Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Defective skis bought online from France - what are my rights?

Poster: A snowHead
Earlier this year I bought a pair of this season's Volkl Mantras online from a retailer based in France. The topsheet of both skis has started to separate at the tails after only a few days' skiing.

In my view the skis are defective and so I have been sold equipment that is not fit for purpose. I have contacted the retailer who in turn contacted Volkl. Apparently I can have a new pair of skis but only if I first send the defective ones over to Volkl in France at my expense. Not only that but I must remove the bindings (I bought the skis and bindings together), and then have them mounted to the new skis, again at my expense.

Perhaps this is a lesson that online bargains from outside the UK aren't always as good as they seem. Any savings I made in the initial purchase will be more then outweighed by the expenses involved in getting a replacement pair.

I had always assumed that there would be some sort of EU protection for scenarios such as this but I have been unable to find anything online.

Certainly Volkl have seen the photos I sent of the skis and have recognised that they should be replaced under warranty. Surely I should be protected against the additional costs involved?

Any advice or suggestions on how to proceed would be very welcome!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@motatapu, talk to the Volkl distributor in UK.....take their advice?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a chance you (and I) take when you buy from abroad to save money, you could try contacting Volkl UK to get their take on it, you may be able to sort it over here, not sure on the legalities re shipping costs, but would've thought you shouldn't be liable for the costs to return them, although getting them to cough up could be another thing.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@motatapu, I suspect you have exactly the same rights you'd have had you been in France, bought them there and brought them back.

I doubt there is any cross border protection, in which case, sounds like what they've told you holds. And if, and I suspect they don't, Völkl don't operate a global warranty, well... I'm afraid it's up to you.

Has to be said that I have heard many bad things about this and recent year's Mantra build quality... Not very good.

Mine are older and bearing up fine, thankfully.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@motatapu, If you paid by credit card, 'Section 75' of the Consumer Credit Act covers defective goods paid for by CC, including online purchases made from a non-UK website for delivery in the UK. See the 'Which' website or just google 'Section 75' for more info.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@motatapu, where's the retailer in France? It may be that a SH could help if it's near where one of us drives to regularly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the very useful advice - much appreciated.

The retailer have made an improved offer: they'll now let me send the skis (with bindings) directly to them. They'll then remove the bindings, forward the skis to Volkl, and mount the bindings on a new pair of Mantras before sending them over to me. On their website it does say that postage for warranty returns is the responsibility of the buyer, so I suppose I can't say I wasn't warned!

@quinton, thanks for the section 75 advice - a great tip. I did use a credit card. Will look into whether this might work better for me.

@under a new name, I've lost count of the number of pairs of skis I have owned (including several pairs of Volkls) and I have never had to return a pair because of build quality issues. Actually I've found this year's Mantra in my view hasn't really lived up to the hype: it's certainly an excellent all round ski and does everything extremely competently, but it lacks spark. I think the older model was better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
motatapu wrote:

The retailer have made an improved offer: they'll now let me send the skis (with bindings) directly to them. They'll then remove the bindings, forward the skis to Volkl, and mount the bindings on a new pair of Mantras before sending them over to me. On their website it does say that postage for warranty returns is the responsibility of the buyer, so I suppose I can't say I wasn't warned!

If that sounds better to you then go for it. But shipping skis+bindings may cost you more that just shipping the skis alone.

When I had a warranty problem with a pair of imported skis (not Volkl), I contacted the nearest dealer to me and took them in. They took a photograph and forwarded it to the UK importer - who agreed to replace them once I'd shown them a purchase receipt. No need to return the skis at all (they'd just chuck them in the skip) and the shop did the binding swap FoC. Excellent service. Unfortunately this happened again so I've now switched brand as although they replaced them without fuss, it meant being without the skis for a few weeks and I can do without the hassle.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Resurrecting an old thread, but my partner has exactly the same situation as original poster, except we have returned Volkl skis (via retailers courier) to retailer In France, who were going to return the skis to to volkl.

We returned the skis in March 2023 (Purchased in Oct 22), and apparently they have been stuck in customs ever since.

Despite chasing up the retailer many times, they do nothing. The retailer now refuses to respond to our messages.

Has anyone had any success going down the section 75 / charge back route in a similar situation?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why not mention the retailer? Sometimes there's nothing quite like a public shaming to get retailers off their butt and into action.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd check the time limits on charge back/ s75 and assuming all the stuff you returned belongs to them, then I'd just get my money back from the bank/ card company and move on. Things go wrong, but there's actually nothing as good as getting your money back and moving on.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have tried the public shaming on trust pilot.... Not worked!

Charge back/s75 definately the way to go I think. Hopefully it doesn't fall down on a technicality / time line
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why shame the retailer? What have they done wrong exactly?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This reminded me of a few years ago, I bought a pair of walking boots same as ones i'd had for 2-3 years when saw them on a sale on a French random website in Nantes somewhere couldn't resist, they had a 42 and a 43 left, just 2 pairs in stock hence the price close out. Kept them as a 42 in cupboard boxed and then about 12 months later decided to give them a go, upon closer inspection when they felt wierd, and covered in mud one day on the hill - one a 42 and the other a 43. Emailed and had some banter, they'd sold their last pair 3-4 months before and presumably no contact from the other happy buyer. Needless to say I tried them a couple more times and could get on with one foot larger than the other, gave them to the local winter homeless charity, hope someone enjoyed them.

My suggestion to the OP is move on, pay the postage/ courier sending back to Volkl in France and put it down to experience.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

This....

Quote:

Despite chasing up the retailer many times, they do nothing. The retailer now refuses to respond to our messages.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
... My suggestion to the OP is move on, pay the postage/ courier sending back to Volkl in France and put it down to experience.
The eight year old ones, or the ones already stuck in customs? wink
snow report
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

This....

Quote:

I think they replied politely explaining their position clearly. Perhaps we need to balance our expectations with reality.
ski holidays
Reality is that a product was purchased in good faith which was faulty and duly returned. The return was done in adherence with the retailers return process.

To then be unwilling to communicate with their customer is just wrong. There's absolutely nothing polite about dragging this out for over 7 months, with no end in sight.

Judging by the comments on their trustpilot this doesn't seem to be an isolated incident for uk customers. Just thought I'd ask on here if anyone had had some success with the charge back / s75, when the retailer can't move the product through customs (when it's their own courrier / paperwork etc)

I
snow report
I know I'll get shot down for this but for the extra few quid why don't people just buy
from a UK bricks and mortar business???
Then if you have issues....you can walk back in the door and speak to someone! Who knew that if you buy from a person rather than a website you'd get better customer service???
If rock bottom price is the most important thing to you then expect rock bottom customer service....
#supportlocal
And ..... why contact the UK importer?? Why would it ever be their problem, your contract is with the retailer that sold you the product and you chose to use a foreign company to save a few quid....
snow conditions
On the nose, spot of common sense, personal accountability. Small business is one thing, Amazon another, all in between slightly grey. Terms and conditions apply. For this reason there are businesses in the UK. It’s a bit like giving the travel agent grief for poor weather on your holidays, no?
snow report
Snow Plow wrote:
Resurrecting an old thread, but my partner has exactly the same situation as original poster, except we have returned Volkl skis (via retailers courier) to retailer In France, who were going to return the skis to to volkl.

We returned the skis in March 2023 (Purchased in Oct 22), and apparently they have been stuck in customs ever since.

Has anyone had any success going down the section 75 / charge back route in a similar situation?

How do you know they are stuck in customs?
If you paid by credit card, then contact them, as it is differnet rules buying on credit compared to S75 - you are probably out of time for S75.
Also you purchased ski’s over 12 months ago, so that may go against you - What proof do you have of postage? You should be contacting the courier for the mess if it is stuck in customs as chances are there is something wrong with the paperwork.

TrustPilot? I dont bother looking companies up. It is a pointless scoring website.
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
On the nose, spot of common sense, personal accountability. Small business is one thing, Amazon another, all in between slightly grey. Terms and conditions apply. For this reason there are businesses in the UK. It’s a bit like giving the travel agent grief for poor weather on your holidays, no?

Absolute rubbish
It is a global market & UK companies have to complete on a global level.
ski holidays
The weather analogy is absolute nonsense. If you openly advertise and sell to UK customers then you have a responsibility to honour that contract. Terms and conditions apply.

I ordered the skis from France, not the wild west!
snow report
Gored wrote:

How do you know they are stuck in customs?
If you paid by credit card, then contact them, as it is differnet rules buying on credit compared to S75 - you are probably out of time for S75.
Also you purchased ski’s over 12 months ago, so that may go against you - What proof do you have of postage? You should be contacting the courier for the mess if it is stuck in customs as chances are there is something wrong with the paperwork.

TrustPilot? I dont bother looking companies up. It is a pointless scoring website.

Thanks for this. The retailer told told us they are stuck in customs. It was the retailer who arranged the return paperwork and their courrier picked up the skis. We just have the return paperwork but the courier will only deal with their client (the retailer).
snow conditions
I've got some magic beans for sale.
ski holidays
Snow Plow wrote:
The weather analogy is absolute nonsense. If you openly advertise and sell to UK customers then you have a responsibility to honour that contract. Terms and conditions apply.

I ordered the skis from France, not the wild west!

What do the Terms and Conditions say about return of faulty goods?
latest report
My son had a problem with atomic mavericks with Eu retailer. Wasn’t required to return ut he had to drill holes and send a photo. It’s a very neat hole Eh oh!
snow report
Thanks for the helpful replies re chargeback / section 75.

Whilst we didn't initiate the process with our credit card provider, the mere mention of it and the skis have miraculously turned up at the retailer!

Pure coincidence no doubt Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
motatapu wrote:
Earlier this year I bought a pair of this season's Volkl Mantras online from a retailer based in France. The topsheet of both skis has started to separate at the tails after only a few days' skiing.

Interesting I had exactly the same problem with some Scott Pure Mission 98TI skis. The tails of the skis started delaminating after only two days skiing. In the end Ellis Bringham/Scott replaced them free of charge but not after first saying I must have done something. Problem was once they started delaminating they would catch all the time and the damage got much worse as the week wore on so by the time I got back to the UK they were in a very bad state. To be honest I am thinking of getting some brass sheet and doing some panel beating to make a cap for the tails of the skis that I can glue on. The skis were great but I have lost confidence in their construction.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy