Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
What BASI doesn't seem to consider is that it doesn't matter how much you polish a jobbie it is still a jobbie. No matter how high the pile of jobbie the smell will still linger.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although, as a colleague of mne once put it: "No, you can't polish a turd.... but I have a lot of glitter..."
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jimd, I was not suggesting the crap was only coming from one direction. Happy wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it prescient that One Direction is breaking up supposedly withe the intention to reform at some stage Toofy Grin rolling eyes Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jimd, a new entity rising from the ashes.
Another email about AofA in my inbox, I must read the latest....... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dunk, It is still diktat taking very little account of members responses to the directed questions as opposed to open discussion. - just like the "surveys". Perhaps why the proposed webinar did not go ahead - it would have to be published to the members and they would then get a different message. There again member apathy rules in that department. Perhaps that is why this course of action is being followed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dunk
Quote:

I would very much doubt any guide would ever pass anyone on a course if they were not worthy, the suggestion that he was "given" his EMS is totally absurd.
+1
Absurd, mean, and devalues otherwise good arguments made elsewhere.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Malaise Meleze wrote:
@dunk
Quote:

I would very much doubt any guide would ever pass anyone on a course if they were not worthy, the suggestion that he was "given" his EMS is totally absurd.
+1
Absurd, mean, and devalues otherwise good arguments made elsewhere.

Hopefully it is but I do no of someone being "gifted" a pass for favours but that person was very close to the pass level but just could not quite get the extra couple points for the pass no matter how much they tried. This was many years ago so I would hope things like this do not happen anymore but I understand the question being raised due to what people are saying this person did and how badly BASI board are conducting themselves.

EDIT.

Better add this was not in skiing or ML but was in a sport but no real safety issue just ability/level of teaching.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Absurd, mean, and devalues otherwise .............

Would that apply to selective grandfather rights as well? Or removing an MOU due to administrative reasons that have never been explained. Or pursuing personal grievances though the association complaints procedure because there is no justifiable remedy elsewhere.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jimd
Quote:

Would that apply to selective grandfather rights as well? Or removing an MOU due to administrative reasons that have never been explained. Or pursuing personal grievances though the association complaints procedure because there is no justifiable remedy elsewhere.

No, it doesn't apply to any of those at all Smile
To me there is a difference between those incredible examples, and this, which seems more like innuendo without any evidence, and a particularly personal attack.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@speed098
Quote:

I understand the question being raised

Yes me too. But maybe don't get carried away and lose the highground, is what I am suggesting. Nasty personal attacks keep people entertained on this thread, but they detract from the important things, imo.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Malaise Meleze wrote:
Nasty personal attacks keep people entertained on this thread, but they detract from the important things, imo.
+1
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[/quote]
Nasty personal attacks keep people entertained on this thread, but they detract from the important things, imo.[/quote]

+2

But it happens in all walks of life. ( nasty personal attacks ) I just do not understand people who feel they need to do so, or take pleasure in ruining someone else's enjoyment/pleasure in an activity and skiing is not isolated Archery is as bad right to the top as well.
We all love our given sport/s and should learn to love that others love that sport to after all it would be pretty boring/expensive being the only person doing that sport.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dunk wrote:
The EMS is a course required by BASI but run by mountain guides. I would very much doubt any guide would ever pass anyone on a course if they were not worthy, the suggestion that he was "given" his EMS is totally absurd.

Some of the crap on here is totally unreal.

I've skied with a few of the guides who do the EMS courses, and there's just no way anything like that would be entertained. A few people in here must be on skunk, if not something even stronger.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gerry wrote:
tA few people in here must be on skunk, if not something even stronger.

Just a few Shocked Laughing
snow report
Dunk wrote:
The EMS is a course required by BASI but run by mountain guides. I would very much doubt any guide would ever pass anyone on a course if they were not worthy, the suggestion that he was "given" his EMS is totally absurd.

Some of the crap on here is totally unreal.

That is good to know Dunc and Gerry, but bear in mind that the coincidence was only discussed as a possible motivation. It is extremely reassuring to learn that BASI qualifications cannot be bought for favours. The fly in the ointment there of course is that the particular module under discussion is not actually a BASI qualification, but is rather a BASI requirement toward a qualification, nevertheless it is good to know that this module cannot be bought.

This then leads one back to question what the motivation for said individual to report SB for teaching could be; whether or not the alleged incidents did actually occur as perceived by said individual.

I have commented on things which I have witnessed, both good and bad. I have offered a scenario and listed some questions which this scenario would raise: Yes I have drawn conclusions based upon some of those things, and I've offered a couple of possibilities (envy, possible bribery), but I don't believe I have taken part in any personal attacks.

BlubaBluba has also mentioned things which they have personally witnessed, but again I don't see any personal attacks in that posting.

I am still intrigued by the actions of this individual, and really would like to know what motivated the "complaint".
ski holidays
@billy not a boy, yeah, you've been very careful not to name names (including your own!) but you did cast doubt on the integrity of some respected mountain guides.
latest report
Malaise Meleze wrote:
@jimd
Quote:

No, it doesn't apply to any of those at all Smile
To me there is a difference between those incredible examples, and this, which seems more like innuendo without any evidence, and a particularly personal attack.

There is no innuendo present, or personal attack, but as mentioned it is rather coincidental and causes one's eyebrows to raise slightly. Fortunately however, there are others commenting on this thread whom can speak for the side of reason and show that it is most likely just coincidence
snow report
Gerry wrote:
... but you did cast doubt on the integrity of some respected mountain guides.

Not at all Gerry, I have only ever questioned the integrity of The BASI board and executive.
snow conditions
Gerry wrote:
@billy not a boy, yeah, you've been very careful not to name names (including your own!)

... last time I looked, my monika on here clearly states what my name is.
ski holidays
billy not a boy wrote:
Gerry wrote:
... but you did cast doubt on the integrity of some respected mountain guides.

Not at all Gerry, I have only ever questioned the integrity of The BASI board and executive.

Really.
snow report
billy not a boy wrote:
Gerry wrote:
@billy not a boy, yeah, you've been very careful not to name names (including your own!)

... last time I looked, my monika on here clearly states what my name is.

Really.
snow report
Gerry wrote:
... Really.

Yes really.
snow conditions
billy not a boy wrote:
Gerry wrote:
... Really.

Yes really.

conjecture away then.
snow conditions
Gerry wrote:
conjecture away then.

Conjecture : noun
Conjectural : adjective

Noun : a word that is the name of something (such as a person, animal, place, thing, quality, idea, or action) and is typically used in a sentence as subject or object of a verb or as object of a preposition
Adjective : a describing word, the main syntactic role of which is to qualify a noun

Verb : a word (such as jump, think, happen, or exist ) that is usually one of the main parts of a sentence and that expresses an action, an occurrence, or a state of being

One can do a verb, one cannot do a noun or an adjective.
snow report
So one cannot 'do one' ? English language is so complicated wink
ski holidays
mayr wrote:
So one cannot 'do one' ? English language is so complicated wink

Have you ever 'done a few beers'? It's not allowed.
snow report
Quote:

So one cannot 'do one' ? English language is so complicated

How many somersaults can one do. I can do one. There you go done one. Did it for me. Thats it. I'm done.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two fine examples of English grammar and punctuation, thank you. I am feeling so much better now Shocked
latest report
It's fine - 'conjecture' is a transitive and intransitive verb in both English and in French:
conjecture [sth],
conjecture that vtr (speculate) conjecturer⇒ vtr
présumer⇒ vtr
conjecture vi (speculate, form suppositions) conjecturer⇒ vi
supposer⇒ vtr

I reckon if you keep the suppositions separate from the facts, you will bring more of us with you Cool
snow conditions
Blimey. And people say I'm a pedant! Confused Shocked
latest report
@Hurtle, Laughing "conjecture" might be strictly correct as a transitive verb but rather clumsy, don't you think? Not much better as a transitive one, for that matter.
latest report
@pam w, agreed. Whether strictly correct or not, it sounds clunky.
snow report
Right, that's resolved. As you were, gents......
snow conditions
@billy not a boy, I could imagine many reasons why the individual made these complaints, but even with my most colourful dreams "soliciting favours from BASI" is not amongst them.

I would also add, I can see no value in the individuals vindictive and misplaced behaviour and I deplore what they have done.
ski holidays
I would postulate that "postulate" is better as a verb than "conjecture". And vice versa as a noun.
ski holidays
Postulate bor would be Norfolk for missing the last collection.
latest report
So, should i out these individuals who complained about Simon Butler?

I personally think people would be interested to see the conflict of interest involved.
snow conditions
Teacher wrote:
So, should i out these individuals who complained about Simon Butler?

I personally think people would be interested to see the conflict of interest involved.

Why not Puzzled We need something to keep us entertained for the next few weeks wink
latest report
I think you should, as they will never have the guts to own up and defend their insidious back stabbing!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy