Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seven year Old British skier dies in accident in French Alps.

Poster: A snowHead
Breaking news from BBC, said to be a 7 year old boy Sad RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32264129

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 11-04-15 20:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More from Le Dauphine http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2015/04/11/un-petit-garcon-de-7-ans-se-tue-en-sautant-une-barre-rocheuse
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Absolutely tragic Crying or Very sad RIP and condolences to his family
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awful news.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is very tricky and indeed awful. From the Mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3034732/British-boy-7-dies-family-skiing-holiday-getting-separated-parents-piste-falling-cliff-trying-them.html

It's tricky to say anything since the family must be devastated. And important not to jump prematurely to conclusions since things tend to be cloudy and surrounded by incorrect things at this early stage. But if the rescuers' statements are correct, it will lead to trouble. Leaving a seven year to ski down is imprudent. My kids have been climbing and skiing since they were two and a half. Skiing down alone at seven. Not good if it was the case.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 11-04-15 12:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is awful.

I would be cautious about jumping to conclusions here - the details may very well be wrong. Other stories in French papers describe the boy as becoming inadvertently separated from his family.

Has anyone seen information on which piste they started out on? Some of the stories mention being at 1500m which would mean they must have been on a run into one of the other Grand Massif towns (e.g. Les Carroz or Morillon) since Flaine is at around 1600m. But perhaps this is an error.

2500m would seem more likely - there are some steep drops close to the side of some of the red/black pistes down from the Grandes Platieres cable car.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heartbreaking Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As the father of a 7 year old this is very close to my heart. I can't really imagine any parent allowing a 7 year old to ski down on their own. I suspect it is more a case of the poor child being separated for his parents as is being reported in most media.

Rest in peace little one.

Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just awful. Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tragic Sad Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think I've ever read anything more gut wrenching than the finding of his skis in the snow having been taken off and his little foot prints clearly looking for his parents, feel physically ill

Please don't turn this thread into one of judgmental comments, the family have suffered enough, lets all just take as much care as we can into the future
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The family may read this thread, I think restraint may be best policy rather than folks offering opinions. Tragic, RIP to the little one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just tragic Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Absolutely horrible, I don't know how any family could ever get past losing a child especially like this, I know I couldn't. My heart goes out to them.

I am telling myself that because this is front page news even on the BBC now, it proves how rare this sort of thing must surely be and how unlucky the little boy was.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Absolutely awful, Rest in Peace.
snow conditions
Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP little one Crying or Very sad
latest report
RIP tragic shame
snow report
@sparklies, only up to a point. Of course the most dangerous things for children are cars: in th UK around 1500 fatalities and serious injuries in under 16s in 2011 down from 3700 in 2000 (20mph limits in urban areas appear to be working). But in 2002 we had two Dutch kids killed with their father, going over the cliff to tzuzier in bad visibility. And I have seen some nasty injuries (one very serious neck injury) when young skiers (7 ish) have been well in advance of their parents on slopes that they should not have been skiing. And that's only personal experience.

More stats-based: NSAA stats gives less than 10pc of fatalities in US skiing being under 10 - with around 42 deaths in the us per annum in total. This compares with around 7 youths playing football in the US. This actually makes skiing look reasonable, although the total hours children spend skiing in the U.S. is probably minute compared to the total hours youths spend playing football.

This news today sounds like a preventable accident, even if it was just accidental separation and it's horrific to think of an anxious, lonesome child walking into such danger.

Instructions to youngsters when with us: if lost, stop. Find a pole at the side if the piste and stay there. Hail a passing 'ski mummy' or pisteur and explain the situation. Do what the mum or pisteur says. And don't panic.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 11-04-15 19:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
It is funny what they think is news (this), and what they don't (the 5 people killed on the roads here each day).

I've lost friends in the mountains and on the roads. It never offended me that people talk about it .
latest report
@valais2,
Quote:

Of course the most dangerous things for children are cars: in th UK around 1500 fatalities in under 16s in 2011 down from 3700 in 2000

Not quite sure about those stats. According to HMG the total number of ALL car occupants to die in road accidents in 2011 was only 883. If you include all road users (pedestrains, cyclists etc.) then the total is still only 1900 for that year. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/annual-road-fatalities
ski holidays
@philwig,
Quote:

It is funny what they think is news (this), and what they don't (the 5 people killed on the roads here each day).

It's not that peculiar. The five killed on the roads may be statistically more significant but it is certailnly less 'interesting' and less newsworthy. 'News' is what people want to read, what interests them and what they will pay good money to read about in the papers. Look at it another way, a man getting eaten alive by his pet goldfish is obviously more newsworthy than two 95 year old people dying of heart attacks, don't you think?
ski holidays
I can see how they work, of course. I guess I mean that it is a distorted view.. They would aim to show the truth, but instead distort reality. Now we'll have a huge reaction to this, but not to parents using their phone whilst driving...
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, sorry you are absolutely right - the figs are 'killed and seriously injured' not deaths alone. Apologies.

Figs from this site, quoting HMG stats:

http://makingthelink.net/child-deaths-road-traffic-accidents

Using these base stats

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-annual-report-2011

Thanks
snow report
"Mr Ollagnon told the BBC: "It seems as if the boy did the last piste descent of the day on his own after asking his parents' permission. He appears to have become lost before falling over the edge of the cliff after taking his skis off."
snow conditions
@Levi215, ... Shocking if it proves to be true ... I think there is likely to be a lot of discussion about this ... Although with due sensitivity to the family at the present time ...
ski holidays
Just read this here and looked at the Daily mail link.

So sad and words can not have any meaning for the family at this horrible time.

What shocks me almost as much though is how people can rate down posts of condolence on the newspaper site. Do they have no humanity or morals of any description? The family do not need people like that, they need time to come to terms with every parents worst nightmare if ever they can come to terms with what has happened.
latest report
Sounds as if it could have happened to anyone, thinking about it (not a parent) but i would let a youngster ski down a blue by themselves, get them to wait at the next junction. Would keep them insight incase something happened, a fall or whatever but that's the same as any kind of skiing. If the Mrs is infront of me i keep her in sight and if i'm ahead i'll wait at each junction so we continue skiing together... A devastating accident no doubt but it could well have happened to a 20 something from what is currently known....
latest report
RIP. Just terrible.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would let their 7 year old ski down on their own. So I am assuming that it is mis-reported.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very sad news.
ski holidays
Absolutely tragic.
latest report
So sad, having just returned today from VT with my daughter this rips my heart out.

I am trying to think of a blue in Flaine that can be so dangerous, only the top of the DMC has cliffs does it not? or maybe to the right of tourmaline as you descend?

Heartbreaking.
ski holidays
The instructor interviewed on by the BBC mentioned trees - and being "close" - so it doesn't sound like it was up near the top but perhaps closer to resort.

This report mentions the Aujon sector...

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2015/04/11/un-petit-garcon-de-7-ans-se-tue-en-sautant-une-barre-rocheuse
latest report
Sad news - only heard about it today on the BBC website - not heard anything here in Flaine
Makes you think about what you could have done - was probably on the slopes at the same time
snow conditions
So so sad, completely heart wrenching and slightly terrifying as my little one starts skiing soon. You cant in any way blame the parents at all. How many kids like to play at the side of the piste / between trees. Accidents do happen and with the huge numbers of skiers out there, sadly at some point it will occur, no matter how safe we are.

Sleep well little man, keep skiing in your dreams. My thoughts are with his family.
snow report
Corduroy wrote:

I am trying to think of a blue in Flaine that can be so dangerous,

Possibly the cliffs above the Lac de Flaine. He probably could see the resort and maybe thought he could get down. It reminds me of an accident in les Houches where two very young kids were killed falling over cliffs, probably following the lights they could see in the valley below.
ski holidays
Absolute worst nightmare on a ski hol; unbelievably sad whatever the circumstances
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Corduroy wrote:

I am trying to think of a blue in Flaine that can be so dangerous,

Possibly the cliffs above the Lac de Flaine. He probably could see the resort and maybe thought he could get down. It reminds me of an accident in les Houches where two very young kids were killed falling over cliffs, probably following the lights they could see in the valley below.

Poor little man, terrifying. Really cuts you to the core thinking about it. Sad
latest report
@PaulC1984, ...we were skiing a steep red, a nasty south facing ice sheet, very tricky, when a young boy of maybe 10 came barrelling past in a snowplough, and the inevitable happened just below us as, at extremely high speed, he pitched head first. He should never have been on the slope. We attended. His parents arrived a very long time later. They had let him get ahead, were not attending to his behaviour or adequately matching which slope he was doing to his ability. He was helicoptered off an hour later with a serious neck injury, which will probably be with him for the rest of his life.

We blamed the parents. No two ways about it.
ski holidays
@valais2, understand what you are saying, and in this case I would totally agree with you. I think until facts are out though, we should have some respect for the boy and his family and not point fingers. Im very aware your not pointing fingers in this case btw
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, thanks, appreciate your response - agree entirely re respect. I think the law in France may be quite tricky - a magistrate will most likely be appointed and will have a lot of discretionary powers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy