Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next set of kids skis...recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Somewhat along the lines of this post but not wanting to hijack the original given the differences...my 10 year old daughter has just about outgrown her current skis so I'm looking to get some more out of season, ready for next winter. We now live in Sweden and get 15-20 days (possibly more) in each season so I'm happy to buy and avoid the hassles of renting. She's currently 142cm tall (so add a bit for next winter!), very active (swims to a decent competitive standard, sails, runs everywhere) but light for her age and not particularly strong. She passed her ESF 3 star in February, is very capable but her technique isn't brilliant yet and gets ragged as it gets steep or icy. She likes a bit of speed (but will never race) and is beginning to get into the lumps, bumps & trees off the sides of the piste. Her old skis are 128cm Fischer RC4s, picked up second hand here in Sweden, which she has liked but I do wonder if they've been a little too stiff for her and that may have hurt her technique a bit. Second hand here is hit and miss - sometimes there's something good, often not, and usually expensive - so I'll probably buy new then look to sell on afterwards.

Given that she enjoys messing around and is not interested in racing, I'm wondering about something a little more park/off-piste (twin tip, possibly with some rocker and softer) rather than going down the pure piste/early race ski line. But then I wonder whether she'd be better served with a ski that will help her improve her basic technique - I guess she'll have fun on whatever skis she has, and they won't limit what she does at her level anyway.

All snowHead suggestions gratefully received Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mgrolf, not something I know much about but my perception at that age and size there isn't a huge amount of difference between the skis that you can get anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mgrolf,

I posted on the other thread but for my two (aged 10 and 12) I have just moved them away from racey slalom skis to something
Quote:

a little more park/off-piste

They both got a lot out of the slalom skis - they really reward good edging technique and they have helped both my two develop upper/lower body separation at quite a young age. I'm not suggesting that they are going to be champion skiers just that getting to this point guarantees they will get pretty good and I think the skis really helped with that. While they have spent a bit of time in the gates they are doing more and more freeride type skiing with me and their instructor. He had been pointing out that short, narrow, stiff, heavy skis are not ideal offpiste!

Next season they will both be on skis about head height, 75-80 under foot, 12-14m radius. I just bought what I could find second hand. His have twin tips, hers just have a big shovel.

Don't know if that helps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mgrolf, I am original poster on the other thread. I have been looking into skis for my daughter who despite being 12 is the same height as your daughter.

One of the skis I had narrowed it down to before thinking she may be better off going into ladies skis was the K2 Remedy 75 available from Glisshop for 183 euros more than likely available elsewhere too. They are twin tips and have had good reviews and they are reasonably 'girlie' if your daughter would prefer a girlie pair of skis.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I meant to reply yesterday. We've bought second hand until last Autumn when I plumped for a pair of K2 Juvys from glisshop. Twin tipped fairly flexible all rounders. Wondering where to go next as I don't think the Juvys go beyond 140. Mine don't need race/slalom skis. Just all rounders. And as they aren't beginners something with a bit of oomph. Can't find an oomph factor in the description though wink Laughing snowHead

If you find something good let me know so I can nab them before you Cool Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A lot depends on where you ski in Sweden. In many resorts there is a lot of artificial snow, hard icy conditions are the norm and off-piste is pretty limited. I ski about 80 days a year in Sweden and this year we had just two days where we got the fat skis out after a big snowfall. So unless you live in the north and ski at a resort with a lot of off pistr possibilities, piste oriented skis or a pair of narrower twin tips suitable for the park are the best choices.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jedster that was pretty much my thinking - your kids sound better than my daughter so I'm wondering if she'll still benefit more from pure piste skis. @luvtoski I read your post thinking, "I was just about to post nearly the same". But I'm pretty sure my daughter isn't strong enough to handle adult skis yet - hence this thread, rather than diverting yours which seemed to be going in a good direction. I'm looking at the Remedy 75s too. @Layne, I like the concept of an oomph factor as a proper description of a ski, would be very useful. You should trademark it and sell the idea on Smile . If I find something good, I'll buy it and let you know Laughing. @hyperkub, we're definitely not north, and this winter was really poor (so bad that the hills close to Gothenburg barely even opened)- that maybe swings the balance back towards piste skis. I wouldn't go fat for her, there's no way she's strong enough or good enough to cope with some of the junior fat skis. Thanks everyone for the ideas, keep them coming.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just ordered a set of K2 Juvy's for my son from Glisshop. 2014/15 season skis reduced in the end of season sale to £107 including delivery to the UK. I've gone for 139 cm as he is currently on 130 cm Atomic Vantage Jr II with XTE045 Bindings. They have been fine for him but he has now started to play in the edges of the piste and likes trying little jumps and triscks. I'll probably take both pairs with us to Val d'Isere next March so he can alternate.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The skis arrived yesterday. They look good and I'm sure my son will be delighted. They are being put up in the attic until Christmas as they will be his Christmas present along with a new Columbia jacket and salopettes that I also picked up at 50% discount in an end of season sale. I've never had Christmas shopping done so early. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Looking at the bases I'm trying to fathom whether they have been waxed or if they have a manufacturers coating that will need to be removed before they are first used.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gaza, even my MIL hasn't done any Christmas shopping yet!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ wrote:
@Gaza, even my MIL hasn't done any Christmas shopping yet!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally I'd give them a wax before you go away they'll dry out over time especially in a hot attic during the summer.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gaza wrote:
Looking at the bases I'm trying to fathom whether they have been waxed or if they have a manufacturers coating that will need to be removed before they are first used.

They will have a manufacturers coating. Some people would say that needs to be removed and given a "proper" waxing. But I didn't with my sons new skis or indeed mine. And they performed fine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy