Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best of 90mm

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.Small poll.In your opinions what is the best carving ski with around 90mm waist.Shorter radius preferred but not must be.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Different skis suit different people. I currently love my K2 Rictor's, they carve nicely and roll from edge to edge easily. Stable at speed and even decent in powder. I took 5 pairs of skis in my quiver for this season, but ended up spending 50+ days on these. However, they are not the best carving skis I own, they are a pair of Head I.Supershape, but they are significantly narrower.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nordica Soul Rider
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had 2 weeks on some 2011 Movement Jams which I think are 85. I like to ski lots of short turns and these were just the ticket, mostly on piste but some spring snow, bumps and slush. Got the feeling they were great fun in any conditions and a good partner to Shamans for powder days. I would be interested to know if there is much difference with the newer version? Also not sure how much wider you can go and still make effective short turns on hard pistes?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 19-04-15 18:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pytek23, I tested the 2015 Blizzard Brahma 180, with a 88mm waist......... lovely ski, some very careful consideration has gone into the design of this ski. Slight rockered tip with low rise, camber under foot - but not a huge amount, the flex pattern and sidecut are the key to this skis worth. Superb on piste if you are a heavier guy, I'm about 100kgs and got a lot of response from the Brahma, some of the lighter guys (75kgs-85kgs) found them less forgiving and tough work. That'll be the two layers of Titanium around the snappy wood core! Don't ski these skis short, 180 is perfect for anyone 5'8 - 6'0 plus. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all replies.Brahma is my first choice to consider.Been riding Salomon 2 90 for last 3 years as my one ski quiver.Love them but did not hold the edge on morning icy groomers.That never bothered me but will be spending much more time on slopes as my missus decided to be a skier.@clarky999, Soul Rider seems to be good option but are they stiff enough for icy conditions?Other choices are Rossignol Experience 88 and Dynastar Powertrack 89.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Soulrider was my daily ski until this season when I went fatter and stiffer (ooerr missus!!). Now on Liberty Envy Powder. Loved the soulriders and found them dead easy to ski, with a nice 16.5m turn radius and gripped pistes really well, I'd say even on an icy day. Female skier here...I had the 177s even though I am 5ft 5, so if you are interested I'd go long.
However, I have tested the Brahma, and was seriously tempted as they felt even more grippy for their width .Again, I'd say go longer...I tested the 173s and thought they were the right length. Didn't pull the trigger and make a purchase in the end, but that's because the Libertys have been awesome all season despite being 104 under foot. (The Liberty Helixs would be the blokes' equivalent).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pytek23, I've been skiing a pair of Head Rev 90s for the last 2 seasons. I rather like them. They carve well, let me turn short or long radius and they are lovely off-piste (can you use lovely about off-piste or should I be looking for a more manly word?). The only slightly annoying thing is they clatter like crazy on corduroy. I must confess that they were bought to be an on-piste off-piste ski and the Rossignol Zenith Z7s I had before did carve better. So they are a compromise but a pretty good one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've not skied anything that carved like the whitedot zero one. Literally like being on rails, just carve everywhere at epic speed with complete trust. Lean over, and off they go. Well worth including in the shortlist.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mistress Panda, how would you describe stiffness of zero one?@Perty, I am 5ft 8 so 180 would be my length if I go for Brahma.Anyone skied Dynastar 89?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found the Rossi E88 and head Rev rather dead, the Salomon Q90 and Movement Jam a bit sketchy on hard snow, the Brahma and Kendo too stiff and demanding, but the four that I loved were: Fischer Ranger 88 TI (quite soft, not a charger), Fischer Motive 86 TI (great allrounder, not excelling in anything, though), the Dynastar Powertrack 89 (great true allmountain ski, though not for agressive or heavy skiers) and the Nordica Nrgy 90: by far the most balanced of the bunch, and for my style most suited.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pytek23, I am over 100kg and couldn't overpower them, they felt really stable and stiffness seemed bang on, the zero one should be stiffer than the park one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pytek23 wrote:
@clarky999, Soul Rider seems to be good option but are they stiff enough for icy conditions?Other choices are Rossignol Experience 88 and Dynastar Powertrack 89.

Along the length of the ski they are soft - or, well, probably mid-soft, but they're by far the softest that I own. Tortionally they are very stiff, and have WAY better edge grip than I expected from that class of ski. Seriously, WAY better. As long as the snow is smooth and consistent they're a lot of fun (including hardpack), but they're too soft to ski fast in chopped up or re-frozen snow (back to super fun in slush though) for my tastes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tried the Whitedot Park One in Chamonix and really liked them, but will go for the stiffer normal One (the hire shop only had the Park One available) I like the pop of traditional camber hence the normal One would suit me over the Zero One which has a flat camber. I'm 5'4 inch, 67 kg and the 173s suited me fine.

I've also heard good reports from a mate's Black Crow Orb at 90 under foot but I'm still going for the Whitedots for next season
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would throw the Kastle FX94 into the mix. Can be skied almost like a GS ski on piste - phenomenal edge hold on ice. Pretty useful off piste too.
ski holidays
another massive + for K2 AMP Rictor 90's - great all-round ski with 90mm underfoot.
snow conditions
Blizzard Brahma is pretty natty but IIRC the radius of my 180's is 18/19m.
snow report
pytek23 wrote:
Been riding Salomon 2 90 for last 3 years as my one ski quiver.Love them but did not hold the edge on morning icy groomers.

Perhaps that's because 90mm isn't really a dedicated carving groomer? I'd try 80mm or less for that.
snow report
@wyspa, Skied few 100mm that held edge superb.@spyderjon, Would you put touring bindings on Brahma's?
latest report
pytek23 wrote:
.......@spyderjon, Would you put touring bindings on Brahma's?

You could do but they're pretty heavy - I think my 180's are about 2.1kg each. The better option for a touring binding would be the Bushwacker which is the same ski without the metal but the performance loss isn't much at all.
latest report
pytek23 wrote:
Would you put touring bindings on Brahma's?

Use them as your perfect "one-quiver-ski", but not as a tourer!

These are very well designed Piste/OP skis for the upper end advanced skier. The metal in them makes them a tad stiff/heavy for true touring, and the addition of a touring specific binding would limit their versatility. I skied them with the Marker Griffon, which were half decent, and did the job on piste.
Personally I'd put a Vist 614 or a Sally Z14, or possibly a Neox binding, and use them as piste orientated.
For off piste/ Touring I'd go for something softer and lighter with a wider footprint!
ski holidays
As I am at "looking for pow" point in my skiing life I have Salo 108 for short tours.However do not trust them when it gets hard and icy.Was thinking more about AT bindings and side country tours max (1-1.5h).If I mount Trackers 13 it would make 4kg per ski that close what my Fujas were so I am used to that weight.
snow report
Another vote for K2 Rictor 90's. Had them for 5 days over Easter, and preformed great off-piste for the 3 powder days we had, also could hold an edge well on-piste. Didn't get to test them on ice though.
latest report
K2 Rictor 90's are great skis for real all-mountain use. One more vote from me. And I would look for a pair right now, since the Rictor line will be replaced by the Ikonic line next year. Also great allmountain skis, but a bit more hard snow oriented than the Rictors. But maybe that's what you want then.
snow conditions
Checked few review of Rictors.Would have to ride them prior buying.No really convinced about stiffness of tip.Seems to be pretty soft.
ski holidays
@pytek23, maybe try OktoberTest

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112473

it'd be a day out and a chance to try some of the skis.
snow report
They are very smooth, yes. But still very stable, even on hard snow. But that makes them very playfull, too and a breeze off-piste and in bumps.
ski holidays
Movement Thunder or Dynastar Legend Very Happy
Sadly they don't make either of them since 2008.
Proper skis for ripping the hardpack.
I get the feeling most modern 90mm ski's are now intermediate noodles ?

Blizzard look good, as does Volkl Kendo ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Haggis_Trap, sometimes wish I still had my old Legend 8000s!!
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, As a principle I do not buy Volkl skis.Choice is between Rictor 90 and Brahma/Bushwacker.Like the fact I can get precut skins for Rictors but think that both Blizzards will perform better on hardpack.
ski holidays
A small shout out for Nordica Hell N'Back steadfasts - these are the 90mm version of the fully caffinated HnB's. Notched for touring, lightweight, but pretty damn fine on most surfaces except sheet ice.
ski holidays
pytek23 wrote:
As a principle I do not buy Volkl skis

Why?
latest report
@pytek23, the majority of Volkls are made in the k2 factory in China. Blizzard build quality/core is waaay better than the K2's.
latest report
@spyderjon, I'd read somewhere that couple of years ago Blizzard nicked Volkl's technicians. Since then quality of their skis improved significantly.Have nothing against K2 but think I'll go for original choice which is Brahmas.@clarky999, Short story,I do not find Volkl skis to be worth their disgusting prices.Although it did not stop from buying pair of Violas for my wife(but had no choice Happy ).
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
pytek23 wrote:
.......@spyderjon, Would you put touring bindings on Brahma's?

You could do but they're pretty heavy - I think my 180's are about 2.1kg each. The better option for a touring binding would be the Bushwacker which is the same ski without the metal but the performance loss isn't much at all.

How would you characterise the differences between the Bushwackers and Whitedot Ones?
ski holidays
Just thinking.If you decided to go 5-10mm less underfoot your choice would be...
latest report
@pytek23, There is the K2 Rictor 82 XTi has very similar reviews to the 90 yet less off piste favoured, and 50-100 euro cheaper too.
I'd be interested to hear any feedback on that ski as I'm tempted to get a pair of the rictors (82 or 90) atm.
latest report
Like you say, they have quite a similar feel. 82 is for say a 90-10 piste/off-piste use (bit quicker edge to edge, more direct initiation due to different tip shape, bit less rocker too); 90 is for a 70-30 use. Both not too demanding and still fun if you're an expert skier.
latest report
The K2 Shreditor 92 also seems to receive rave reviews also, it's twin tip and said to cater to piste/park and some powder. Anyone ever had experience of this ski?

I'm finding that's its quite difficult to find many honest and negative reviews of many ski's to be honest. Seems as though reviewers enjoy the perks of ski testing more than reviewing them too critically!
snow report
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Black Crows Orb yet. In the standard (non freebird) version it's super tough, still pretty light and a very powerful ski. Multi radius makes it pretty fun on groomers once you get a feel for the sidecut.

I tested it back to back against Brahmas. Personally I preferred the black crows (and bought myself a pair) because they just felt more solid and powerful, particularly in the tail, despite not having a ti layer. The brahmas are still an amazing ski. Very flicky and poppy, they don't actually feel heavy once you're skiing (for a stiff-ish twin ti). But I prefer the solid, old school feel from the full camber orbs.

For reference, I loved the bonafides (a stiffer, wider brahma) and would probably get a pair of them if I was after a one ski quiver.

But I'm me and you're you. There's no right or wrong answer I guess
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy