Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top speed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I went on a late season trip to La Thuile recently and used the Trace snow app for the first time. My highest speed was 55.3mph which I was quite happy with. have any of my fellow snow heads used This app? If so, what speedshave you recorded?

As an aside, how accurate do you think these apps are?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
78mph,BLack 3, La Thuille, use a real GPS.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have ski tracks although I am a pussy so don't use it to try and beat top speeds, just for how much ground we've covered in a day.

Having seen a seasonaire kill themselves by crashing into a snow cannon a few years ago whilst trying to get to 100mph on ski tracks, I've taken a different view on these top speed apps. I think they can breed too much risk taking which is no good for any mountain user.

Yes I know, I'm an old git Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most of them seem to overread by 25-30% when checked against an official speed check on a prepared and segregated piste in Tignes.

I'm with T-S-J!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its all about the turns Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stephen59 wrote:
78mph, BLack 3, La Thuille, use a real GPS.
I presume this was in a World Cup race?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did 3285 kph last week in La Thuille according to my GPS.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They over-estimate hugely, for snow sports. They're optimized mostly for driving on roads.

If you'd ever seen a race or a speed course close up you'd understand: you will never, ever see anyone riding at serious speeds on a public piste on consumer gear. On a speed course most of the course is for deceleration. The crash pads are house sized, and if you see someone hit them, you'll know why. People don't ride park boards and boots there.

The world record was broken quite recently and is now 203 km/h. So about 130mph in old units, or 1,000mph for iPhone people I'd guess wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually the world record for speed skiing is over 250kph or closer to 160mph but for more conventional downhill racing it was broken the other year on the Wengen course (2013 by Johan Clarey) where he got past the 100mph/160kmh barrier, on the Hanneg Schuss part of the course, thats a fast fairly steep and straight section where even someone like myself can get around 100kph (theres sometimes a speed gun with display there)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The world record was broken quite recently and is now 203 km/h. So about 130mph in old units, or 1,000mph for iPhone people I'd guess

Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've found SkiTracks app on iPhone to often be within 10% when cross checked against car speedo and the on slope radar speed traps. I say often, because you regularly still get anomalous readings. In my opinion (if you're at all interested in these things) you should skip the quoted Max Speed, and instead look at the graphs and ignore any reported speeds you didn't maintain for at least 30 seconds.

Although my "Max Speed" if often around 60mph, the maximum maintained speed would be closer to 40. Even that is scary fast on an all mountain board and just a by product of avoiding flats etc rather than any sort of daily target. On busier pistes or if conditions are poor then 20mph max wouldn't be unusual - and to be honest feels just as risky as 40mph in perfect conditions.

But as a said, these aren't any sort of target, just idle observation of my usual riding.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf wrote:
Actually the world record for speed skiing is over 250kph ..

But actually it's a snowboarding forum.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did 0.4 MPH recently, and was fastest in my group.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I've found SkiTracks app on iPhone to often be within 10% when cross checked against car speedo

It is a legal requirement that the cars speedo be within 10% of the true speed. The GPS is probably probably the correct one.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Frank Lundy, I use this app and notched up 50.4 mph in Solitude in March. I do like riding fast but always put safety first so generally look towards the quieter pistes where there is good vis and a long run off without it crossing another run. I've also managed to reach 48mph sustained speed!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy