Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is it with the snowboarder's group mentality?

Poster: A snowHead
Why do groups of boarders slide half way down a run then stop and sit down as a group in the middle of the piste. admittedly I've done some of my best sharp turns avoiding these idiots but the joke is wearing thin.
And what's the collective noun for snowboarders?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-04-15 4:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A SHOWER of snowboarders
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure how seriously a troll posting about the piste in an off-piste forum expects to be taken.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@philwig, quite right: this is clearly a discussion about snowBoarding and should therefore be in the snowBoarding forum - thread moved.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's actually a Whoop of snowboarders. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobG, NFI.

But they do.

Darwinism in action?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobG, if it bothers you that much why not just go ski at Deer Valley or Alta?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
to the OP: snowboarders cannot really stand and wait for their mates (it is hard work standing still on a snowboard). So you have to sit down on bum - or knees, if facing up the hill.

And just like skiers sometimes need to rest (standing), catch up with mates, talk about whether to go left or right, which lift to go to, where to meet for lunch, etc. snowboarders have those needs too.

It's almost like they are people wanting to enjoy the snow...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The sitting and kneeling is irrelevant. It has to be done.
The middle of the piste is bad practice; just like skiers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OP - not sure which snowboarders you're referring to. When I board with others, we stop at the side of the piste, sit down and wait.

I guess the snowboarders you refer to have the same gene as the skiers that stand in groups in the middle of the piste

Yawn...shall we stop with this now?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never seen a group of snowboarders stop in the middle of the piste, maybe I've been lucky?

I have been skiing with a group of snowboarders who would stop at the side of the piste, where we'd join them to discuss routes / lunch / wipeouts. etc.

I guess there are idiots who stop in the middle of the piste, but idiots are not confined to snowboards
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do leave off. If u think skiers stop in the middle of the piste as much as boarders you're either blind, ignorant, or both. Then there's the boarders who think it's a good idea to sit down in the middle...over the brow of a hill! As for getting off a chairlift, skiing thru a crowd of people only to be confronted by 2 or 3 boarders (that's all it takes), sitting down blocking the whole path! But finally u get to the bottom, and get stuck behind two boarders in a chairlift queue zzz. Not only do they take up the room of 8 skiiers, u take your skis top sheets' lives in your hands if u attempt to go anywhere near them. Boarding, great in the deep, rubbish on piste, a massive victory for style over substance. Don't believe the hype.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don Keebles wrote:
Do leave off. If u think skiers stop in the middle of the piste as much as boarders you're either blind, ignorant, or both.

True - based on my experience this season (my fellow) skiers will be forming a human wall across the piste at the top of each and every drop.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree that skiers are every bit as likely to get in the way - especially the ones who faff around on the off-ramp of chairlifts, re-arranging their poles.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is just precious skier bull-crap.

My experiences are that skiers are 90% more likely to stand across the middle of the piste (especially when there is a ledge or a ridge)

I often inform them politely that the shouldn`t have been born and ski over their skis.

We have a rule in our group. You stop on the side and you stop BELOW the person who stopped first.
snow report
@Don Keebles, you should see the state of my top sheets. Loads of scratches and large chunks missing, not from boarders but from skiers. My skis on the other hand are fine.
ski holidays
This is like the driver versus cyclist thing. It's a lame troll to "argue" that because I drive I have to justify people who kill children with their cars, or because I cycle I have to justify cyclists riding through red lights. In real life that would be laughably absurd.

If you can't deal with other people at resorts, either learn how to, or don't go.
snow conditions
Love to go skiing with u lot. We'll all put a grand in the kitty and whenever we see a boarder sat, kneeling, whatever, in the middle of the piste, I take £50 out, whenever there's a skiier who's stuck on their back bottom, u take £50. If I lose, I lose. Prepared to put my money where my mouth is tho.
ski holidays
...but that would involve riding with you Don... umm, no thanks.

Maybe some lessons will help with your ski control issues and help you look ahead, identify potential obstacles earlier. Maybe bend the knees a little more?
snow conditions
Quote:

whenever there's a skiier who's stuck on their back bottom

why do they have to be stuck on their back bottom? Skiers standing up are just as much in the way, aren't they?
ski holidays
@Don Keebles, you are a bit stupid.
As a few of us have mentioned.
Quote:

The sitting and kneeling is irrelevant. It has to be done.

So let's take that grand and take the nifty out whenever there is a skier stopped in the middle of the piste on or off their feet.
snow report
Haha, nice little caveat there flange 'on or off their feet'. a stopped skiier can move a lot quicker than a sitting boarder. a stopped skiier can be avoided, barged a lot easier than a kneeling boarder. Hit a boarder planted where they shouldn't be and you're over. Hit a skiier and chances are u can bounce off. I'll take your bet one day flange, but don't hide behind caveats...makes u sound like u have no balls.
latest report
Don Keebles wrote:
Haha, nice little caveat there flange 'on or off their feet'. a stopped skiier can move a lot quicker than a sitting boarder. a stopped skiier can be avoided, barged a lot easier than a kneeling boarder. Hit a boarder planted where they shouldn't be and you're over. Hit a skiier and chances are u can bounce off. I'll take your bet one day flange, but don't hide behind caveats...makes u sound like u have no balls.
and you sound like an aggressive idiot
snow report
I think it's clear from this that it is in fact safer if everyone not moving on the piste actually sits down.

There's zero chance of them sliding about then, so they are easier for poor skiers like our correspondent here to avoid. Better riders could also more easily jump over them.

Whilst we're here, people should not be allowed to have poles at ski resorts either. They are pointy and dangerous, and could easily injure other slope users, especially those involved in "sharp turns".
ski holidays
Quote:

I think it's clear from this that it is in fact safer if everyone not moving on the piste actually sits down.

There's zero chance of them sliding about then, so they are easier for poor skiers like our correspondent here to avoid. Better riders could also more easily jump over them.

Whilst we're here, people should not be allowed to have poles at ski resorts either. They are pointy and dangerous, and could easily injure other slope users, especially those involved in "sharp turns".

Hmmm, Sarcasm...the last refuge of the weak argument. Like the no poles suggestion tho, wouldn't have to pull u poor mob about anymore
latest report
@philwig,
....but they are very useful to poke boaders with to see if they are actually asleep wink
latest report
Quote:

Hit a boarder planted where they shouldn't be and you're over. Hit a skiier and chances are u can bounce off.

Laughing you hit somebody stationary on the slope below you and you think it's their fault? Laughing Are you by any chance related to the skier who posted a couple of years ago, aggrieved because they'd been injured on a red run, when they came round a corner and crashed into an "idiot" doing snowplough turns?
snow report
@pam w, aww you are a BAAAD person... PLEASE let it be cagey back from under his bridge. Its been ages since I busted some pentameter...
*Cracks Knuckles*
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobG wrote:
Why do groups of boarders slide half way down a run then stop and sit down as a group in the middle of the piste. admittedly I've done some of my best sharp turns avoiding these idiots but the joke is wearing thin.
And what's the collective noun for snowboarders?

why would you have to do a sharp turn to avoid them? Even if they are sat in the middle of the piste then you must be blind if you didn't see them sooner!?

i'd say that you'd be better spending your time learning to ski properly (you're obviously not very good if you're classifying your "best sharp turns") and maybe go to specsavers before you take your next trip to the mountains rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

you hit somebody stationary on the slope below you and you think it's their fault? Are you by any chance related to the skier who posted a couple of years ago, aggrieved because they'd been injured on a red run, when they came round a corner and crashed into an "idiot" doing snowplough turns?

Oh dear...somebody else who can't seem to read properly. Someone 'planted where they shouldn't be' is not the same as somebody stationary on the slope or snowploughing wherever they happen to be snowploughing. But then again I suppose if u thought before u posted, u wouldn't have a lot to say.
snow report
Wherever they are, Mr K, it's your fault if you crash into them. Or maybe you don't know the rules?
ski holidays
Don Keebles wrote:
Quote:

you hit somebody stationary on the slope below you and you think it's their fault? Are you by any chance related to the skier who posted a couple of years ago, aggrieved because they'd been injured on a red run, when they came round a corner and crashed into an "idiot" doing snowplough turns?

Oh dear...somebody else who can't seem to read properly. Someone 'planted where they shouldn't be' is not the same as somebody stationary on the slope or snowploughing wherever they happen to be snowploughing. But then again I suppose if u thought before u posted, u wouldn't have a lot to say.

unless someones standing on the downside of a kicker I really cant think of anywhere on the mountain that it would be the fault of the stationary person?

I can think of plenty of stupid places, but none were it would be technically there fault if someone collides with them?
snow report
I'm quite aware of the rules Pam. I have cuffed many a snowboarder for skiing into the wife and kids from behind...not many skiiers tho funnily enough.
snow conditions
Don Keebles wrote:
I'm quite aware of the rules Pam. I have cuffed many a snowboarder for skiing into the wife and kids from behind...not many skiiers tho funnily enough.
where were your wife and kids standing when they were skied into?

and I know this will amaze you further, but I've never been hit by a snowboarder, not once.... like I said, I must be lucky
ski holidays
Quote:

I have cuffed many a snowboarder for skiing into the wife and kids from behind

...ah ha - There it is. Killer craze on the starboard side captain! Standby to repel Boarders!
ski holidays
Like eddie alluded to, it doesn't matter if they're stationary or not, the skiier/boarder will be at fault. But if u all go back to the original post, and not keep going off topic to support your own agenda, why do boarders slide half way down a run then sit down in the middle of the piste? Come on Pam, you're the rules expert?
latest report
tbf it's not just snowboarders who decide the best place to stop is piste central. Just back from Les Arcs and it seemed to be a habit of the French skiers to stop just over the lip of any rise on the piste, dead centre, so that you could merrily crash into them as you topped the rise being unable to see them prior to that. Come to think of it, there were some snowboarders mixed in .....

The reason why snowboarders halt mid-piste is that they operate as a hive mind, not individually having enough brain cells to act independently when in the juvenile condition (same reason for why they have to strap their feet together in the first place as independent operation is difficult c.f. for further evidence, any juvenile snowboarder attempting to walk in a straight line) When they get too strung out on the piste, the hive mind breaks down and the default mode is an immediate stop to re-group - hence the mid-piste huddle.

You may also have seen them using primitive tools to build hive mounds by the side of pistes. Some theories have been put forward that a vestigial part of their brain remembers a time when the species could fly and the mounds are an instinctive attempt to enable short flights. This was theory was later downplayed when observation of the extreme number of crashes that occurred led to the conclusion that natural selection would have removed an 'instinct' long ago. The current theory is that the snowboarder is evolving. Having been hit so many times whilst mid-piste it is postulated that some slightly brighter 'boarder hive mind worked out that off-piste was safer and the mounds they build are an extension of that safety factor and a reminder of the mounds they used to hide behind on piste. The crashing activity is believed to be part practical - to firm up the barrier- and part ritual - to cement the hive mind. Theorists postulating this interpretation have pointed out the ritual humiliation that is meted out by the rest of the hive to any juvenile snowboarder who crashes after having been ritually tormented to attempt flight in the first place. Alas, at this point all is conjecture and nothing proven - apart from the juvenile hive mind, that is universally agreed to be fact.
snow report
Ratty, you're a 1950 person aren't u? I've just come back from there too (if u are), and I thought boarder numbers had decreased. Was I dreaming?
snow report
Don Keebles wrote:
Like eddie alluded to, it doesn't matter if they're stationary or not, the skiier/boarder will be at fault. But if u all go back to the original post, and not keep going off topic to support your own agenda, why do boarders slide half way down a run then sit down in the middle of the piste? Come on Pam, you're the rules expert?

urrrrrgh no, the only thing I alluded to is that your wrong and it doesn't matter where someone stops (with the one exception I mentioned), if you go into them its your fault......

And if you want to go back to the original post, they don't, at least no more than skiers go down and stop half way down in the middle of a piste. I'm going to assume for my own sanity that you understand why snowboarders sit or kneel more than skiers, and illuminate that from the discussion.
ski holidays
Speak English for Christ's sake Eddie. U try to make a point but can't even spell. Illuminate??? And as for misunderstanding, Ill repeat myself for the hard of thinking. When I said the skiier/boarder will always be at fault, I did not mean the stationary ones ffs. It's not difficult is it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy