Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder snowboard, buying tips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking for tips on selecting a board for a Japan trip next season in search of the deep stuff.

Got my eye on the Capita Slasher 2015, which comes as 154, 158, 161 and 164.

I'm 80kg and 6-foot and ride 158 mainly. I'm told a longer board is the way to go for powder.

Question is how longer? Should I go 161 or 164?

Other recommendations welcome!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this as a full-time replacement to your 158 or and additional board just for the soft & deep you're hoping to sniff out in Japan?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's going to be an additional board for soft and deep. My current board (DC Mega), which I really enjoy on-piste, didn't perform very well at all in the powder this season even with the bindings set back. Was a real struggle keeping the nose afloat.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your choice is really between a versatile freeride board (e.g. Amplid Creamer, Jones Flagship, etc.) or a dedicated powder shape (e.g. Amplid Morning Glory, Jones Hovercraft, Salomon Sick Stick, etc. - or the Capita you've suggested).

Your DC has a centred stance, so even if you use the inserts to set the stance back a bit, you're only bringing it to the same set-back as most "all-mountain" boards would have by default.

At 80kg, I would think you'd be OK on the Slasher on a 161, especially if you're going to be riding a lot of trees in Japan.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about something like the Yes 420? Short at 148 or 152, but wide - float but without the length could be fun for the glades.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a SLASH stsigt, by gigi ruf ,, amazing in powder ,but still able to use on piste should the need arise.
Tried the Jones but found the Slash suited me better
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great suggestions, will check 'em all out.
Short and wide sounds interesting.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
While you're checking stuff out, have a google at Gentemstick. They basically wrote the book on deep powder snowboard design. But beware - don't fall in love unless you have pockets deeper than the Hokkaido powder.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I rode a Capita Charlie Slasher (details) some years ago, probably a very different design but maybe you can work something out from that. I'm 62Kgs and I rode the 158, although I did find the tail slightly boysterous so if they'd had a 156 that may have worked better.

VoodooBob wrote:
... I'm told a longer board is the way to go for powder.
Question is how longer? Should I go 161 or 164?

That would be old people talking, or possibly Americans. Back in the day that was true, but it hasn't been so for about 15 years. Find a powder board and then read the manufacturers recommended weight range, and then try the obvious board and switch up or down if it's not right. Capita are crapita for that as their weight ranges have no upper limit. Whatever, the best length for you depends on the precise design, they're all different.

My current ride is a Burton Landlord, which is basically a Malolo with a de-cambered nose.

If you're riding a lot of powder (most people do not), then a dedicated powder board may make sense. The Fish is hard to go wrong on, I know a bunch of photographers who use them every day, and it's the standard "day saver" board at my mates' cat boarding operation. The main limitation of that is "lack of slash". Japan (where I've not ridden) tends to look fairly mellow so you may want a slightly bigger board as you maybe don't need the throw-about nature of the Fish.

I'd consider demoing stuff out there and / or renting, as buying a powder board without trying a few sounds like a lottery to me. Each year I try all the boards I can find before settling on the one I want to use. And I have an old Fish which I picked up for about $100 as a fall back just in case I can't find anything usable.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends on what type of riding you want to do something shorter with a swallowtail will be more maneuverable in trees where as a longer more traditional shape will be better on steeper open terrain. I'm slightly taller and a bit lighter and ride Jones hovercraft 156 which is a cracking board great in the powder and good on piste also got a Rome mountain division which I prefer on steeper terrain and my rossignol magtek xv is great in variable conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
burton pile driver

/fin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^ useful post that.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Other recommendations welcome!

thats a recommendation is it not?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ewanmalone wrote:
thats a recommendation is it not?

Not really, or at least not a very useful one.

I've seen reviews of boards written by people who've bought a board and not yet ridden it. Have you ridden yours yet, and if so, how was it? You do have one, right? I've ridden a fair few no-boards, and I'm interested in how that compares. The OP wasn't really into no-boarding though, I would guess, based on asking that question.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I recently went through the "which powder board for me?" thing and had pretty much decided on a hovercraft but then ended up on http://easyloungin.com/forum/ I think I got some really good advice and have ended up with a 156 Fish but searched for a 2013 model due to the camber. I was advised the Hovercraft is more of a stiff freeride board with the tail cut off than a specifically designed powder board with a softer flex and deeper side cut. I did have some concerns about a Fish being too powder specific and having limited ability on piste but several people informed me that's not the case at all.
snow report
Funky Snowboards - Wave board ... It is a short, chunky, whippy FUN board. It is by far the best powder board on the market!
latest report
Well let me just go and have a Google and have a little look and see.... GAAAH! MY CORNEAS!!! IT BURNS! IT BURNS!
ski holidays
Looks like another Fish clone - how does it ride compared to a Fish?
ski holidays
Quote:

GAAAH! MY CORNEAS!!! IT BURNS! IT BURNS!

Aw I quite like the neon styling going on Very Happy
snow report
It's a tricky subject as what works for one person, their experience, riding style, skill set etc. might not work so well for another so reviews are often very subjective.
Out of my many powder orientated boards I know that I prefer boards with a long set-back rather than the shorter wider boards.
A Nidecker Megalight 64 (162cm) tends to be the board first out of the rack in deep powder for big steep faces. When I first got it, I hated it as it felt too wide for my small feet! Once I'd adapted to it, it became #1. If it's fogged out and bad weather powder I'll probably be in the trees on something like a Fanatic Diamond from a few seasons back. A bamboo fish tail, fat pointy nose with some sort of early rise camber 'tech' and very easy to turn at low speed.

Here's a review of some more recent boards:
http://snowboarding.transworld.net/videos/2015-powder-board-test/#TfLlvSKj2qkvS5Ji.97
snow report
The Funky Wave is super responsive and turns on dime. Nice forgiving flex in the super wide nose allows for effortless floating on the powder. Great if you love mixing it up with some freestyle in the backcountry. If you love your tree's then this board is a must. Rocker past the nose with a setback camber rolling into a little rocker under the tail this board is super responsive and such a smooth ride. I've ridden long boards boards but will never do so again after using it in Japan. I used to love the longer boards but they honestly have nothing on this board.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy