Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just back from Hinterglemm

Poster: A snowHead
The locals said it was the best Christmas snow for 16 years. We had two nights with snowfall and one day when it snowed for most of the day, but still with good visibility, and we had some bluebird days like this:

and this

We enjoyed meeting up with Bev, Chris and Jon Bish, on a day when it was warm enough to sit outside for lunch.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
did you have an evening at the goat bar (goasstal) "the best apres-ski in the world........"?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 2-01-06 0:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RachelQ, oh you are making my mouth water. 7 weeks and 6 days to go for us, and those pictures look superb. Never been to this resort before, and we have booked independently for the 1st time and I organised it all, so hope the snow stays just where it is!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulhothersall, did we!!

Most days we ended up there for apres-ski. It's good fun, and it's also very good for food at lunchtime.

sharon1953, you won't regret it, it's a lovely resort. We went back for a second Christmas because we loved it so much last year. It's very pretty, there's a lot of skiing, with some gorgeous wide pistes, some of them quite steep. You mustn't miss piste 36a down the side of the Sunliner lift. Not many people ski it and it's one long rollcoaster of a run, fast and fun snowHead I hope the snow stays good for you Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RachelQ, I recognise those three PSB'ers Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Linds, not being at the PSB, I recognised them from our last night of the EOSB. We arranged to meet by a chair lift one day last week. It's fun meeting up with other snowHeads on the mountain and skiing with them. We had lunch together twice, and Jon skiied with our group for two days, we had three other teenagers with us, so it was good company for him. He skis very nicely.

We should have had four teenagers with us, but on the first morning my youngest son Josh fell down stairs, went over on his ankle, ripped his ligaments so badly I had to take him to the clinic in Hinterglemm, where they x-rayed him and decided he had a hairline fissure in his ankle bone so plastered him from knee to toe Shocked Poor guy never even got on the slopes all week Crying or Very sad He's a whizz on his crutches though and managed to party very well every night Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RachelQ, To be honest, we picked the resort because 2 of us are nervous skiers, so wanted plenty of gentle blues, but I've heard that piste grading isn't that accurate! So if you know any blue’s that we should avoid, and any reds that are ok, please tell me!! I read somewhere that there is a particular bar in Hinterglemm that everyone congregates at on the way home, is that the one in the picture? Which ones should we look out for?
We are staying in a Hotel called ‘Hinterglemm’, that has it’s own café, on the sunny side of the road, across a bridge, not far from the tunnel exit, anyone know it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, what lovely pictures, thanks RachelQ! We're off to Saalbach week on Saturday and just can't wait, conditions look great! Laughing snowHead

Sorry to hear about Josh's accident Sad Not even one days skiing - I shall tread very carefully Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

our last night of The EOSB

RachelQ, These three keep popping up everywhere Laughing
Not so good about sons ankle Sad
Shall we try and meet up for coffee in-between our various ski trips Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sharon1953 wrote:
RachelQ, To be honest, we picked the resort because 2 of us are nervous skiers, so wanted plenty of gentle blues, but I've heard that piste grading isn't that accurate! So if you know any blue’s that we should avoid, and any reds that are ok, please tell me!! I read somewhere that there is a particular bar in Hinterglemm that everyone congregates at on the way home, is that the one in the picture? Which ones should we look out for?
We are staying in a Hotel called ‘Hinterglemm’, that has it’s own café, on the sunny side of the road, across a bridge, not far from the tunnel exit, anyone know it?

Yes, seems nice hotel. Have stayed in ones on either side, and in apartments just accross the road. (amongst other 3 places around town)

You will be fine, the piste marking is a bit more tricky in some cases than the runs. There seems to be a green or blue option pretty much everywhere in the ski circus. Some of these more indirect ways down the hill are quite narrow near flat runs that you just glide along, and can be easy to miss the entrance.

The Goasstall (as pictured is very good), which is then a short stumble downhill all the way back to your hotel. There is also the VIP bar at the bottom of the pistes, pretty much accross the road from you hotel.

The wolf bar is great for food for an evening out, as is the ribs at the place just next to you hotel. Cheap pizzas (very cheap before 6-7) can be got direct from the kitchen to the left of the Tanzhimmel/london pub (in the middle of town). Little fast food place accross the road (open till late) - called "El Burger". Finally the Hexenhaus is brillant for apres ski, and is located at the bottom of the zwolferkogel lift (more out of town but not far from the hotel),and serves snacks to order all night, including breakfast if you are still going strong!

Supermarkets (both of them) are pretty much accross the street from your hotel.

Challange for you. ski from the mid station of the zwolfkogel lift back to the bottom lift station in under a minute. (I promise it can be done - although my best time is only 60.48secs)

Just to the left of the zwolfkogel lift station (looking up) is the Hotel Gungau. The nicest friendliest people in the word run it, and they have the best/cheap midday food menu on the mountain. (say hi from me if you go in).

If you have any problems in resort, contact Manuela Deutschmann at the tourist office. She is miss "fix-it". alternativly if you turn left out of you hotel (before the bridge) and walkup the side road, to alittle path in front of a hotel at the top before it goes back down a road again (I forget the name but it only 100m), then Wolfgang Breitruss has that place. Nice hotel bar, and he is the Resort Director for the tourist office.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sharon1953, I can't think of any blues you should avoid. It's a very confidence building place to ski, because most of the runs are very wide and well pisted, so even if some of the blues are a bit steeper than you'd expect, the wideness of them gives you lots of room to ski them gently. Two lovely blue runs are 22 from the top of the Hochalmbahn gondola all the way to the bottom, then you can go up the other gondola which goes up the other side of the valley and ski blue 11 and 11a right the way down the other side, and piste 46 from the top of the Bernkogel right down into Saalbach. And you musn't miss the 7 km run 2a and 2b which is from the top of the Schattberg X-Press. The very last bit right down into Vorderglemm is a little bit steep and moguly, but very wide and not really hard.

The lift infrastructure is excellent, with lots of gondolas and fast six-man chairs, some of them with heated seats (bliss) and hoods for when it's very cold or snowing. There are a few t-bars, but they're not difficult.

paulhothersall, has given you lots of good info, I'd second his recommendation of the Hexenhaus although we didn't go there for apres ski but much later at night - it's full of witches and wizards and has got a pole for dancing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

We should have had four teenagers with us, but on the first morning my youngest son Josh fell down stairs, went over on his ankle, ripped his ligaments so badly I had to take him to the clinic in Hinterglemm, where they x-rayed him and decided he had a hairline fissure in his ankle bone so plastered him from knee to toe Poor guy never even got on the slopes all week He's a whizz on his crutches though and managed to party very well every night

Nightmare! My commiserations Sad .

At the moment I am two weeks away from being in Chamonix and I am walking on eggshells everywhere I go. I think skiers and snowboarders less than two weeks from the slopes are the most safety concious people on the planet Laughing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you so much snowheads for all this info, I have printed it off and it's now in my "must take with" folder! Just got a snow alert from snowforecast.com and it's coming down in bucketfuls this week. I'm so looking forward to the 25th Feb, even more so this year, as our two adult sons are joining us for the 2nd time in 3 years (they didn't make it last year due to lack of funds!) so apre ski will be very much on the agenda.
RachelQ, so sorry about Josh's ankle, but glad to hear it didn't stunt his night life!
Civilserpent, I know the feeling, my hubby doesn't even sweep the path outside incase he "puts his back out", for at least 3 weeks before we go....or is that just an excuse!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just emerged and can verify everything Rachel has said. It is a magnificent resort, but I think particularly for the less than intrepid, like me. There is nothing really steep if you stick to reds and blues. I can't tell you anything about the blacks! You can certainly get around the resort on superb, wide tree-lined runs with, at present, some of the best snow I have ever skied on. Also a very lively and friendly place and, if you are used to 3Vs, seems quite cheap. (But then, where doesn't compared to 3Vs!)

Jon was very appreciative of the chance to ski with Rachel's party as they are more his pace and style than us old fogies. We had a few problems of our own that week, and it was great for Jon to be off enjoying himself. Thanks to you all.

Anyone going to Saalbach Hinterglemm in the near future, enjoy!

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh, can't wait...off on the 14th Jan to Saalbach.
ski holidays
RachelQ,

rach, Tell Josh he needs to start drinking after the days skiing, he is not yet talented enough to drink in the morning, he needs to leave that to John and I. I am sure he used the leg in plaster to his advantage during the evenings activities, it worked when I dislocated my shoulder in Chamonix. wink wink
snow report
dbiggins, tell him yourself, he doesn't listen to me rolling eyes

Apparently he looks like a pop star called Bill from a German band called Tokyo Hotel so everywhere he went in the evenings he had people coming up to him and asking him if he was Bill, and sometimes taking his photo, oh, and buying him free drinks Very Happy
snow report
RachelQ, My son says "more pictures please"!!!
ski holidays
RachelQ wrote:
dbiggins, tell him yourself, he doesn't listen to me rolling eyes

Apparently he looks like a pop star called Bill from a German band called Tokyo Hotel so everywhere he went in the evenings he had people coming up to him and asking him if he was Bill, and sometimes taking his photo, oh, and buying him free drinks Very Happy

I will when I am over in the UK later this month, I found a picture of Bill

http://www.toolia2.de/user/tokio-hotel/

he is the kid in the front
snow conditions
sharon1953, what, like this? We were about the fifth people down this lovely corduroy at about 9.30 in the morning snowHead
ski holidays
Louis wrote:

say hi to the 1000 strong RAF that are out there for me.
ski holidays
RachelQ, thats stunning! There is a media section here somewhere (can't see how I found it before) for photo albums, you should put them all on there so we can see them all!! I never get to the slopes that early, like to take my time over breakfast and let the early morning rush for lifts die down - plus it's a long day and we aren't in our first flush of youth!
latest report
paulhothersall wrote:
Louis wrote:

say hi to the 1000 strong RAF that are out there for me.

Shocked Shocked oooh goody, I think! Are they all strong? Shame Mr C will be with me then wink
Might see you around that week then Louis!
snow report
Can confirm all that has already been said, this is a wonderful ski area - I loved the heated seats on the sixer chair lifts. The runs off them were so nice too (as well as being a real treat for the nether regions!) Hopefully Chris will manage to post some of our pictures onto the media zone for people to see. Thanks again to RachelQ and her gang for giving Jon two wonderful days out with people who can ski "hard and fast" - those who have skied with Chris and I will be aware of the difference. snowHead
snow conditions
Cathy Coins, Always nice to meet up with other snowheads, me and the other-half will keep an eye out. Hope the good conditions will last till then.
latest report
They better last right through from the 25th Feb to 4th March!!!
latest report
There is a snow-base of over a metre and that will be plenty. The locals are saying that they might be able to hold on until April. Being runs over grass-land and not rock, they only need a thinnish covering. The downside would be that if they get a warm spell and it rains low down then it will be icy.

Either way there will be plenty of good snow up high. It is a smashing resort, and probably very much under-rated. Ideal for middle to upper intermediates as there is very little to surprise you in terms of steeps. And boy are there some classic piste runs.

I am very much a piste-only skier and love a long sweepy blue. 46 down to the town is just excellent and the famous 2a and 2b (known as the 7k because it is 7km long) is a delight and quite steep too to my eyes. None of the reds I came across were any worry for steepness. Tree-lined runs and wide open spaces. Heavenly. And plenty of good reasonably-priced eateries. Toilets everywhere. Heated lift-stations. A very well-appointed resort. I know I'm talking soft-core here, but hey, I'm an old and incompetent skier. And I bet there are a few other snowHeads like me too! snowHead snowHead
latest report
Just put a few pictures on the mediazone. Mostly of beer drinking but there is one of Bev on the 7K. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, Old and incompetent here too !!! I'm so looking forward to this resort now that I can't sleep! Very Happy
latest report
sharon1953, where are you flying from on your diy and who with? is it better to go diy that agent, i must admit we were thinking of going to banff for two weeks but something has come up with work which means a week in europe only! we were going to go back to wengen but i really like the sound of this place.
snow report
RachelQ, Chris Bish, glad you had a fantastic time. We're off for our second trip to Saalbach the same week as Sharon and are really looking forward to it. Chris Bish, I'm especially glad you enjoyed it as you took a break from your trusted Kitzbuhel to try something new. Loved the photos and I've just got back from a week in Bad Gastein having experienced the best skiing conditions ever so I'm really looking forward to getting back on the snow in Saalbach!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy