Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ouch! Not the best route choice for off-piste. Video of some rather harrowing off-piste adventure

Poster: A snowHead
What he said. He could kick steps in the snow, but it looked rotten.

If they had rope skills... they'd not be there in the first place, or at least they would not start from this point. If you don't even have an axe then ropes aren't a priority in my view. I doubt either of them would want to share a rope with the other, thinking about it.

You can't really tell, but it didn't look that steep to start with so they could perhaps have just traversed around or sidestepped back up. Perhaps they "knew" that "it went", in which case turning back was probably not an option they gave much thought to. They would have been correct: it did actually "go", and it looked ridable. So I think they probably overestimated their ability, wimped out, and then stuffed up the recovery.

I think someone at least is doing the world a service by publishing that, although if it was me I'm not sure I'd have that type of courage.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
philwig wrote:
Perhaps they "knew" that "it went", in which case turning back was probably not an option they gave much thought to. They would have been correct: it did actually "go", and it looked ridable. So I think they probably overestimated their ability, wimped out, and then stuffed up the recovery.

I think someone at least is doing the world a service by publishing that, although if it was me I'm not sure I'd have that type of courage.

I think you're right on both points there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:
@betterinblack
If you're mate is out of his depth and uncomfortable and out of his depth before you've dropped in, you back off and find something mellower. Calling for a rescue would be a very very last resort once all other possibilities had been exhausted. I'd rather spend 12 hours walking out than call a heli that could be saving someone's life, if the situation is manageable.

Fair point I was being a bit flippant with the immediate heli-taxi suggestion but I'd imagine Mr B and T would be ill prepared for a 12 hour walk out, I can only imagine the fun and games on head cam footage then.

Definitely think backing off would have been a good idea even if it's just to find a sheltered zone of safety to collect your thoughts and discuss what's next and depending on timing to let the snow soften up a bit.

I'd love to know more about the back gound to this video, its been up on youtube since August 14 but doesn't shed any light on WTF was actually going on.

[quote="philwig"]...

You can't really tell, but it didn't look that steep to start with so they could perhaps have just traversed around or sidestepped back up. Perhaps they "knew" that "it went", in which case turning back was probably not an option they gave much thought to. They would have been correct: it did actually "go", and it looked ridable. So I think they probably overestimated their ability, wimped out, and then stuffed up the recovery.
...quote]

Yeah it only looked steep after the first side slip.
I do wonder though if there was another route further across that there were/should have been aiming for?

PS Looking again Mr Bean appears to have bindings on a rail system not touring bindings, so I guess skins weren't worth carrying? Good job he brought his "touring" poles wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking at that again, the snow is definitely firm but its not boiler plate. When head cam guy finally slips it looks like either his heels got too high or the snow just gave way on him. He was certainly making nice deep boot holes when he was downclimbing.

First thing I would say is that he definitely had an opportunity to back off by sidestepping up before his made decided to dive down the gulley. He should have done it too - he could see the snow got narrower and steeper below him then disappeared out of sight. An obviously bad call to continue.

Then he took his skis off and started walking down that steep frozen turf face first with no hand hold other than using his skis as a walking stick. I'd say he was bloody lucky not to fall there.

I think he could have side STEPPED (rather than sideslipped) across a mixture of snow, rock and turf. Slipping across that grippy stuff can cause difficulties but skis will hold quite well on rock if you step down cautiously.

If you HAD to downclimb from there I would be looking to get my skis out of the way (rucsac, leave them and come back with a rope, put them on a sling and let them hang below you). without an axe I would seriously consider going out on the rock skiers right of the gulley - the angle is gentler and I reckon I'd get better hand holds. With one axe, even without crampons, I think that snow and angle would be OK to downclimb provided I wasn't trying to juggle skis and poles at the same time. In fairness, I think that delicate little traverse he did across the grass back into the gulley, teetering on his toes and poles was quite neatly done! Like I say I would probably have gone onto the rock the otherside to avoid it.

I don't think a screw would be much use either. You might get some rock gear in somewhere but you are unlikely to have that with you.

My other thought is that anyone who reckons that they would ski that tight section (definitely narrower than your skis) with a MUST DO stop on a small patch of steep, firm snow above god only knows what has definitely got bigger balls than me!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@betterinblack, I would be very happy climbing on that terrain with one axe and crampons, I've climbed countless gullies like that. If he had a couple of slings he may have been able to just loop one around a rock, that can provide enough security in case of a slip when taking skis off. A spare sling is also useful to prevent the skis from making a descent on their own while they are being strapped to a pack.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thing is, after seeing his mate slide to what could reasonably have been feared to be his death, the guy probably wasn't thinking too clearly. The only sensible thing to have done would be side-step back up again, then think. But going down after his friend was a natural reaction, in the circumstances, though not a good one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh dear.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 11-10-21 22:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think I would have gone onto a convex hill like that without knowing I could ski out. At the point that he took off his skis I would be sidestepping out and hoping I could traverse across to somewhere I could see down. Even if it took all day! Like them, I haven't mountaineered and wouldn't have assumed I could go down without skis. That's a whole new sport: luge perhaps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Thing is, after seeing his mate slide to what could reasonably have been feared to be his death, the guy probably wasn't thinking too clearly. The only sensible thing to have done would be side-step back up again, then think. But going down after his friend was a natural reaction, in the circumstances, though not a good one.

Not so sure about that.

1. Have a think before you do anything! No point sidestepping up if you then decide you have to come down again
2. Going down to his mate may have been necessary - the problem was how he chose to go down. We all know the rules 'down endanger yourself etc' in first aid, but that's not always so applicable in the mountains (compared to everyday life). They could have been several hours from help (I really have no idea where they are!), in which case if his mate is injured then it's all on him to save him...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@clarky999, He clearly knew he wasn't capable of skiing down, and trying to descend that route without his skis and with not even an ice axe was highly likely to end in tears - with them both out of action. If he had no gear/technique to descend safely he really needed to find a safer way down - he was going to be no use to his mate if he knackered himself. And given that the guy was decked out in unnecessary technology (and no ice axe.....) he almost certainly had a phone, which would have enabled him to start the process of alerting people to their predicament. They probably both had phones - certainly somebody called in the chopper.

So yes, I don't think he should have tried to descend that route, in the circs and he needed to get himself out of the immediate danger of doing so accidentally.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, I think rather than not being able to ski down he just panicked and stopped thinking properly. He sideslipped the first bit just fine, and he could probably have sideslipped the rest (where the snow should be softer). But a lot of inexperienced skiers choose to walk rather than sideslip, presumably 'cos it feels more natural to them, even though it's more dangerous. You see that even on pistes often enough when people take friends onto slopes they shouldn't be anywhere near.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think he took off his skis as there is a patch of actual boiler plate at the thin crux, at around 1.01 on the video. I also suspect he rang his mate on the phone when he took it out, you see his friend using a phone also when he gets down, this explains his lack of panic or shouting to see how he is. So he prob found out then that he had hurt himself and was downclimbing to help him.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how the first faller fell though, he seems to have been on such gentle ground. It almost looks fake the way the two of them seem so nonplussed too!

Agree he should have skied it, (or possibly down climbed down the rocks or grass?) but to be honest rather than focus on what they did wrong its hard to see anything these lads did right.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
8611 wrote:
its hard to see anything these lads did right.

He told his mate to "be careful" at the start of the video, good advice.

The slopes are a lot steeper than they look in the fish-eye go pro lens. The snow actually seems to have quite a good grip as it falls in little crystals under the edge of his skis, but it is rutted by previous skiers.

The milky snow of the narrow crux doesn't look nice though and with the rocky section on the left would have been difficult to side step down. It reminds me of someone I crossed this winter, Lionel Tassan, some people here may know him. He'd just skied a route and I asked how he'd tackled a frozen waterfall near the bottom of the couloir that I'd looked at from below, about 3 meters of glass hard ice at 45 degrees. "Oh yeah, I was a bit surprised but I didn't have crampons so I couldn't climb back up, so I straightlined it and when I reached the snow below I slammed my edges in to brake (braquage was his word)". Nerves of steel as someone earlier commented.

Still all was well in the end for the guys in the video. No real harm done, lesson learned, maybe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all some interesting replies.
I certainly think that the videos OP has helped by putting this out there, my suspicion is that he and friend probably are better skiers and less clueless than the video depicts.
Accidents can happen to anyone and occasionally many of us get carried away and perhaps haven't planned as much as possible.
davidof wrote:
... It reminds me of someone I crossed this winter, Lionel Tassan, some people here may know him. He'd just skied a route and I asked how he'd tackled a frozen waterfall near the bottom of the couloir that I'd looked at from below, about 3 meters of glass hard ice at 45 degrees. [i]"Oh yeah, I was a bit surprised but I didn't have crampons so I couldn't climb back up, so I straightlined it and when I reached the snow below I slammed my edges in to brake"

Having looked this guy up he seems to pootle around groomers most of the day so doubt he'd ever bother packing crampons wink
But nice to illustrate the benefit of "over" packing.

8611 wrote:
I think he took off his skis as there is a patch of actual boiler plate at the thin crux, at around 1.01 on the video. I also suspect he rang his mate on the phone when he took it out, you see his friend using a phone also when he gets down, this explains his lack of panic or shouting to see how he is. So he prob found out then that he had hurt himself and was downclimbing to help him.

I agree the reason for the ski removal but do think even if he'd spoke to his friend (not clear due to the edit when he gets the phone out) that there was a significant element of panic / irrational thought that went into that decision making process due to the fall he witnessed.

anarski wrote:
Oh dear. It goes from bad to worse.
Why didn't he wait for his mate before he set off side slipping down the difficult bit? Seems a bit impatient to me.

This seems a key point to me also, why oh why at the point his mate already looked out of his comfort zone (in rocks/grass) did he push on?

Scarpa wrote:
I would be very happy climbing on that terrain with one axe and crampons, I've climbed countless gullies like that.

I remember that you came to skiing from (ice)climbing would be interested to hear a bit more on this. I think with an axe and crampons I would go up that slope ok, but some how (?psychologically) would find it hard to consider down climbing. On the video he looked to have down climbed a reasonable way by kicking steps and seems to lose his balance looking down too much, also carrying four poles made his left hand a bit of a spectator.

Scarpa wrote:
If he had a couple of slings he may have been able to just loop one around a rock, that can provide enough security in case of a slip when taking skis off. A spare sling is also useful to prevent the skis from making a descent on their own while they are being strapped to a pack.

Any chance of some further explanation? What slings would you carry (length, nylon/dyneema)? With the ski where would you attach a sling?

After a couple of incidents last year I'm reassessing my kit and skill set for off piste skiing. Previously my big worries were avalanches / crevasses but now beginning to see navigation, general mountain skills and the ability to say no / turn back are probably just as important. I'm reading Jimmy Oden's free skiing book and doing a bit at a climbing wall (not easy if you're afraid of heights) any other suggestions without going to the Alps or Scotland?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 21-04-15 8:59; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dp

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 21-04-15 4:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@betterinblack, all good thoughts .... I have also been to the climbing wall and got my 'ticket' - simple stuff but I regularly carry rope and gear when skiing off piste so at least I have some idea how to use it. As all will say ... practice is the key ... and I have rigged some test hoists from trees in the garden to simulate crevasse rescue ! very crude but better than nothing.
I have Jimmy Odens book too .... not a great fan of it tbh, but not a lot else that covers the relevant ground.
Also always have IGN maps of where I'm going - but as said above not always easy to judge skiable routes, slopes and traps from the map alone.
Having looked at videao a couple of times .... think it was skiable ... but tough and definitely a lot easier in soft snow. I'd always keep skis on in that situation.
snow conditions
PBJ wrote:
@betterinblack,
I have Jimmy Odens book too .... not a great fan of it tbh, but not a lot else that covers the relevant ground.

Ski Touring,
Alpine Mountaineering,

Both by Bruce Goodlad, both published by Pesda Press. Both very good.

Glacier Travel and Crevasse Rescue by Andy Selters published by Diadem Books, a bit dated now but very detailed.
ski holidays
Skiers with not experience or understanding of very basic mountaineering/scrambling. The kit looks like piste skis with basic backpacks (side pockets instead of ski carry straps)? The first skier to fall had navigated into a cul-de-sac and had to cross rock/grass to get back onto snow, although not in the footage it looks like he fell when on the rock/grass, the DIN must have been low for his skis to come off so easily. He would have been better side stepping back up to get back on route staying on the snow.

The second skier front pointing should not have fallen, the snow looked soft enough to work with the very modest kicks he started with , but after a bit he seemed to stop kicking, just trying to place his feet, hence no purchase.

It looks like if the slope had another half metre of snow to cover the rocks it would have been an easyish slope - maybe there was a lot less snow than they expected

A good example of why aspirant back country skiers should learn a bit of mountain craft to go with (or precede) all that gnarly steeps and deeps stuff
snow conditions
So many times I side step back up (5-10min max) a line that I can't see an exit, only to found out later that it had an easy exit further down.

But I keep telling myself, better miss out on an easy exit than to found out there's no exit at the edge of a 50' cliff.
ski holidays
@OwenM, Thanks for the guidance .... I think when I got the Jimmy Odens book several years ago I probably did not see myself as a Tourer or Mountaineer ! The freeskiing title looked like it hit the spot perfectly .... but have certainly broadened scope since then.
ski holidays
betterinblack wrote:
may have been able to just loop one around a rock, that can provide enough security in case of a slip when taking skis off. A spare sling is also useful to prevent the skis from making a descent on their own while they are being strapped to a pack.

Any chance of some further explanation? What slings would you carry (length, nylon/dyneema)? With the ski where would you attach a sling?
After a couple of incidents last year I'm reassessing my kit and skill set for off piste skiing. Previously my big worries were avalanches / crevasses but now beginning to see navigation, general mountain skills and the ability to say no / turn back are probably just as important. I'm reading Jimmy Oden's free skiing book and doing a bit at a climbing wall (not easy if you're afraid of heights) any other suggestions without going to the Alps or Scotland?

Scarpa here. A very good summary about having a full tool kit of skills. If you have a long sling you can put one loop between your legs and then use the rest to come around your waist from each side to make an improvised harness (better to wear a light ski specific one really though if you thing you may need it). If you have a couple of thin Dyneema slings you can often hook one over a protruding piece of rock while you sort kit out. I think that in that snow it may have become softer lower down and he just broke through it... not really sure though.

If I was heading down terrain like that I would just wear something like the BD Couloir harness and carry 3 x 1 metre slings and a couple of krabs. A light short length walking axe is easy to carry on your pack, you could also hold it in conjunction with a pole. Saying that... I've never tried doing that myself so it would be prudent to practice on easy ground.

Have fun and be safe Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy