Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

need any advice on choosing my new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster...be gentle with me!

Am looking for some skis to replace my Elan Zen masters from '08.

I am after something wider than the 92 underfoot the elans have, with a bit more float in pow, as I am pushing further away from the boundaries more of the time in terms of where I ski, but I cannot afford specific powder skis and groomer skis, so something capable of some fast skiing on piste too.

I had 2 days at Tignes on the BC Camox (13/14 model) in February this year and loved them. Made me realise my 'all mountaiN' elans really weren't. The width underfoot is only 4mm more, but the tip rocker and wider nose was a revelation to me, wish I'd had them for my season at whitewater in 08!

The only moment I felt they impressed less was when I was flying fast down groomers. The tips were flapping a goodun'! Maybe there is no way around it at speed with this type of ski, and it is something I will just have to get used to.

I had pretty much plumped for them, until I had a look at the rest of the range, and the Navis looks interesting too. A buddy has the navis freebirds and says for him they are too heavy to tour, but they are another 5mm underfoot and slightly stiffer than the camox.

Does anyone have any advice or insight having tested them both? I don't do enough touring to worry about getting the freebirds, but maybe the Navis normal would suit me better? In my mind, the extra width should offset the extra stiffness, making them less flappy on piste while still floating with ease in pow, or am I way off Mark there?

my mate also suggested getting the atris and keeping the elans for piste (which I.Will do anyway for bad snow/rocks etc) but having never skied a double rocker before, I am not keen without testing.

I am 182cm tall, and 80kg, and ski fairly aggressively mainly off piste when snow allows. On piste I tend to ski fast, carving wide turns. Off piste I have a habit I am in the process of breaking where I sit slightly more back than I should, but that is due to having skis too stiff and narrow, and constantly sinking my tips. The 2 days on the camox had seen me shift it forward with the confidence of having a rocker tip, so that, for me, is not a reason to keep away from a stiff tail, as I am actively working on it.

What I guess I am after in terms of advice, is to know if I am Thinking along the right lines that the extra stiffness will help keep them steady when skiing fast on hardpack while the tip rocker and extra width will keep me up in the pow. On paper the side cut and camber of the two skis seems very similar, just the stiffness and width are different.

Does anyone have experience of skiing both skis? What are the community's thoughts?

I have struggled to find flex profiles of the skis, especially the 2015 navis, as it seems they keep changing the camber profileyear after year, so if anyone can help an indecisive guy choose the right pair, I would appreciate it!
Thanks guys.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@OCTAF1SH, IMO if going for a one ski quiver there will always be a compromise to be made. I'm a fan of the Volkl Mantra, apparently the newer versions have been softened a little to be a bit more flattering off piste. They're quite impressive on piste, loads of grip.

I'd spend your hard earned on some nice off piste skis and pick up some second hand piste ski of which there are many. You're then got the bases covered to a broad range of conditions. Just my 2p anyhow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take a look at reviews of the Liberty Helix. Blistergearreview has a good one. 104mm underfoot. I have the girly version-same dimensions. They have become my daily ski this season, and I have thoroughly enjoyed them on and off piste. Last season I tested the Helixs first in 176cm, and was utterly smitten, and completely gobsmacked at how good they were on piste, carving long with turns with ease, before heading into powder and enjoying them even more. I need up on the 167s, mainly as I wanted something a bit nippier for tight spots. I'm no expert on fat skis, but for me they combine the right level of stiffness and ease of use.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi guys, and thanks for your quick responses!

@Bene, I totally agree with you Re. the one ski quiver and compromises. Hence why I will be keeping the elans for groomer days for another season. Buying 2nd hand is definitely a possibility too for them when the time comes, but for now the elans will do for those days. I am just after something that won't be too bad for the hard stuff while getting around...maybe you are right about going more pow oriented this time round as I am relatively happy with the elans on piste...will have a think about that!

@Perty, thanks also for the recommendation. I've not come across the helixes before and they sound a great deal of what I'm after. I'll check out a few reviews as you suggest.

Thanks again guys
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy