Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from Canazei and our first ski holiday in the Sella Ronda, definitely not our last. We camped here a couple of summers ago and walked in the mountains but I really cannot decide when it was more breath taking.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I will be heading ot that way Jan 14th to Val Gardena. Last year i stayed in Arabba and the year before that in Corvara. Looking at the snow reports its looking very good at the moment, 65 lower - 100cm upper slopes of powder.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surfski, despite my wimping out (see another thread) it really is one of the most picturesque places I have ever been. The rest of the crew are unanimous about making a return trip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Off to Arabba on Thursday and concentration at work is suffering for it. Just need one last snow top up on Wednesday.
Even the argument I'm going to have with slush and rubble on Monday won't dampen my spirits - they sent my new boots off to Rossignol and didn't tell me they wouldn't be back in time!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rich, Where are you staying in Arabba? I stayed in Hotel Evaldo last year and it was really good. It made up for being so quiet in the village.
http://www.hotelevaldo.it/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
surfski, doing B&B at the Garni Royal which from the address should be almost next door to the Hotel Evaldo, did you hear anything about it? We're there for a long weekend, fly back very late Sunday so we'll get 3 full days.

Any recommendations on bars and restaurants would be appreciated.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rich, Is this a DIY trip or an 'arranged' one?

You can count the bars in Arabba on one hand or could when I was last there. The main one is the Stube which is part of the Hotel Porta Vescova ( SP? ).

Great place for a short break, I love it there and would intrested to know who you arranged it with.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CP, Its a DIY job,

Cheap flights to treviso (£45 I think), + Google for hotels and blanket e-mail (40euro/night) + Hire 2 cars for seven people.

Jobs a goodun
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a great time!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rich, I'm thinking of doing exactly that (even staying at the Royal!) later in the season - interested to hear how you get on. Have a good one!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rich, Sounds good, it's going to be a 2 to 2/12 drive from Treviso IIRC. Have a great time and do report back, if you get a chance try the hidden valley at Falzerego. You may already know, so apologies, but there have been quite a lot of postings on the Dolomites, Arabba, Selva etc in this forum that you may like to search for.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

if you get a chance try the hidden valley at Falzerego. What is this about, I'm intrigued?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll definitely post a report when we get back. We were hoping to do the drive in 2 hours or less, maybe a bit optimistic but we'll have a Greek driver at point so there won't be much dawdling.

This will be our first time in the region, on paper it looks time a top weekend destination. I was keeping tabs on the previous threads. We'll try for the hidden valley assuming it isn't too well hidden Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CP wrote:
rich, Sounds good, it's going to be a 2 to 2/12 drive from Treviso IIRC. Have a great time and do report back, if you get a chance try the hidden valley at Falzerego. You may already know, so apologies, but there have been quite a lot of postings on the Dolomites, Arabba, Selva etc in this forum that you may like to search for.

I have been down the Laguzuoi ‘s 9km “Hidden Valley” red run descend twice to Armentarola which connects into the Alta Badia & Sella Ronda for a fantastic range of scenic and varied pistes. Its got the best scenery around. Look at my profile in my signature.
To find it just get to the top of Passo Falzarego.
A tip is to go as fast as you can on the last bit otherwise you have a very long flat section with alot of polling. You then get a horse-drawn "drag" sleigh back to San Cassiano.

Here is all about it http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/cortina/newlaga/inverno/piste.html
http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/cortina/newlaga/inverno/grandeguerra.html
http://www.webpro.co.za/clients/ski/pg-selva.htm#Armentarola
And here is a map
http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/cortina/newlaga/inverno/mappapiste.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rich, Yes i heard it was good and walked pass there everynight. snowHead

http://www.hotel.garniroyal.com/

CP, is very right about the bars. Sad
snow report
Text taken from a post I put into a skiing newsgroup many moons ago before snowHead 's came on the scene.

Falzarego or Lagazuoi.

For directions you've got it!!. The taxi or coach ( bus ) will deposit you
at the cable car station, it is the middle of nowhere so don't worry about
taking the wrong lift. last time I skied there the taxi/coach fare was
L3,000, it may have gone up and may be variable depending of number of
punters.

From the top of the cable car it does not matter which red route you take
( don't take the black that returns straight back from where you have just
come ) as they all end in the final one way down. Take your time as the
scenery is truely magnificent.

If you are aiming to stop for lunch or a drink there is a fairly large
rustic bar/restaurant called Scotoni just over half way down.

Just after Scotoni's you will see the frozen water falls, which are a
feature of the trip. From there on down it gets flatter and flatter until
just before Armentarola where there will be an interesting selection of
towing equipment ( usually horses with ropes )or skidoos to take you along
the final flat section. This treat cost L2,000 if I remember correctly.

An absolute must for you to do when you arrive is to get the local area map
( the piste maps are not great ) called Sellaronda E Valli Ladine Carta
Sciistica, cost was L7,000 from Tobacconists/Gift shops.
latest report
rich, I had a 7 hour delay getting out of Treviso once. It was being used as an overflow airport because Venice was fog bound - Useless information I know Confused

Who are yuo flying with BTW?
ski holidays
Two years ago I skied the Lagazuoi/Hidden Valley and managed to completely miss the waterfalls! Maybe they'd melted by early March!
snow conditions
tessaventer, Missed the frozen waterfalls!! did you lunch a bit too well at Scotoni's Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
How can you not miss them on left hand side after Scotoni's Shocked They are big and wide enough!! Twisted Evil

Just look at my gallery for photo's.
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/1785/cat/500/ppuser/473/sl/s

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 10-01-06 12:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Great photos surfski, just how I remember the scenery, absolutely stunning. My favourite was the horsedrawn tow (now E2 CP)
snow report
tessaventer, Thanks. Very Happy I think i will go down it again next week as its the best run around and plus i like the scenery so much. I will take more photo's for sure. I also like the horse drawn tow at the bottom. Sadly though it can smell badly behind the horses at times but its still fun.

For some usefull help, i have scanned the info on the Tour.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/1806/cat/500/ppuser/473
ski holidays
Don't forget to post those photos. It says I don't have permission to view the photos on the weblink!
ski holidays
Try these links. http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/1806/limit/recent
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/1807/limit/recent

If that fails, you have to join snowmediazone.com and be a user to view the photo's
ski holidays
surfski, just register like you have for this forum using the same username and password, unnless you want a different one but most people stay the same. snowHead
snow conditions
We did the Treviso/Arabba trip last weekend. The transfer took 2 1/2 hours on the way out, our route wasn't the best, we got it down to just over 2 on the way back not including a Pizza stop.

The return flight time 10:45pm gives a full days skiing on Sunday and time to get a meal en route while cruising to the airport, the down side is that I got home at 2am after dropping people off. Monday wasn't the most productive day Ive known.

I don't think we had a single negative comment about the place all weekend, the efficient lift system and lack of queues compared to the Fench mega resorts was a revelation.

Dave Burt, the Garni Royal is very nice and either quite new or recently refurbished, rooms, boot/ski room and front door all opened by the same key card. no complaints. Its at the bottom end of the town so a longer walk (10 minutes) to the lifts than some.

Definitely on our list to go back to - top place Very Happy
snow conditions
rich, unfortunately the Royal didn't have any availability for the weekend I'm going (first weekend of half term), so we've had to make do with a cheaper place called the Pensione Sport.

Any tips on the best driving route from Treviso?
latest report
Dave Burt, To be honest we screwed up on the way out. The first bit is easy, out of airport and follow signs for Treviso Sud and pick up signs for Autostrada A27 and head north. There seem to be 2 options when it comes to getting off the A27. Either turn off at Belluno and go north through Agordo, this is the way we came back, or stay on the A27 to the end where it becomes SS51 and turn off at Longarone, this is the way we had planned to go but we missed the turn.

I think the second route is probably the best, maybe some more seasoned travellers in the area ccan comment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan wrote:
surfski, just register like you have for this forum using the same username and password, unnless you want a different one but most people stay the same. snowHead

Yes i have already, thats how i have put my photo's on there. My username is the same on there also.
snow conditions
An Italian colleague - who gave up his career as a ski instructor to join us(mad!) - emailed me some photos from his home town - the altitude is about 300m and about an hour from Cortina. His father measured 80cms of new snow in his garden on Friday.

snow report
Going green Going green Going green nothing else to say really!
snow report
Just got back from arabba (well Saturday). Snow started on Thursday night. Plenty to go around as they say.

Had a great time. Bars very quite though.

Stayed in the sport hotel. Great place. Highly recommended.
snow report
Kit Wong, great photos, Kit!.
snow conditions
rich, thanks for that - I'll see what viamichelin.com has to say, but chances are I'll get lost too!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy