Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Month in Austria - what would you do?!

Poster: A snowHead
Skiwelt is 280km
Ski Circus will be 240km as it includes Fieberbrunn next season (and on that point will be a lot quicker to access from Niederau than this and previous seasons)
Kitzbuhel is 170km.

I know this season was unusual, but had you started your month mid Dec as you plan next, skiing would have been limited. We were in Soll (part Skiwelt) for Christmas and only had about 45km available. Would be very useful if you are able to be flexible just in case.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hammerite, that has crossed my mind. I'm trying to see if we can aim to spend all of jan there and therefore hopefully reduce that risk.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jellemr, forget last season, you are not going to be there in December so that is not part of your equation. If the snow has still not arrived by January, it probably is not going to arrive. One good aspect of choosing Austria though is that the investment they have made in snow-making to make sure that the base is created in time and then maintained is phenomenal. While hammerite was moaning ( wink )about his 48kms in the Ski Welt, I was enjoying a week of good mileage in the Sportwelt Amadé. OK it was mostly artificial snow, but better than nowt! The snow arrived in mega quantities starting 27th December and we had a relatively good season from then on.

If you arrive in Austria on or around 2nd January and head home around the 31st you will miss all the big traffic. Skiing will be quiet for most of that month and you can enjoy yourselves. The Viennese schools and parts of lower Austria start their winter breal the week beginning 30th January, then all hell lets loose in the following week because of the Fasching holiday. Travelling out and back on a Sunday or during the week also helps to avoid the massive jams that can occur on the German motorway system.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jellemr, Kaprun would be just about the furthest from Niederau and that is around a 1hr 20min drive, or get the train from Worgl 10 mins away to Zell am See and bus the short hop to Kaprun. If you do decide to go mid/end of December - mid/Late Jan which you initially stated, that would be most efficient with work holidays which is what I am guessing you are trying to manage (2 weeks in this years allowance and 2 in next?).

In most years you will have enough skiing in mid December for an intermediate and you will have the Glacier at Kaprun on your pass if things are really dire. I would expect all the resorts on the pass to be open from at least mid mountain upwards prior to Christmas and the sheer number of areas to visit should fulfil your needs. Could be worse could be better, but still you will be having a great time in the mountains Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Samerberg Sue, @AthersT, The initial plan was to go the week before Christmas (19th / 20th) until about the 16th/17th Jan, because of the "free" holiday days of Christmas / New Year meaning we can take a month off work for about 18 days worth of annual leave, whereas going for the whole of Jan uses 20, not a huge difference but.....

However, as @Samerberg Sue, says, snow conditions should be better from early Jan onwards, and also rental costs will be less if we go outside of the Christmas/New Year weeks.

Much to ponder!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jellemr, in my experience conditions are very good before Chrismtas more often than not.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, cheers Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some great info in this thread. Was looking to do something similar a few seasons back

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1564103&highlight=#1564103
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mike Pow, thanks, I'll read with interest!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Samerberg Sue, just making a point of something to consider, especially if this is a once in a lifetime (or at least very rare occurrence) for @jellemrin the very unlikely case that lightening strikes twice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, in an earlier post you mentioned Fieberbunn, I've found a terrific deal on accommodation for Hochfilzen (close to Fieberbunn I think), how would this suit for skiing (on days we don't want to drive), and location wise for the rest of the All Star Card Pass?

cheers
Matthew
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, in an earlier post you mentioned Fieberbunn, I've found a terrific deal on accommodation for Hochfilzen (close to Fieberbunn I think), how would this suit for skiing (on days we don't want to drive), and location wise for the rest of the All Star Card Pass?

cheers
Matthew
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jellemr, I've only skied one day there when I went to the Freeride World Tour for work (big thanks to espri for putting me and a colleague up for two nights!!), but it seems like a really cool resort. LOADS of good freeride terrain, and from what I saw of them, the pistes and fun and fairly extensive. Lots of competition for fresh tracks on a powder day, but that probably wasn't helped by everyone who turned up for the FWT event. Lively nightlife (though again that was influenced by the FWT).

I think it would be a really good base, and as mentioned snowhead espri lives there so should be able to give you more info. St Johann, Kitz, SkiWelt and Saalbach-Hinterglemm (probably easiest access from Leogang) are all within easy driving distance. Lofer, too, though the skiing is more limited there.

I don't know if there are lifts/busses from Hochfilzen to Fieberbrunn for non-drive days, but I assume there probably are.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, brilliant, thanks for the help yet again!!! Sounds like a good option...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jellemr, @clarky999, from this coming season Fieberbrunn will be connected via a lift to Saalbach-Hinterglemm.
snow report
@AthersT, that is interesting.....
Any ideas what Hochfilzen is like as a place to base ourselves?
snow conditions
jellemr wrote:
@AthersT, that is interesting.....
Any ideas what Hochfilzen is like as a place to base ourselves?

Sorry never been. It's well located, they hold a Biathlon event there.
Close to Saalfelden which is a decent size town. Thats all I know.

2015/16 Piste Map for Saalbach-Hinterglemm + Fieberbrunn
http://www.saalbach.com/fileadmin/user_storage/saalbach_com/Dateien/Panorama_Skicircus_2015.jpg
ski holidays
b]@AthersT[/b], thanks anyway.

That piste map looks excellent, thanks!
ski holidays
@jellemr, my pleasure

@AthersT, sweet, that'll be quite a ski area when they're connected!
latest report
@clarky999, even more so when the connection to Zell am See is complete!
snow report
im looking at doin 3-4 months next season so interested in the thread but for you, , as it's only a month which isn't that long a stay, I would personally:

1. Set up in St Anton and focus on the whole area that pass gives you. Leave the car behind, the money you save on driving costs spend on guiding and get more into off-piste.

Otherwise

2. Set up in innsbruck. Far more long term accommodation options available. Nordkette for on your door skiing. Again not sure car is necessary. Free luxury ski bus to stubai glacier 1hr (guaranteed snow), 1hr train to St anton (train + day ski pass deals), 1.5hr train to kitzbuhel/Fieberbrunn. Plenty more within 1.5hr train/bus.
+ for me if I'm working while out there and I need to go to London for meeting easy from innsbruck/Munich for day and back.

3. If you have car and want skiing on your doorstep like you do, you could try stubai Valley, stay in fulpmes and have schlick 2000 for when you don't want to travel + 30 min drive to glacier for guaranteed snow + 20 min to innsbruck and connections to all others.
snow report
A quick update for you all!

Well, the other half has just gone and landed herself a great new job, which whilst being excellent news, also means we cant' go for the month as planned Sad
So, the revised plan, 2 weeks from 26th Dec to Jan 9th, followed by a 2nd 2 week trip towards the end of the season (March / April).

We've found excellent accommodation in Niederau (some of the other options we looked at fell through) and have booked for the first trip, so we're now very excited!!

Thanks all for the help, I'm sure I'll be asking for more closer to the time!

Cheers
Matthew
latest report
Ditch her Toofy Grin
snow report
@Timberwolf, she paid for the accommodation though?!!
snow conditions
Get there, then ditch her wink
snow report
@Timberwolf, Wink
ski holidays
Hello All,

As per the previous posts on this thread (thanks to all who helped with my initial requests!!), we have booked for 2 weeks for Niederau in Dec/Jan and are very excited!!

Thoughts have now turned to our 2nd 2 week holiday (I know, we're very lucky this year!!) which we are planning on taking over the Easter period (26th March > 9th April). We have the Kitz All Star season passes, and so are looking for some ideas on where's best to go (within the resorts covered by this pass) towards the end of the season (late March / early April)? Do any of you knowledgeable lot know when resorts in the Kitz area are open till, and which tend to hold snow in a "normal" year? Ideally I'd leave booking accommodation until a few weeks before, but have already seen some terrific prices on s/c apartments and so am tempted to take the plunge (we will have the car to travel around).

Any thoughts much appreciated as always!!

Matthew
snow report
Either Fieberbrunn or Saalbach to take advantage of the huge new ski area - linking those two together really does make for an epic resort! I'd probably pick Fieberbrunn over Saalbach at that time of year, as Saalbach has a lot of south-facing slopes (not that I'd expect snow problems in Saalbach, but just in case you get a really warm period).

Though I've also had great late season skiing (and powder) in Kitz...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jellemr, there are 9 resorts on the pass most of which are lowish for that time of year, but I would suggest either Saalbach-Hinterglemm or Zell am See - Kaprun.

Kaprun with its glacier would guarantee good conditions and if there are good late season snowfalls and or low temps Zell is also a decent resort. Plenty of other things to do in the area too.

However if you can wait to book accommodation late or can be flexible depending on conditions then Saalbach-Hinterglemm would be the best for two weeks.

Late March/Early April usually provides at least one good dump per year as it's generally a period of more unsettled weather but it could be deep winter or wall to wall sunshine as long as you know the risks it's a great time to go and enjoy long skiing days :]
latest report
@clarky999, @AthersT, thanks for your thoughts.

I'd considered both of these areas and also Westendorf / Brixen for good access to the Skiwelt?
ski holidays
@jellemr, in good conditions Westendorf would be great but this far in advance it is rather risky.
latest report
@AthersT, not as snow sure as Saalbach-Hinterglemm??
snow report
jellemr wrote:
@AthersT, not as snow sure as Saalbach-Hinterglemm??

I think its fair to say the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Fieberbrunn area would be more snowsure with its higher base and peak altitude, it also has slopes with different aspects that will hold the snow better in shade etc....it's impossible to predict local conditions now though.

Plus if conditions are really warm then the glacier at Kaprun is only 25-30 mins away by car or Post Bus.
snow conditions
of course, just trying to gauge where would be best to base ourselves. As I said, we will have the car, so in theory could travel to wherever has the best snow on any given day, within reason at least.
ski holidays
@jellemr, as a base then Zell might be pretty good - its a proper town with all that that entails - restaurants, many shops, nightlife, spa's etc....plus you have the lovely lake and a direct train into Salzburg for a day trip.
ski holidays
I did wonder that, but a couple of things have stopped me booking anything:

1) Cost. Staying in / around Zell seems to be more expensive than Fieberbrunn / Saalbach / Westendorf
2) Location. Zell seems to be on the "edge" of our lift pass options, so if the snow there was poor, it might potentially mean a lot of driving every day?

If I'm wrong please correct me!!

Cheers
Matthew
ski holidays
Give some SERIOUS consideration to joining the UK Section of the Austrian Alpine Club (http://aacuk.org.uk).
Your joining fee (between £30 and £40 per person) includes comprehensive accident/repatriation insurance in the event you have an accident/need to be carted off the mountain
Crying or Very sad given that WON'T happen, the main benefit here is that you can get some cheapy travel insurance to cover the rest of your needs that doesn't include an inflated premium for winter sports.
The other benefits are:
A comprehensive mountain hut system that will not require you to stay a minimum number of nights. You can book or just turn up. These huts are situated in locations that primarily suit trekking/hiking or back country skiing but for example they have a "hut" right on the Kuhtai main street so it may well be worth you investing a bit of time finding out what other ski resorts happen to have Aplenverein huts conveniently located on or near the slopes. I can't imagine that there is only Kuhtai..
Discount on bed and board. We usually end up spending circa £50-£55 pppn which is dinner, bed and breakfast and beers. Some huts have private rooms, some small dorms and some large dorms; some a mix. You probably would not want to spend a month in one but if you are moving around they are great. And the atmosphere is lovely.
Reciprocal rights in other countries. Should you not find snow in Austria or simply fancy going elsewhere the membership card allows you to get the same deal in mountain huts in France, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia and so on.

Have a great break whatever you do. I am massively jealous....

suec
latest report
@jellemr, you'll get the best deals somewhere along the axis between Fieberbrunn and Saalfelden to be honest. Hochfilzen would be a good option but it is relatively quiet as it is primarily a cross-country resort and the main season might well be over by then for the "walker/skaters" (just joking folks - I indulge so consider myself a "walker"). Another option for a slightly livlier town would be St Johann in Tirol.

Those dates are not too late and in recent seasons we have had some mega dumps in late March and April, even last year saw plenty of the white fluffy stuff falling over Easter which was not as early.
snow report
@jellemr, if the snow is poor its 5 mins drive to Kaprun where the glacier is - a free ski bus or you can drive. It will be more expensive accommodation wise than Westendorf and Fieberbrunn on average but thats not to say it is pricey and that there are no cheap apartments - I stayed here last new year for 350 euros for a week - http://kurthanke.members.cablelink.at/index_e.htm

I think Saalbach would on average be just as costly if not more from my experience - it might be worth you talking to snowhead member Tatman's Tours and see if he has availability at his apartment in Saalbach.
ski holidays
@jellemr, I agree with @Samerberg Sue, St Johann in Tirol/Fieberbrunn would be a great central location with most of the AllStar resorts within 30-40 minutes. You can get to Saalbach-Hinterglemm on skis from Fieberbrunn or Leogang depending on snow conditions and links remaining open (or drive around if the links are closed), or Kitzbuhel, Zell/Kaprun, Going/Ellmau for Wilder Kaiser as well as the skiing around St Johann, so plenty for a two-week holiday.

Last season was far from epic, but there was still a big dump of snow on 6th April in Saalbach, followed by a week of glorious sunshine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy