Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Board Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Good Afternoon.

I am thinking of getting a new board (i use to rent till now) i was looking to test the Bataleon Goliath as i understand this is a truly versatile board.

I would consider myself a beginner. been out to the mountains 4 trips this past winter and planing to taking about 6 trips next winter.

Cost-wise it will make sense for me to get my own board now on sale rather then renting 6 times next winter.

My weight is 87KG and i see the recommendation is for a 161 board. but from past experience i found a 158 board much easier to turn etc.

Is the weight chert is something i should consider or just go with what feels right for me ?

Thank you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anything you get will probably be better than rental if you're using the usual places in European resorts.
What kind of riding are you looking at doing? Do you do much Freestyle?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At this stage i really want to try and improve on my carving. most of my ride will be on the piste, i am not big on parks. i just love cruising the mountains and pop few tricks and jumps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How sold are you on the whole Triple Base Technology thing that Bataleon do? I was looking at The Jam last year, which is a stiffer version of the Goliath - almost went for one, but heard that the TBT was a bit 'Marmite' and it's really one of those things that you should test properly before committing to, and as I could never find one on test anywhere I didn't follow up on it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To be honest i never actually tried a Bataleon board before. i guess it requires proper testing as you suggest.

Any other boards you can suggest for me to test while at it ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gnave wrote:
At this stage i really want to try and improve on my carving. most of my ride will be on the piste, i am not big on parks. i just love cruising the mountains and pop few tricks and jumps.

If you want to add the few tricks and jumps to a piste/ carving board it will take away something from it. Example is the Jones Mountain Twin which is a great board and can handle jumps and tricks but isn't the machine that say a Yes Standard or my Endeavor Next is. Hope this makes sense. I had a go at both the Goliath and the Jam and thought they were ok, but never felt like I wanted to own either. Perhaps look at a Yes Basic or even Yes Jackpot if you want the tricks bit. Also have a think about profile as a cambered board maybe the way to go for what you want and will help you progress (although slower but maybe more surely).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gainz, Thank you for the lengthy explanation. things are starting to make more sense to me now,

I am going to head over to MK and test the below boards:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/bataleon-goliath-1415-snowboard/820462
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/burton-process-off-axis-1415-snowboard/820445
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/signal-hybrid-wavelength-1415-snowboard/820497
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/nitro-team-sullen-x-1415-snowboard/820471
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/dinasours-will-die-kwon-1415-snowboard/820487

I will try and test the "Jones mountain twin" but the only have the 158W version left in stock and its not good for my needs.

Unfortunately this is end of session sale so i may have to compromise on my setup knowing i am getting a good discount.

I am still not sure if to go for 157-158 board or 161. i am 6ft and 87KG so most board manufactures advice to go for the longer option.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gnave, what size feet have you got?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Richard_Sideways, I am 8.5 UK
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're a reasonably aggressive rider then you'll be able to turn a wider board ok, I'm a little lighter, shorter and size 8 and have only just stopped riding a mid-wide board (bought when I was about a stone or so heavier about 8 years ago). If you can get from edge to edge pretty quickly then a shorter, wider board could work for you as the additional width can give you float while the reduced length will give you turn response. I'd try the Jones if its there - if for no other reason than to take it out of the running.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Richard_Sideways, will go to MK Sunday and try few options.

What is you opinion on the "Jones Aviator" if you know of someone who had a go at it ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gnave, Supposed to sit between the MT and the Flagship - Stiffer and faster than the MT, more 'freestyle' than the flagship. Don't know too much about it as not tried one or know anyone who has. Gets a good review in places like TheGoodRide, but then most Jones stuff does.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richard_Sideways, had a good try of few different boards at MK.

It was hard to get the feel of it in general as is seem like the indoor snow conditions are at the worst i ever experienced. it seem like MK has not produced any new snow for long time now and all you get is a sticky white mess.

So from all the boards i tested the two on the top of my list

Jones mountain twin 157
Bataleon Goliath+

With the Goliath+ i got to test a 154 as they didn't have the a bigger size in the demo pool.

I found the Jones mountain twin to be fast more responsive and def with more flex.
The Goliath+ was OK. it felt like it dose not want to bend much and i guess the all triple base is something you have to get use too. i did like the catch free feeling the board has. but not sure its enough to make me buy it.

The mountain twin 157 is out of stock, my only option is to have it send over from a store in the Netherlands for what looks like a really good price.

It will probably be the mountain twin once i can confirm the store is genuine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Understand the dilemma - I've got a set of Cartel bindings coming in from Germany via eBay this week. You want to support the UK independents but couldn't find what I was looking for in the right size in the for love nor money.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You want to support the UK independents but couldn't find what I was looking for in the right size in the for love nor money.

I couldn't find a Jones MT in 153 anywhere in Europe, places only seemed to have the 158W which is no way suitable.
ski holidays
I seem to have found the last 157 in the Netherlands, its on its way. should be with me next week.

Now i just got to pair it with bindings and wait till next winter Sad
snow conditions
You made a good choice and definitely wise riding before you buy. I did say the goliath is a bit meh!

What bindings are you thinking of?
ski holidays
I was contemplating about bindings, i was originally thinking to go for the Burton Malavita BUT in the current stage that i am i require something more forgiving and soft.
So i decided to go for the Custom, looks like a sold option to for now and price is good now.

http://www.snowandrock.com/burton-custom-2015/burton-binding/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/63273?listing=true

Can always change them later if i find them too soft.
snow conditions
The '15 Customs are supposed to be very soft - more freestyle than ever before... Missions perhaps?
snow report
Current me if i am wrong.... but isn't soft bindings are best for beginner / intermediate ?
ski holidays
@gnave, mate, if you're able to tell the difference between two boards like a MT and a Goliath, you're not a beginner anymore. If you're after an all-mountain binding and you're wanting to progress into steeper terrain, *personally* i'd be looking at a stiffer binding than a '15 Custom.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, Fair point.

Now i just need to find them in a colour that works with my board.
snow report
Cartel are my binding of choice.

Quote:

Now i just need to find them in a colour that works with my board.

Ha ha - anything in black/white/blue will be nice. Very Happy
snow conditions
Ordered !!!

http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/products/burton-mission-reflex-1415-snowboard-bindings/822409
snow report
Nice.

How much did you get your MT for? I found a mega cheap 154 in Canaa bu they wouldn;t ship internationally, so ended up paying basically nearly full retail for one in the US.
snow report
I don't think you'll regret your choices. Very Happy
snow conditions
Funny your asking, it was all in £280. I guess the fact the the pound is very strong against the euro at the moment helps, or we just being "taking for a ride" in this country.
ski holidays
£280 really good!

I just checked and mine worked out at £302.

Not sure we're being taken for a ride - end of season sales always have really good prices on stock - just there wasn't much stock about! Plus the euro fx rate is good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kat.ryb, If you feel like one......

http://shop.siem.nl/?s=Jones&post_type=product

No more 157 Unfortunately
snow report
SS20 has missions in medium £92 delivered I don't know about the reflex thing imo the missions are a better firmer binding torsionally in the highback for railing than the softer cartel.
Possibly they are missions with out reflex ..price is right, the black colours may not be as trendy as the TSA colours .
ski holidays
Board has arrived Smile with a free case....

Now i only have to wait 200 Days until next winter Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy