Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Diamant - accommodation & transfers for £400?

Poster: A snowHead
We have flights booked to Geneva for 30th Jan 2016, returning 6th Feb. So the next stage is to book accommodation and transfers - and we're quite keen on the Espace Diamant (probably Les Saisies, but not necessarily). Does anyone have an opinion of whether the two are doable for a total of under £400 (to beat last year's price), in total for two people? If so, any suggestions for where to stay / transfer companies?

Hiring a car is an option, but the possibility of snowy roads is probably quite high at that time of year, and we've no experience of snow chains etc., so feel like a transfer would be less hassle if not too expensive.

Also interested in, as an alternative, Megeve, for a similar budget.

Skiing-wise, we're looking for a large area with lots of cruising runs (of any difficulty) and plenty of trees. Austria's SkiWelt in 2014 was ideal for example - but flights are to Geneva next year! And would like to try somewhere new, close-ish to the airport and avoiding the Tarentaise mega-resorts.

I believe there may be a few local experts, and would be very grateful for advice. Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megeve/Les Saisies? Think Fortnum & Masons/Lidl... certainly in cost/ambience terms. Mind you we had a great day's skiing in Les Saisies this year, seems like a great resort for intermediates.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@denfinella, is it possible for you to hang on until nearer the time for your accommodation as you have your flights booked? Both resorts are good for the skiing you want. Both resorts have lots of scope for visiting different sectors. On the whole I would expect Espace Diamant to be cheaper for lift prices/eating. Megeve is known for its expensive shops but having spent an enforced few hours off the slopes there recently I can confirm that there are 'normal' eateries and shops there too! There is good varied skiing in both to keep you entertained for your week.

Have you considered Combloux from which you can ski into Megeve (Jaillet side) and La Giettaz. That's the Portes du Mont Blanc pass which I believe is still one of the cheapest in France Very Happy Short transfer time too Very Happy

If you do book a transfer (not to Les Saisies unfortunately) I can recommend

http://www.resortrides.com/

pam w is a Les Saisies local and I'm sure she will spot this soon
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+ 1 for Pam W. As someone who works in the transfer market you may find it hard to find shared transfers to Les saisies, Megeve on the other hand should be no problem. The only issue is getting between resorts as I'm not sure there is a bus service ( open to correction if I'm wrong). If you need a private transfer that is your budget and more gone I'm afraid.

Good luck

Andy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a thought...Borini buses run from GVA to Megeve/Combloux/St Gervais. Not sure of the prices but I would have thought they would be significantly cheaper than a private transfer
http://www.borini.com/borini/home.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gvj, yes, aware that Megeve has that sort of reputation. Not really bothered either way though, as long as there are a few places to eat!

@igLou, yes, no rush at all to book anything, so was planning on waiting until a decent price came up. I was just wondering whether my idea of a "decent price" is achievable in l'Espace Diamant / Megeve.

Not so keen on Combloux or La Giettaz, as we'd probably want to divide our time equally between the different sectors. Megeve seems best placed for that. Borini buses sound promising for a transfer.

@anderoo, yes, transfers may be the stumbling block for Les Saisies. Annoying!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@denfinella, for families self drive would be cheaper than a transfer which would have to be a private taxi. No bus option. Plenty of accommodation. I am sitting on a boat in Poole Harbour with dodgy signal. Will be able to give more detailed advice when back at home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, thanks, no rush to reply! Enjoy Poole Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
denfinella, I just book apartments in the Espace Diamant through the tourist office websites, the prices won't change nearer the date.

Les Saisies is in Savoie, the cheapest transfers are likely to be through Albertville, try here for ideas.

I wouldn't write off Combloux, both it and Megeve are fairly spread out so you will probably end up using the local free buses about the same amount whichever one you stay in if you want to ski both sides of the valley.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Geneva airport:

Links between the airport and Les Saisies:
Taxi
Bus between Geneva and Megève (about 1h30 / www.borini.com ou www.altibus.com), then a taxi between Megève and Les Saisies (about 50 €)
Useful website: www.accueil-france.org
More information: 00.41.22.798.20.00 or www.gva.ch

Plenty of inexpensive places to stay using local rental agencies or directly via the tourist office.

David
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am now back on terra firma, if there are any more queries.

I suspect a taxi from Megeve would be the best part of €100 each way.

Driving on snowy roads isn't a black art and there are no hairy roads en route. You'd be OK, most of the time, with snow tyres but would have to have chains and be prepared to use them if necessary.

It's commonsense, really - no sudden acceleration, braking or steering, try to avoid wheel spin, leave a good distance from the car in front. However, digging cars out if it's snowy is a right pain, and a covered car park would be a big asset. Some apartments will have that.

However, to answer the question in your thread title - no, you're very unlikely to get accommodation and transfers to Les Saisies for £400. You could get nearer in Praz sur Arly - shorter transfer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rjs, thanks, useful to know about the tourist office websites.

@skinutter, thanks. Transfers do seem to be the issue for Les Saisies - 50 euros+ both ways is a quarter of our transfer+accommodation budget.

@pam w, yes, maybe I should reconsider car hire. We have driven a little on snow here in Scotland (including yesterday!!) but on summer tyres, so would need to buy some chains to practise fitting them. Even so though, total price for car hire isn't particularly cheap, is it? I'm guessing at 150 euros including winter tyres and chains - is that a fair estimate? That would make it cheaper than a transfer to Les Saisies, but probably wouldn't beat Megeve transfer prices.

Perhaps I'm being overambitious with my £400 target. Alpe d'Huez transfers with Ben's Bus (last year) were notably cheap, and it's a big place so plenty of competition for apartments which kept accommodation prices down. In my mind I was hoping for £300-ish for an apartment, and £100-ish (maybe a little more) for transfers.

Praz sur Arly doesn't look like an ideal base for exploring all of the Espace Diamant (but say if you disagree!). Les Saisies and Notre Dame look ideal.

Am also considering PDS (esp. Avoriaz), Grand Massif and La Clusaz - the first two aren't exactly off the beaten track, I know, but perhaps may have more luck with cheap transfers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Perhaps I'm being overambitious with my £400 target.

Yes, I think you probably are, certainly for Les Saisies.

Praz sur Arly is OK for exploring the Espace Diamant - up the Cret du Midi lift, then the Ban Rouge and down into Notre Dame - doesn't take long though there's one stretch of supposedly blue link which is often pretty red. From either the Plan des Fours or Lac chairs you can then get over into the Douce Bowl, part of Les Saisies and also use the splendid new 6 man Bellasta lift. And if the weather is bad there's plenty of tree skiing in the Arly Valley. But that's not an area for skiers who aren't comfortable on drags - there are some quite difficult and long drags in the Arly Valley though you don't need to do any of them to get over to NDdB and Les Saisies.

It's not a huge area - just under 200km, all lift linked. The only slightly more long-winded destination, from Praz sur Arly, is Crest Voland, but really, nowhere is very far from anywhere else.

You could get the Chamexpress to Sallanches and then bus to Praz sur Arly. Wouldn't cost a lot. http://www.prazsurarly.com/ot/le-village/plan-dacces

You would be very unlucky (or lucky, depending on your point of view) to need chains to get to Praz sur Arly. And if you had a car you could easily drive up to Notre Dame or to Crest Voland. More fun to ski, though.

A bus/taxi transfer to Les Saisies would cost a lot more than €50.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have had another look at Praz sur Arly - OK, will definitely add it to the options! Drags not a problem (plenty of practice in Scotland!). 200km is plenty for a week.

The Sallanches-Praz sur Arly bus looks great - good value and frequent.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, if you end up looking at accommodation in Praz sur Arly, and you don't have a car, try to ensure you are close to the Cret du Midi lift. If you do have a car, there's an enormous free car park right at the bottom.
ski holidays
Praz is a good idea and Megeve is a very short drive away. And there's a reasonably sized Intermarche Very Happy
latest report
denfinella wrote:
Drags not a problem (plenty of practice in Scotland!). 200km is plenty for a week.

You'll be fine. I've only been twice to the Arly Valley but skied it quite extensively and can't remember any drag that approached 'difficult'.
snow report
I hear 'Seigneurs' in Flumet is 'interesting' Toofy Grin Though despite driving past and skiing nearby lots of times, we still haven't tried it.
ski holidays
I like a challenge Wink
snow report
Le Téléski à Perches Découplables des Seigneurs est une remontée mécanique mythique réalisée en 1963 par le constructeur Montaz-Mautino.
Il s'agit du TK le plus difficile de tout l'Espace Diamant et probablement l'un des plus durs de France avec ses 66% de pente maximale, ses 550 mètres de dénivelée et son kilomètre et demi de longueur.

One of the problems is that if you fall in the forest sections you have to hike through the woods (there are arrows indicating the way "si vous tombez" and then descend a black piste, often unpisted and quite lumpy, and start again. The only alternative is to wait for one of the infrequent buses to Crest Voland. Laughing It's the opposite of the "homogenized" ski resorts people complain about.
snow report
The Moliettes drag in Crest Voland has an 'interesting' start.
snow conditions
@pam w, it sounds great! Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

The Moliettes drag in Crest Voland has an 'interesting' start.

got nothing on the Seigneur. Falling off at the beginning isn't a problem. @denfinella, Seigneur is a good lift if you have a cocky friend who thinks he's a lot better than he is. Especially if he's a snowboarder. wink It's a good one to know well if you have friends and family who don't like difficult drags - I took one friend down there expressly to show him exactly what it's like and exactly how to avoid it, as he said if he took his wife on it she'd never speak to him again. And he's quite fond of her!

There are some excellent (and not expensive) mountain restaurants in Praz sur Arly - my favourites in the Espace Diamant. Montagnettes, the Serrason and the Petit Tetras are all well worth a visit though the first is arguably in Flumet.
snow report
After all the useful advice, out of the blue we've booked an apartment in Les Carroz! It was a good price, close to the slopes and in the village centre, so can't really go wrong. And I've been to Flaine before so I know what the area's like. Transfers seem more widely available for Les Carroz too, so £400 looks easily doable now.

Will keep Praz sur Arly and the rest of the Espace Diamant in mind for future years though.
ski holidays
Its just as well you have been to Flaine before and know what to expect in terms of lift pass and mountain lunch cost. Shocked Toofy Grin Les Carroz is a great choice though! snowHead
latest report
Well yes, on-mountain prices probably pricier than some of the other options. But the lift pass is cheaper than Alpe d'Huez (last year) at least!
ski holidays
@denfinella, have a great holiday in Les Carroz - a very nice spot! I think the fact that access to Les Saisies is not easy, and that there are no British TOs operating packages to the Espace Diamant is quite a blessing; keeps the riff-raff away. wink
ski holidays
@denfinella, Les Carroz is a really nice town, and the skiing was very good when we were there (late March a few years ago). Have a great time Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Montana, we will. Snow definitely shouldn't be a problem in early February, and the trees should be useful for bad weather days (a bit of an issue in Alpe d'Huez / Les 2 Alpes this year).

@pam w, thanks. I suppose the access issue for Les Saisies is a double-edged sword. One day, maybe!
latest report
Quote:

I suppose the access issue for Les Saisies is a double-edged sword

It's surprising that you can't get there by bus from Geneva airport - it used to be possible, when the buses to the Tarentaise stopped in Albertville. I spent ages on the internet when I'd fractured my pelvis and couldn't drive friends back to the airport but had to admit defeat. They got an expensive taxi in the end. The majority of visitors to the resort come in their own cars - French, Dutch, Belgian, Italian and there are buses up from Albertville for those who arrive there by train, I suppose.
snow report
Shame. I grew up in London and we used to always self-drive for our ski holidays. But now I'm in Scotland - just a bit too far!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy