Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need a wax job ???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last week i took my board to hemel for a day.

When i came back home it seems like all the wax i applied the week before has been stripped.

i took a photo of the edge of the board, does this looks like i need to wax it again ?

Also how often to you need to have the edges sharpen / detune ?

Ta

[url]

[/url]

[url]
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
[/url]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-07-15 8:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Last week i took my board to heme for a day.

When i came back home it seems like all the wax i applied the week before has been striped.

i took a photo of the edge of the board, does this looks like i need to wax it again ?

Also how often to you need to have the edges sharpen / detune ?

Striped wax would be interesting, but I guess you mean "stripped". You can't really tell from looking at a picture. If you can't tell from riding then it doesn't matter.

Artificial snow wears wax fast, depending on what wax you use, although I'd expect to get more than a day out of a decent wax job. 3-4 days on hard piste would be typical. That's not artificial, but there's no way you can ride huge vertical at Hemel - even if you're fast, the lifts are not. Extruded bases (as opposed to sintered) are supposed to hold wax less well and are commonly used for park boards: you don't really need wax (or speed) if you're on rails.

With experience you can tell from touching the base if it needs waxing - if it doesn't feel "waxy" then it needs doing. Push your finger across the base. Compare how it feels in areas where there's probably plenty of wax versus those where it wears fastest (by the edge versus the centre of the board, assuming you can edge the board). You should be able to feel the difference.

For riding on piste I re-sharpen when the edges need it. Just ride the board, and when you feel that the edges could use a tune, do it. If you can't tell, don't do it. I never sharpen the edges on powder boards as you don't use them. I never detune edges, I ride them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our French neighbour, seeing my OH waxing some skis on the terrace, asked if you have to do that every year. Her skis looked fairly ancient and probably hadn't been waxed since the demise of the franc but she got round the mountain on them OK. I once left the wax on one of mine, and scraped the other, then threw them on the snow at random and really couldn't tell which was which, and after a couple of runs they definitely felt the same.

OK, I am definitely a punter, but I do think it's possible to make too much fuss about these things. Like someone just learning the basics of sailing a dinghy faffing around trying to tune the rigging.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, a large +1 to that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wink I kind of like the attitude of some of those French guys - it's the opposite of the consumerism you sometimes see in the sport.

On a point of detail... a "scraped" and an "un-scraped" base would both actually be waxed, as the business bit is what's actually in the base, not what's on it. If you failed to scrape one board, then that excess wax would I think not stay there for long anyway. So you're not actually comparing wax versus non-wax. Just saying.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My only advice is tune at a frequency you feel comfortable with. When something is new and shiny the natural tendency is to service it often. Once it's hit a few rocks and had some base welds drop out your inclination is to think well unless it's actually dragging then I can live with it until I get round to it. All IME anyway. Slapping on wax and a file for every week on snow seems like a fair compromise.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The short version is that the answer to the question "Do I need to wax my board/skis now?" is always "Yes".

The long version is that most of the time it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. More important in sticky conditions, off-piste, in the park and for racing. For general bombing around, you'll reach your own limits long before maxing out the speed of your base, waxed or not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I usually use my board for my one or two week holiday, hot wax and scrape to clean, then hot wax on and store waxed. Reheat, cool, then scrape before I go, so i guess I'm once every one or two weeks. Beer, music and the smell of hot wax in the house really puts me in the mood. snowHead
ski holidays
 xrdcarbon
xrdcarbon
Striped wax would be interesting,if you are interested in it,go ahead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy