Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the actual cost of driving to the alps?

Poster: A snowHead
You can ski outside of France and avoid peage charges... We've driven to Austria for the past six years at Easter.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hammerite, with my VW, fully synthetic oil, 50% concentration antifreeze, and neat good quality screen wash. I also silicon grease all the rubber door seals. If it's very cold ie less than -20c then you need to be careful which diesel you use. If you're not using it for a week turn it over every couple of days. Be careful where you park, slithering cars and snow ploughs can cause much damage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jbob, I followed the advice to silicone the door seals too the first time we drove as it seemed to make sense. We regretted it for the rest of the time we had the car as it made the seals squeak every time it went over a bump, it seemed to put a shiny surface on the rubber which was impossible to remove. The day-to-day nuisance factor far out-weighed the possibility of the door seals sticking.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marginal costs of our recent trip from Warrington to Chamonix and back for 3 adults:

European recovery: £0.00
European and driver insurance: £56.10
2 x Dartford Crossing: £5.00
2 x DFDS ferry: £98.00
2 x F1 hotel: £52.11
Diesel: £129.31
Peage: £106.26

Total: £446.78 (or £148.93 each)

Plus nearly 2000 miles wear on Mrs A's car and a new windscreen if the crack incurred on the way home can't be repaired.

Top Tip: Plan your fuel stops using:
http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
However, working out stops that are near your route can be time consuming. If you're going to/from Dunkirk the the E.Leclerc at Bailleul is very convenient. Also be aware that prices in France tend to fluctuate often.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After driving few times from Yorkshire, I think it' only make sense if you got 4 passengers and at least 2 of them able to drive.
This season I used jet2 from Leeds, 200 pounds return including checkin bag and ski bag.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Top Tip: Plan your fuel stops using: http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
However, working out stops that are near your route can be time consuming.

Or just rely on the fact that just like the UK the supermarkets in France are MUCH cheaper than on the motorway. Our regular stops are:
- Leclerc St Brice, Reims, a mile off A26 J16 - the short toll-free section.
- Chamnord, Chambery
And then in the mountains, the Super-U in Salins-les-Thermes (just S of Moutiers) or in Bourg St Maurice - depending on where we are heading.

On the return journey, if we have time, then a final fill-up at Auchan in Calais, which whilst v.close to the tunnel terminal is IMO quite awkward to get to.

(edited to correct to Reims, not Rouen!)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 23-04-15 13:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RobW, do you mean Leclerc Reims? Rouen is not on my route from Calais to the Alps! Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@altis,

Quote:

2 x Dartford Crossing: £5.00

Why?

@ed48, I assume you have also included the transfer from the airport to the resort and the cost of getting to Leeds airport in this £200 figure
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jd_evans, I use an aerosol that delivers a fine layer and redo it once a week.
Problem is if you have a warm wet day followed by a cold night it can be impossible to get into the car, plus it's easy to damage the seals trying to open the door.

My marginal costs Bham to cham were aprox

Insurance £0
Tunnel using a multi trip ticket. £100
Diesel. £130 ish
Peage £110
B+B. £100
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowymum, Yes, of course Reims. I've fixed it....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
Why?

'cos it's a good deal shorter and quicker than avoiding it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2 JohnE
Not really, it depends where you live, for me it's 5 quid by the bus. Yes with the transfer it be about 100 quid more. I guess pros and cons depends on different variables. Last year I had car breakdown which costed me about 1K eur for hotel and repairs. How many thousands of people stuck last year Xmas on the motorway near Chambery or in general if you get into the storm, a lot of chances to be stuck for at least few hours at the final climb to the resort.
Last season Ive been trying to get for the snow, so I know that there will be bad Road conditions, so I was trying to avoid roads as much as I could, and small airport airports as well. So I end up flying to Geneva and taking train right to resort (portes du solei), it costed about 270 including transfer, with bonus of relaxed reading a book or sleeping for about 5 hours.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@altis, Sorry, I thought your location said Warrington. My mistake
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is getting away from the OP, but there seems to be a bit of mission creep, so I thought I would add my own experience.

I've been driving out to the Alps and Pyrenees for some 30 years now. We (just 2 of us) used to rent for the season (cheaper than paying for individual weeks), but now own a small hovel. Living in Glasgow, we drive out via Hull-Zeebrugge which saves any need to stop further en route. It also means there is little concern with leaving a car fully stocked with kit and (all the non-perishable food for future trips that season) over night outside a hotel. We have a French doofer, I'm not sure it is good value, but it does give you a warm feeling inside.

Having stocked up with wine, olive oil etc we come back via Calais, as there is a risk of being late for the one ferry a day from Zeebrugge. Perhaps foolishly we then complete the 1150 mile journey in the same 24 period. Sometimes we have to stop for a little shut eye, but half the time we can do it non-stop particularly if the weather is good. Unload the car (typically 6:30 in the morning), bed then work the next day.

Having dumped our stuff in the apartment, we are free to use Mr Easyjet for subsequent trips that season!

I've had to use chains 4 times in all those years and 2 of those were to get out of car parks.

Talking books are a boon - I find I-spy can loose its gloss on a 12 hour stint.

One small top tip a la Viz, if you are travelling for the festive season. A turkey or similar bought frozen in the UK and placed in a cool bag just before getting on the ferry is nicely thawed by the time you arrive in resort!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski lots wrote:
Talking books are a boon

I like Radio 4 podcasts on long journeys. Download, import to iTunes, sync to iPod. In the car, play-back through an iPod-enabled radio.
snow report
Just done drive from Scotland to La Plagne. Total travel cost for 9 of us (including rental of a 9 seater minivan) was c£200pp. Obviously hiring the van added to the cost, but then we only had to pay for one vehicle's fuel/tolls/tunnel. Real advantages we found were 1) able to take all our own skis with no carriage fees (easyjet is exhorbitant!), 2) shopped in large supermarket in Moutiers so huge saving on resort prices 3) took meals for the first 2 nights frozen in a cool box as well as lots of other cooking/baking 4) got extra days skiing at beginning and end of holiday. Not sure we'll fly again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy