Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI sued for £500 000

Poster: A snowHead
laundryman wrote:
@ajc2260626, Jean-Yves Lapeyrère, lawyer, mayor of the resort of Mijoux, fully qualified ski instructor and head of the trade group European Confederation of Outdoor Employers.

And would have been a great person to be able lulled out of the bag by the defence if it wasn't for the obvious conflict of interest.....

http://www.sbski.com/resorts/mijoux
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
laundryman wrote:
@ajc2260626, Jean-Yves Lapeyrère, lawyer, mayor of the resort of Mijoux, fully qualified ski instructor and head of the trade group European Confederation of Outdoor Employers.

And would have been a great person to be able lulled out of the bag by the defence if it wasn't for the obvious conflict of interest.....

http://www.sbski.com/resorts/mijoux

Seems like a nice place. Only £795 per week with Juan guiding/instructing. Sounds tempting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And yes, it seems he doesn't like the Eurotest.
School bus driver against Nigel Mansell

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/296931.stm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cameronphillips2000, what conflict of interest? I'm sure JYL's legal points (or some of them), will be put before French and Scottish courts of law, and the judges will weigh them with other points when examining the evidence. His points either carry weight or not, and his economic interests don't come into it. The main point (as regarding potential conflict of interest or lack thereof) is that JYL doesn't get to decide anything.

Now, a power to remove licenses from local business competitors, that's a conflict of interest, which I imagine will be of interest to the Edinburgh court.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@laundryman, exactly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, what conflict of interest? I'm sure JYL's legal points (or some of them), will be put before French and Scottish courts of law, and the judges will weigh them with other points when examining the evidence. His points either carry weight or not, and his economic interests don't come into it. The main point (as regarding potential conflict of interest or lack thereof) is that JYL doesn't get to decide anything.

Now, a power to remove licenses from local business competitors, that's a conflict of interest, which I imagine will be of interest to the Edinburgh court.

Defence. 'We'd like to introduce an independent witness: Jean...... Mayor or.... Chairman of confederation of.......

Prosecution. 'Jean, do you work for ?Mr Butler's company as a guide/instructor?'

Jean. 'Yes'

rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jean, have you ever been arrested for working as an illegal instructor/guide?

yes.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what Jean says. But on watching the video with the Euronflag and his confederation intro you get the impression he's some independent Eurocrat trying to give the EU stance on it.

Whereas he's actually an independent instructor/guide who's got himself in the position of major and chair of the confederation of outdoor workers or whatever. What he says is actually very good. It would sound a lot better if it came from the chair often the confederation of outdoor workers if the chair did not have his history or links with SB.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, I doubt JYL will be a witness because, well, he hasn't witnessed anything. I doubt even that he would be called as an expert witness, because his relevant expertise is law, and the advocates and judges can handle that, I presume. Maybe he will be SB's advocate in France, but then it is clear an advocate has an interest in his client's success. I'd have thought that potential conflicts of interest for the parties to the dispute is much more relevant.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, far less a Scottish or French lawyer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clearly it would appear that he's got a vested interest and is on one side of the argument, however if he's on the "right side of the argument" then it doesn't really matter as at the end of the day the right side of the argument will be determined by the courts..... and if the agree with him all that it means is that SB & Co are the in the right and that esf / basi aren't and vica versa if the courts decide the other way......
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just watched the video, was taken in and then did a bit of googling and it came across a bit like Simon's mate Jean sets up a video camera in an office with a Euro flag and starts speaking with the authority of Jaques Delores. It all just feels a bit orchestrated.

I'm no lawyer, or instructor but the whole episode does seem far more about politics and money than quality, safe instruction. To me, the Eurotest race is ludicrous. Mournho was a translator and Saatchi a shoe salesman. Two of the greatest coaches ever.
I have dealt with many schools and instructors though over the years as I organised many school trips. There was a huge variance in quality so regulation is good.
I also managed many PE teachers over the years, a world with more than it's of testosterone, ego, posturing and macho men. ski instruction was much the same. The industry would be far better off controlled by women. I found they generally made far better instructors for the mass market (kids)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the whole episode does seem far more about politics and money than quality, safe instruction

of course it is. none of it is about anything other than french protectionism and basi's collusion in a rather distasteful and murky history.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Exemptions to the Euro test "Grand Father Rights" and MoU's were being given to the 200 Spanish holding their highest level instructors who qualified prior to 6th Feb 2012 (see section 2) The suggestion that their was some kind of cut off point that Simon did not meet simply does not stand up...
http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/MoU_Meeting_Report_24022012.pdf
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is the protectionism aspect of this likely to be considered by the European court?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whether or not the French view that the ability to ski extremely fast is a valid criterion for being a coach or the head of a ski school, I can't see how BASI can possibly come out of this without a catastrophic amount of egg on its face. Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@waitrose, are you TTT resurrected? Your rhetoric seems curiously similar.

You win £5
snow report
@Hurtle, I presume it will look at the letter of the directive, but since its premise (in the first recital) is "whereas the abolition of obstacles, as between the member states, to the free movement of people and services is an objective of the Community", protectionism is the core of the matter I believe.

Edit: but I feel nervous expounding to a lawyer!
snow conditions
@laundryman, please don't, I'm no longer a lawyer in any meaningful sense! I had just lost track of whether the issue was going to the European Court at all, or whether it's likely to stop somewhere in the French legal system.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, the appeal in France led to acquitals and suspensions, pending examination by the Administrative Court of the legality of the prefecture's processing of the dossiers. If the prefecture acted illegally, then the suspensions will become acquitals I believe, and there it would rest (until some other excuse for harassment arises - to be partisan). Otherwise, the next step is an appeal to Paris, followed by an appeal to the European Court, if necessary. So, potentially a long way to go. I honestly don't think the various French schools, unions, administrations care whether they win or lose; the point has been made that if you want to challenge them with an innovative business model, you'd better have deep pockets, a thick skin and single-minded determination. As you say, the BASI panjandrums have more to lose.
latest report
Ah, thanks, I'd forgotten what stage the litigation had reached. Whilst I'm not always a fan of the European Court, it would be interesting to have their pronouncement. But then I'm not paying the bills, nor am I a BASI member, thank God.
snow report
There has been a lot of focus on this thread about SB and his personal position. However, is the issue not also about the wider issue of ISTD qualified school owners employing lesser qualified instructors who have not gone through the french system and passed the Test Technique? Or am I barking totally up the wrong tree?
ski holidays
@Gaza, I think it is. But could easily be wrong.
ski holidays
@Gaza, yes, it's all part of it. After the court case in 2006, SB was allowed to employ non-ISTDs without ET or TT. The court found that no substantial differences could be demonstrated between the training and experience of his then employees (mostly the same lot involved in the current case) and French people doing similar things. However, I think this was decided at a court of first instance, wasn't appealed by the authorities, and therefore a binding precedent wasn't set. But I could be wrong on that.
snow report
So a question, SB was blackballed for supposedly bringing BASI into disrepute, judging however from the comments and criticisms that the directors of BASI who acted in this way it could be easily argued that their actions have done far more damage to BASI and have bought that organisation into far more disrepute than SB's actions, will they therefore be asked to quit or resign because of this ?
latest report
@D G Orf, if it were me in SBs position I think I would be bringing personal lawsuits against them, not just against BASI as an organisation!
ski holidays
Anyone fancy having a shot at a timeline for this.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

When the eurotest was introduced circa 2002 all existing top level BASI instructors were able to apply for exemption as part of the deal.
There are many older french and UK instructors who never sat a euro test.

Why simon butler never applied back then seems odd.

You could ask the same of the other 18 who missed out at the same time. SB was not the only one.
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

There was a cut off date for the so called grandfsther rights.
Other BASI memebers who missed it, for what ever reason, subsequently had to do euro test.

The application process was re-opened last year.

Those who missed it did not have to do the ET; they may have decided to do it. I personally know of two who applied when the window was opened last year and both have had their applications turned down due to lack of experience (substantial difference in training rubbish). What the lack of experience is has not been defined by the French who are stalling (as ever) on clarifying the situation.

One of whom I know and have worked with has also been a trainer and has numerous years of seasonal work under his belt. The spurious substantial difference is little more than a blocking ploy. Both the people I know can prove years of experience as Grade 1's.
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
So a question, SB was blackballed for supposedly bringing BASI into disrepute, judging however from the comments and criticisms that the directors of BASI who acted in this way it could be easily argued that their actions have done far more damage to BASI and have bought that organisation into far more disrepute than SB's actions, will they therefore be asked to quit or resign because of this ?

It's clear to me that this situation is not clear cut. BASI should wait till the courts are clear on what wrong (if any) has been committed before moving ahead with any action. If BASI are at fault then those responsible should not stay in post and may have some legal questions to answer themselves.

Until the court process has been duly dealt with it's difficult to call for anyone to resign. It is sounding more and more like a vendetta.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The fly in the ointment is that SB has an Italian MOU. The Italians knew that SB did not have Eurotest. The therefore approved his application on the basis that his professional experience compensated for any substantial difference. EXACTLY what the French should have done and applied the same logic to later Grade 1's applying for equivalence and yet are still turning down the initial group based on 'substantial difference.'
snow report
skison wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

There was a cut off date for the so called grandfsther rights.
Other BASI memebers who missed it, for what ever reason, subsequently had to do euro test.

The application process was re-opened last year.

^ Really ? Didn't know that.....
Do you have a web link ? (english or french).

AFAIK the original "grandfather rights" deal granted anyone with an old BASI grade 1 an exemption
- so long as they applied before a certain date (2005-ish ?). This exemption was, as far as I know, irrespective of experience and part of the deal signed when the euro test came into force.
snow conditions
It wasn't an automatic process. Those who were eligible still needed BASI backing to tick of the application to the French. Hence there are a number who were eligible but are currently shut out.
snow conditions
^ do you have a web link ?
I have never heard of this...
ski holidays
@skison, I don't think anyone in that group (20+?) who applied for a Carte Pro were granted it, unless you heard differently?
snow report
I wonder how the court will view BASI trying to interfere with SB Italian status while proceeding are running.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ do you have a web link ?
I have never heard of this...

This was common knowledge last year. I believe there were comments/discussions on FB as well as snowHead
ski holidays
The whole thing seems odd to me as an outsider, if I understand things correctly (and maybe I don't) BASI did a deal with the french whereby those with the top level of instruction before a certain date should have been given an automatic right to an MOU card, but then it seems that said members had to apply before a certain date and it seems some of those members did not get their MOU, but some did, then roll forward a number of years and we find that senior BASI members appear to have something against one particular member who just happens to have a rival ski school to one they have an interest in and all of a sudden his MOU is revoked, the French are informed and arrest SB and some of his instructors and then BASI remove his membership claiming he bought the organisation into dispute.

If I'd been in BASI at a high level when the original ruling came in 10+ years ago I'd have simply contacted the members concerned (we are only talking about relatively small numbers here) and sent them their cards, why this wasn't done is a mystery, why they are now saying that some people were not as well qualified as others with the same level of training is a similar mystery.

Something smells of long dead fish SB has so far as I can see broken French rules regarding running a ski school, however those rules seem to go against EU rules, BASI seem to have not been looking after their own members interests and from last year or maybe the previous one I also recall tales of financial irregularities..... It does not make good reading
snow report
Quote:

if I understand things correctly (and maybe I don't) BASI did a deal with the french

Lots of people refer to BASI deals with "the French", seemingly at different times and with different terms. Only one is in the public domain I think: the so-called Satolas agreement. Ostensibly, that concerns snowboard instructors, although some clauses are wider. It also refers to the ISTD, not the MoU, which hadn't been invented at that time.

The Satolas agreement is bilateral, between BASI and the SNMSF, a French trade union that, as far as I am aware, like BASI, has no official standing. I cannot see that an agreement between two private organisations can take away rights established by European law (and incorporated in French and British and other national law). The Satolas agreement does stipulate that the two organisations will agree to grant specific individuals (British snowboard instructors and British ski instructors who passed a disputed ET in Germany) ISTD status.

The MoU, on the other hand, is agreed at the official European level. The MoU stamp that it defines is a convenience, enabling officialdom to quickly recognise the qualification status of its holder, and not a requirement to practise. I don't believe that there is anything in the MoU that grants any country the right to black-ball any individual who meets the criteria. I'm not aware of anything in the MoU that states some ISTDs are more equal than others, and that only they can get an MoU.

I'd be delighted to get further information (honestly); but when people disagree with me, they seem only to provide vague allusions, and never chapter and verse. I imagine that BASI will have to be much more specific in court and, if they can produce further agreements, will have to demonstrate that they do not amount to private organisations attempting to subvert the law.
snow conditions
@laundryman, you are correct in your appraisal that the Satolas agreement has nothing to do with this current issue.

As you note, the agreement was drawn up between BASI and the SNMSF, and it was seen at the time (rightly or wrongly) as a win for BASI. It enabled those who were at the time disallowed their Euro Test pass due to some questionable events surrounding a test held in Garmisch to obtain their ISTD certificates with the ET pass, but the main purpose of the agreement and the win as far as BASI were concerned was for some BASI Snowboard instructors who currently held top level qualifications to be given an ISTD an consequently a Carte Pro even though they had not themselves passed the ET. In that agreement BASI stated that they would not recognize at a European level any other DIPLOMA other than the ISTD. It did NOT state that they would not recognise any other qualification.

This current SB thing has nothing to do with the Satolas agreement.

It does, however have everything to do with the conditions under which the MOU stamp can be awarded to snowsprts instructors (be that for snowboarding or skiing). There are some firm guidelines issued to each "authority" which has been mandated with ADMINISTRATIVE task of issuing the MOU stamp/sticker on an instructor's licence (another questionable area as far as UK snowsports is concerned, bu that is a digression).

In those guidelines it is expressly stated that:

The MOU sticker will be awarded to those instructors holding the authority's highest level of qualification AND the Euro Test.

However, there are caveats to this:

All individuals who held said level of certification PRIOR to 2012 are NOT required to also have passed the Euro Test.

I'm no lawyer, but from my reading of the MOU memorandum, it is quite straight forward.

BASI however have claimed that their administrative error in issuing SB with his MOU stamp is based upon the fact that he has not passed the Euro Test. Look at the chronology here:

SB attained his Grade 1 with BASI in 1986
SB was omitted from the original list of those given grandfather rights due to ANOTHER administrative error
SB was granted his "grandfather rights" and eventually given his full ISTD in 2008 (I believe that was the year, but I could be wrong)

Now by my reckoning, 2008 is most assuredly prior to 2012, the cut off date for the requirement of having passed the ET in order to obtain the MOU stamp.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 17-08-15 18:04; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@D G Orf,

Quote:

If I'd been in BASI at a high level when the original ruling came in 10+ years ago I'd have simply contacted the members concerned (we are only talking about relatively small numbers here) and sent them their cards, why this wasn't done is a mystery, why they are now saying that some people were not as well qualified as others with the same level of training is a similar mystery.

The reason for this I believe is that it was not a simple matter of just giving the top level holders their ISTD because the new Level 4 also consisted of another couple of modules

1. The Euro Test
2. EMS (mountain safety)

not everyone had to do the ET, but everyone did have to do the EMS.

How do we know that not everyone had to take the ET? Well that's because there are a number of old BASI Grade 1 holder's who were converted to ISTD WITHOUT taking the ET.

The argument put forth by the current CEO of BASI, when I spoke to him and questioned him on the matter of SB and his MOU sticker, was that he (the CEO) did not need to have passed the ET because he had already taken the Cappa prior to the ET forming a part of the BASI qualifications pathway. However, as noted in my previous post about the terms under which the MOU can be awarded, there is no mention of any test other than the Euro Test. Therefore it is (or at least should be) plain for all to see, that those members of "the boys club" only have the spirit of the document applied to them, whereas the outliers (SB, and others) have the letter applied to them.

How does that look to you? It looks pretty dodgy to me.

EDITED to include the following:

Those who did not take the ET it seems had taken the Cappa because they had themselves enrolled in the French qualifications system. The "grandfather rights" applied to Grade 1 holders was the relaxing of the ET requirement.
snow report
billy not a boy, I would expect the old CAPA to be held as equivalent to the Eurotest in the same way that sufficiently low FIS points are.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy