Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Does anyone know what the narrowest ski that the Salomon STH2 13 binding can be mounted on?

Also can anyone explain the differences in the toe piece of the STH2 and the Warden binding?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The STH2 has a 71mm wide base plate so depending so it's go on a ski not much wider if it had a fairly upright sidewall, however the minimum brake width offered is 90mm. The brakes do 'cam-in' a bit to ensure no overhang at the elbow I'd say low'ish 80mm's underfoot would be about as narrow as you could go.

The STH2 has the WTR toe (Walk To Ride) so even though it has a manual toe height adjustment it's range will only accommodate regular alpine soles & WTR soles but not the thicker/full rockered vibram soles of AT boots. It also has a fixed AFD so it wouldn't be din compliant even if you managed to get an AT boot in it (say by grinding down the sole).

The Warden has sufficient toe height adjustment to accommodate alpine soles, WTR soles & the full rockered vibram soles of AT boots. Plus it has a sliding AFD to be din compliant with the AT soles.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So would boots like the Salomon Quest, Lange XT and Technica Cochise work with the STH or would it be better to get the warden?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Those three boots all have either regular alpine soles which can be swapped for WTR soles so will work with the STH2. You'd only benefit from the Warden would be if you planned to switch to a full AT boot in the future.

The obvious question to me is having purchased boots that take a WTR sole & have a skinning/hiking mode then why aren't you getting an alpine/touring binding (ie The Marker Tour or Salomon Guardian)?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am getting the Guardian for a wider ski, this is for a dedicated in bounds ski for those days where there isn't enough snow to go off piste. So having a a binding that will work with the same boot is the idea. Not looking to get a full touring set up, just having a ski that I can go off for short tours from the top of a lift or a half day tour. hope that makes sense
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fairy nuff.

If you get the latest 14/15 Guardian it has a full height AT range toe off the Warden so matching it with a Warden would make sense. But if you get the earlier Guardian WTR model then that has the STH2 toe so you might as well get the STH2 to match. I've got one pair of 13/14 small size Guardian 13 WTR's with 100mm brakes left which are going at a bargain price wink

Or just use Quiver Killer inserts & share the Guardian across both skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @spyderjon, just a quick note, you can get 80mm brakes to order (not in the catologue).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, I've looked at the quiver killers. I get the idea behind it. How often to you have to re tighten the screws if they are left on for any length of time, and how durable are they?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dr_windsurfer, the A2 grade stainless no.2 pozi M5 screws that I supply for use with the Quiver Killers are very durable if you use a decent driver bit & don't over torque them. You use them screws in conjunction with VC3 threadlock (definitely not Loctite as it knackers binding plastic) & they'll usually need just a little nip up every few days of use.

The big problem with the Guardian when using QK inserts is that to remove the bindings you need to unscrew the axle/pivot pin under the toe binding to access the front two mounting screws - for this reason the Marker F12 is a waaaay better option. However I've seen quite a few breakages of the front pivot/base plate on Guardians so maybe removing it every few days & inspecting it isn't a bad thing wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, I'm not the only one that breaks Guardians then!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy