Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
@billy not a boy, no idea but lets get it all out in the open wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Allegedly reported for skiing with his own children! Some people are really pathetic.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Allegedly reported for skiing with his own children! Some people are really pathetic

Once you step thru ski instructor doors, to avoid accusations of teaching illegally and denouncing letters being written to h.q. Embarassed it would be best to refrain from skiing altogether. If I really must ski, I now make sure that I do so only with fully certified people: always ring up the office to check their true status - don't rely on a simple license check, it may not tell you the true story. If the person is not trained as a ski instructor, I simply drop into the police station the day before and announce my intention to ski with my friend. The police are very sweet and it's normally fine - they rarely object, even though I am only a level 3. They do of course trail me and sequester my bank account to ensure no money changes hands, but I understand they are only doing their job. I admit as I am not yet a level 4 it does actually take a weight off my mind, telling the police that I intend to bravely ski with someone. It does lack spontaneity, granted, but it's the only prudent thing to do: the authorities have to be alert to this kind of flagrant abuse.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Malaise Meleze, why need to go to police station? Can you not just ring BASI hotline for permission to ski? The police probably have to check with them in any case before giving you permission.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Teacher wrote:
it's amazing how two faced some people are and who is just a treacherous disgusting creature who will get named unless he comes out and explains why he did this to Simon Butler after working for him for so long.

Are you saying that one of SB's own previous employees was responsible for reporting him to BASI for teaching in France last season?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Malaise Meleze wrote:
Once you step thru ski instructor doors, to avoid accusations of teaching illegally and denouncing letters being written to h.q. Embarassed it would be best to refrain from skiing altogether.

It's very difficult to tell sarcasm when it's written ... please tell me that sarcasm is what this is?!

Malaise Meleze wrote:
If I really must ski, I now make sure that I do so only with fully certified people: always ring up the office to check their true status - don't rely on a simple license check, it may not tell you the true story. If the person is not trained as a ski instructor, I simply drop into the police station the day before and announce my intention to ski with my friend.

Seriously? You inform the police prior to going skiing with someone? This is just lunacy. Whether one is a qualified instructor or not, going skiing with someone is NOT a crime, EVER

Malaise Meleze wrote:
The police are very sweet and it's normally fine - they rarely object, even though I am only a level 3. They do of course trail me and sequester my bank account to ensure no money changes hands, but I understand they are only doing their job.

The police are very sweet and it's normally fine? WTF?? There is nothing for the police to get upset about. Anyone who purchases a pass for the mountain can ski it, in fact anyone can ski the mountain whether they purchase a lift pass or not, the lift pass is there for the use of lifts!! It is not a crime to ski, and there is nothing for the police to ever be concerned about -unless the skiing is dangerous and endangers other mountain users etc. (normal caveats apply) ... informing the police that you are going skiing, hah!

I don't go to my local police station and tell them every time I'm going out driving with someone who does not hold a licence! Do you?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@billy not a boy, pretty sure it was all satire.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
like I said ... hard to tell.

Especially when I've been back a few pages and read a load of bull excrement that Waitrose was spouting ... It's really difficult to tell the jokes from the beliefs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Are you saying that one of SB's own previous employees was responsible for reporting him to BASI for teaching in France last season?

That is the rumour and supposedly he was teaching adults not his kids on the day in question. Quite sad really that two current board members and a previous employee would shop him..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jeez!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@billy not a boy, I phoned Basi on Friday and pretended to be a reporter, started laying it on thick and it's amazing how quickly they would drop each other in it, took at least 45 seconds to find out who had reported Simon Butler to the disciplinary board, and another 15 seconds to find out who wrote the emails to the Italians, they know they are in the poo-poo and are now naming names to divert the blame from certain individuals.
Would the last person to leave Basi please turn off the lights and stop costing it's members more money.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Teacher wrote:
@billy not a boy, I phoned Basi on Friday and pretended to be a reporter, started laying it on thick and it's amazing how quickly they would drop each other in it, took at least 45 seconds to find out who had reported Simon Butler to the disciplinary board, and another 15 seconds to find out who wrote the emails to the Italians, they know they are in the poo-poo and are now naming names to divert the blame from certain individuals.
Would the last person to leave Basi please turn off the lights and stop costing it's members more money.

So it seems then that they do not mind the names being in the public domain ... perhaps David Goldsmith did not need to redact names in his post after all. There is no diverting of blame from anyone, their names are against the emails, and the complaints, the roles they hold within the organisation, and the legal documents.

They know that they are in poo-poo and they attempt to do nothing about it beyond making matters worse for themselves. These people really do come across as complete idiots.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sunday afternoon fun.
Roll on October for the next court date.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, the EX employee from Simon Butler Skiing you have until Friday morning to explain why you wrote to the disciplinary board at Basi after everything that Simon Butler did for you over the years.
Every Basi member will be disgusted to know who it is and your motives behind it.
DISGUSTED.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I doubt that this ex employee is a snowheads member @Teacher.

I also doubt that every BASI member will be disgusted ... remember that the CEO is a BASI member, as is the Secretary to the Board of Directors, and these two also made complaints against SB -don't forget their vested interests either, due to SB's business being in perceived competition with these two chaps' businesses in the same area.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 23-08-15 19:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
As an outsider (just a skiing punter/customer) I view the unfolding events with the BASI management with incredulity, it's the morbid fascination of watching a train wreck....
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
As an outsider (just a skiing punter/customer) I view the unfolding events with the BASI management with incredulity, it's the morbid fascination of watching a train wreck....

+1
ski holidays
+2. I have little or no idea about the rules, the personalities or the history but BASI do seem singularly inept. They seem to react ad hoc to everything rather than having any clear strategy. It gives the impression of an organisation which needs to improve its governance.
ski holidays
@Teacher, it is quite common knowledge amongst many of my peers who this person is.
The word spreads easily enough without public outing.
ski holidays
Teacher wrote:

billy not a boy wrote:

So it seems then that they do not mind the names being in the public domain ... perhaps David Goldsmith did not need to redact names in his post after all. There is no diverting of blame from anyone, their names are against the emails, and the complaints, the roles they hold within the organisation, and the legal documents.

There are various points to make here (bearing in mind that the two contributors above are retaining anonymity):

1. I trusted that the emails were authentic, on receipt of them, but could not be certain. (BASI were informed, prior to publication, that the emails were in my hands). In those circumstances, without absolute assurance that the material was genuine, to have disclosed the author's name - or any of the cc identities - would not have been sensible or responsible. The authenticity of the emails has not subsequently been disputed by BASI.

2. Teacher's comments above seem slightly far-fetched, and are anonymous, and - with no disrespect - maybe are best left floating in the air.

3. As a former BASI member it seemed to me that the author's name, or for that matter the ID of anyone who might have authorised the author, was of less significance (if one continues to view BASI as an association) than the collective responsibility of the Association. BASI has a board of directors, and they can decide what to do. Conversely, any member of BASI is at liberty (with hopefully no exposure to them) to request the ID of the emails' author.

4. In journalistic terms there is no reason, as such, why the identity of the emails' author cannot be revealed. BASI has been offered an opportunity to comment on related matters and have - perhaps not surprisingly - opted not to do so at this juncture.

5. The emails were, of course, leaked, and it's probably fair to say that their exposure in the public domain was not desired by BASI. I think it's fair for any disclosure of the author's name etc. to be a matter for BASI, as things stand ... and maybe until the trial in Edinburgh is over. This is quite a large and significant case and something for strict application of the law, rather than 'trial by media', especially 'trial of specific person(s) in the media' when - as I say - an Association carries overall collective responsibility.

[sorry that was a bit long-winded]
snow report
@Dunk, And how do you feel about this person doing what he has done, also how many peers are there compared to the amount of members that don't know.
Do you believe that everyone deserves to know who this person is.
snow conditions
[A benchmark for trusting (or applying maximum scepticism of) primary source material remains the 'Hitler diaries' - "... sixty volumes of journals ... purchased in 1983 for 9.3 million Deutsche Marks ($3.7 million), by the West German news magazine Stern, who sold serialisation rights to several news organisations, notably The Sunday Times."
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Diaries ]
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
The emails were, of course, leaked, and it's probably fair to say that their exposure in the public domain was not desired by BASI.

Congratulations David, I think that's one statement of yours that no one here on snowHeads would dispute! Laughing
ski holidays
@Teacher, personally I feel he has been a Judas.

Many members would not care about him, why should they?

Probably better to let them stew in the vindictive world that they have created for themselves.
snow report
He will be lucky to get his 30 pieces of silver from BASI, but I did hear a rumour that he allegedly passed a course he hasn't been able to pass previously. I doubt he will get his legal bills paid by SB in future though.
snow conditions
I'd agree with @David Goldsmith that all members of the BASI board share responsibilities for the organisation's actions. Any board member who strongly disagrees should resign.
ski holidays
@pam w, two of them have done, on principle. I suspect there's now nobody on the inside of the tent moderating the inner circle, who seem to have gone quite mad.
latest report
Quote:

two of them have done, on principle

Three actually the secretary resigned on principle as well. It would appear there are none with principles left!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jimd wrote:

Three actually the secretary resigned on principle as well. It would appear there are none with principles left!!

The most recent secretary @jimd?
snow conditions
I just do not understand how the members have not asked for either the resignation of the board or their suspension, that is just for how they conducted themselves re the expulsion of SB and nothing else. It does not matter if he is guilty or innocent he had the right to put his case across in front of the board and possibly the members if as has been stated there is a conflict of interest with some board members.
If SB eventually goes on to win his case the membership doing the above could help negate some compensation to SB ( they could officially re-instate his membership pending the French court case and on condition no further issues arise ).
latest report
@billy not a boy, To be clear, it was sarcasm. The situation needs satire, even if it is uncomfortably close to the truth. Aside from the absurdity in this actual case, logically any qualified ski instructor 'but below the level' may now apparently be 'reported' for suspected teaching when social skiing with friends and/or family? Ridiculous 'strategy', to make a qualification a trap.....
ski holidays
doesn't it have to be paid/remunerated in some way to be illegal ?
snow report
Yes. No money can change hands. Skiing with a paying guest could be illegal. Skiing with your friends or family should, of course, be ok.
latest report
Little Martin wrote:
doesn't it have to be paid/remunerated in some way to be illegal ?

Hope he does not ski with his wife !
It could land them both in serious trouble with payment in kind being sited Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

Hope he does not ski with his wife !
It could land them both in serious trouble with payment in kind being sited

Absolutely, and this is the point. Another situation to be avoided. Any skiing should be undertaken with extreme caution once you hold a qualification.
wink
ski holidays
speed098 wrote:
I just do not understand how the members have not asked for either the resignation of the board or their suspension, that is just for how they conducted themselves re the expulsion of SB and nothing else. It does not matter if he is guilty or innocent he had the right to put his case across in front of the board and possibly the members if as has been stated there is a conflict of interest with some board members.
If SB eventually goes on to win his case the membership doing the above could help negate some compensation to SB ( they could officially re-instate his membership pending the French court case and on condition no further issues arise ).

Not enough of the membership actually care about their association. This i one of the main problems that the BASI has at the moment. Many are not a part of the association for any reason beyond the fact that in order to obtain a qualification one has to be a member, so in effect many of the membership are only members by proxy (if you catch my drift).

Secondly, those of the membership who would care about such matters are mostly ISTD level and operating in France under the protectionist regime, and therefore feel that it is not in THEIR best interests to rock the boat. Those inadequate inept buffoons running the show in Grantown on Spey are serving these ISTD individuals well by maintaining the BASI-SNMSF synergy.

They mostly see SB as a trouble maker whom in all probability "deserves all that he gets" ... Waitrose and her band of merry men, are so rectally inserted that they cannot see the inconsistencies for the pancreatic juices.
ski holidays
billy not a boy wrote:
Waitrose and her band of merry men, are so rectally inserted that they cannot see the inconsistencies for the pancreatic juices.

Is this really necessary?
In the unlikely event that it is ... and I don't know if it's in the Waitrose or BASI manuals (my membership lapsed quite a while ago) ...

On a serious note, "billy not a boy's" opening words are probably more objective and sensible than the closing ones ...

billy not a boy wrote:
Not enough of the membership actually care about their association.

The next general meeting of BASI is on 7 November at the Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead ...

Pre Notice of BASI General Meeting 07 November 2015
http://www.basi.org.uk/article/pre-notice-of-basi-general-meeting-07-november-2015-.aspx
snow report
Completely necessary ... and thanks for the diagram, a perfect illustration of how far one has to be inserted to garner interference from the pancreas.
snow conditions
Next meeting at Hemel, will it be as much fun as last years at the ski show?
ski holidays
Dunk wrote:
Next meeting at Hemel, will it be as much fun as last years at the ski show?

The resolution will not be televised !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy