@offpisteskiing, @davidof, Interesting to hear that I honestly couldn't think of anyone, were they granted a working visa to operate as Carte Pro holders or are they trainees or ??
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
On the plus side when they lose the appeal it will set a case law precedent that will ensure France has to follow the deflation process and allow us good Europeans to work there. Toofy Grin

By which time we won't be European.

Can someone explain what BASI hope to achieve by supporting this appeal?
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
@offpisteskiing, @davidof, Interesting to hear that I honestly couldn't think of anyone, were they granted a working visa to operate as Carte Pro holders or are they trainees or ??

I think some of the Alpine Experience team have been through the ENSA system and there is a Chinese teacher in Courchevel who is qualified through the (French) ENSA system - but they need Chinese and Russian speakers in Courchevel so maybe the exceptions that prove the rule?
ski holidays
I know an Argentinian who worked in Meribel until this winter.
snow report
@rjs, yeah I think I know who you mean but wasn't another Argentinian BASI trainer booted out of France a while back? Wondering if these few people have the right to work through marriage, dual passport, grandparents etc. I dont come across as European for instance but carry a useful passport. snowHead
snow report
bar shaker wrote:

According to this quote from Donald Musk of BASI
Quote:
Donald Musk BASI is not involved in the appeal despite what this article may suggest

although he has not answered this question
Quote:
Donald will BASI ask Le Dauphine to kindly retract their statement in that case?
snow conditions
stewart woodward wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

According to this quote from Donald Musk of BASI
Quote:
Donald Musk BASI is not involved in the appeal despite what this article may suggest

although he has not answered this question
Quote:
Donald, Where's Your Troosers?

FIFY
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any news on this case? Needs reinvigorating for the 2017/18 season.
snow conditions
@Gerry, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I was thinking about this the other day and after looking into it via the internet which may not be the whole story it did seem that the whole thing has now died. Simon has returned to his chalet hotel in Megeve and is apparently looking forward to the new season and teaching as before together with many of his same team. Hopefully it has all been put to bed but you never know with the French so I think it must be a case of "watch this space" and how tour operators and others revise their offerings within the outcomes of Simons case.
ski holidays
........ and of course there will be the Brexit question!!
latest report
Butt hurt Butler WILL lose. Wutta horse's petunia.
snow report
What on earth, @arcsinice, is the petunia of a horse?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
What on earth, @arcsinice, is the petunia of a horse?

Well urbandictionary gives several definitions.

Given the context I presume arcsinice means either definition number 2, or possibly number 5.....

Possibly another case where the American(?) usage leaves us Brits a bit baffled. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@skimottaret,
Quote:

I dont come across as European

True Laughing
latest report
As requested: http://www.ledauphine.com//haute-savoie/2018/02/16/pas-de-prison-mais-amende-confirme

Happy New Year!
snow report
@patrick!, page doesn't exist
snow conditions
http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/02/16/pas-de-prison-mais-amende-confirmee
ski holidays
Crikey, so not put to bed at all! He wants to hope this gets sorted before uk leaves the Eu or he'll not be covered by their protection from France's diabolical legal system presumably?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy