Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne - Easter trip. First visit there - loved it

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Myself, the wife and our teenage son headed to La Plagne on Sat 4th April for a weeks skiing. For the 2nd year in a row we had managed to sneak in a second ski holiday and chose La Plagne. We had been in Ellmau in February and fancied another weeks skiing so booked a late trip with Crystal to La Plagne staying in Plagne 1800. All our previous ski holidays, Montgenevre, Serre Chevalier, Passo Tonale, Avoriaz and Ellmau had either been in catered chalets or Hotel Half Board. We opted for a self catering apartment at La Plagne Lauze apartments in 1800 and we could not fault them. The studio apartment was small but well maintained, nicely decorated and well stocked. We stayed in block 3 (Silenes) which had a bus stop directly outside, was a 4-5 minute walk from the nearest lift. There was a Spar supermarket virtually next door which was ideal for your morning baguettes for picnics and for your daily dose of croissants, pan au chocolate. We ate out 6 of the 7 nights - twice at The Bobsleigh pub and once at The Cantina - both in 1800. The other nights we got the bus to Plagne Central and once up to Aime 2000 but I would give Aime a miss at night time.
As for the ski area - for the three of us it was excellent. The first day was very poor visibility which did not get us off to a great start however we met up with The Crystal reps in the afternoon and went on their social skiing trip with a local guide, instructor. This was a great way to get a feel for the area and the guide gave us lots of tips on the area, resort, runs etc. This was the first time we had done social skiing as we would normally be in lessons - would recommend it and will def look to do it again. We got over to Les Arcs for the day and this too was a great area for us and our level. Lots of lovely blues and reds and some of them very quiet. We got up to The Glacier in both areas but much preferred the ski down from The Glacier in Les Arcs - nice red and blue. The ski down from the glacier at the top of Bellecote was a moguled steep black run and my only miserable experience, run of the whole week. Not enjoyable for me at all and we should have got the cable car down - however we done it and moved on to have a great weeks skiing. This has been our 6th ski holiday in the past 4 years and I would say this has been my favourite ski area, resort. Loved The Champanie area and also Les Arcs. Some of the villages were indeed fairly horrendous looking as has been said on here but we went for the skiing and not for the architecture and we absolutely loved it. Hopefully will get back there in the future but think we would try and avoid the Feb half term as I would imagine it would be very, very busy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interested to know if the runs back to 1800 were open this week ?

We stayed in the same building at Christmas and thought it ideal for our family of 5. The only drawback was the poor snow at Christmas meant the runs back were not open which was a pain to get the bus (ok only 5 mins + waiting time) back to meet kids after ski school. We are planning to go 2nd April next year, at the moment not sure to go back to where we had a great time or may be try centre or belle plagne which may be just as good but ski in/out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@alangibson73, thanks for the interesting review, which I enjoyed.
Quote:

We got up to The Glacier in both areas but much preferred the ski down from The Glacier in Les Arcs - nice red and blue.

By the glacier in Les Arcs I assume you mean the Aiguille Rouge which actually has only a red run and a black run on it. Both are very long and enjoyable and though, perhaps, easy in their grade are non the less red and black. The same week you were in La Plagne we went across to La Plagne with the specific intention of doing the black pistes from the Bellecote which were sadly closed. The only way down was the red piste.

It was a brilliant week's skiing with good sunshine and dark blue skies later in the week and fresh snow at the start. Easter is a good time to go skiing. @jarjer, the snow was much better than at christmas, where, in Les Arcs, we had just about the worst snow conditions I can recall.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes Aiguille Rouge. The runs down from here were much more enjoyable and civilised than the Black run down from Bellecote in la Plagne. the black down from there - ? Chlaupe - was simply horrendous on the day that we done it. A great week though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
la Chiaupe, starting direct from the telecabine to the col de la Chiaupe, used to be a red,. My piste map still shows it as red. Many years ago a british skier got killed on la Chiaupe; there is a long sweeping turn under the telecabine and he lost it, crashing into one of the pylons. The next day the pistuers had rerouted the piste below the pylon. It was a very sombre atmosphere in the resort that week.

Le Rochu and the Bellecôte are (were) the two blacks from the end of the traverse chair. I did them years ago and they are in lovely scenery miles from the lifts and other ski infrastructure. I really enjoyed them. They then disappeared for a couple of years only to reappear on the piste map this year. Unfortuneatley they were closed when I went over at Easter this year due to avalanche risk.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The piste map I have has it as a black. Whatever run it was it was my least favourite of the week and I was very glad to see the back of it. The runs from Aiguille Rouge were a walk in the park in comparison.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy