Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

car hire insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Browsing through various car hire topics, getting your own car hire insurance to cover the excess has been mentioned. Now, I'm thinking I'll get an annual policy to cover ski hols and summer hols (which should also be ski holidays, but that's something else).

My question is, if you have it, who do you use and why? Price, coverage and quality?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HeidiAmsterdam,

For the past few years we have taken an annual policy with

Www.worldwideinsure.com

We researched it all at the time and they seemed to fit the bill well. From memory it's about £45.00 a year and given the number of trips we do we save money by having this policy and not taking the excess insurance offered by the car hire companies each trip.
Haven't had to claim yet. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used https://www.carhireexcess.com/ for my last trip. I had to claim after I stupidly didn't get the hire company to check the car before I left and got slapped with a 700 euro bill for supposed damage.

The insurance company paid in full very quickly once I filled in the claim forms - I was very impressed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use www.insurance4carhire.com. Chosen on basis of cost. Not had to claim yet Happy but much cheaper than using hire company's top up insurance.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wondered about that, as the Car Hire company charges seem outrageous. On balance I decided to self-insure though - the idea of having to insure myself against their fraud (them trying to blame me for damage I did not cause) seemed beyond the pale. The chances of me damaging a car, or a third party doing that, seem slim from my own experience, so that risk I can take.

I just photograph the vehicles before and after and get on with it, and I know some very expensive lawyers so I'll be a hard target should the car hire guys fancy a shot.

Personally I'd actually rather hire a beat up car as I hardly care what the thing looks like if it's a hire car.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, you might feel differently if you'd had the same experience as us a few years ago in Mexico. The windscreen of a brand new and huge car (they'd upgraded us) was smashed on the way to the airport going home when a big bird flew into it, nothing we could have done to avoid it. Cost was £800 (yes, I know it wasn't really, but you can't argue about what they decide to charge you). All settled promptly by carhireexcess.com. Without that insurance it would have been a fairly unhappy flight home!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, I would argue that I could replace it for significantly less, and I think I would win. Worst case, I'd offset that £800 against the insurance premiums I've saved.

Windscreen damage is quite common on rentals in places with snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've used https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/ for the past few years, £40 annual policy for Europe (slightly more if you want to cover worldwide). I had to claim once for a windscreen and all sorted with the minimum amount of fuss, so would definitely recommend.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@philwig, it's not a case of winning an argument, the piece of paper you would have signed on pickup would have said that they set the replacement price, and I certainly wouldn't have risked missing my flight arguing.

At about £50 per annum for unlimited rentals, I'd have had to have no other claims in 16 years for it to have made sense to self-insure. And given that in many countries under-car damage, tyre-damage and glass damage is excluded entirely from insurance, I know that I am significantly better off having taken top up insurance. Plus I never have to worry about arguing the toss on whether something is or isn't my fault, which is worth a significant amount to me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had tyre damage to a rental car (ordinary sort of pot hole with nasty edge, car had to take the edge of the road to avoid on-coming ski bus on a road with only a narrow part snow-ploughed) and windscreen broken on my own, in recent years . The first incident would have been expensive without excess insurance as it necessitated an expensive tow and two new tyres (stupid bloody thing had no spare wheel Twisted Evil ). Puncture on my own car by contrast - no problem, just changed the wheel.

All told, I'm glad I had the excess insurance and the annual costs are very low.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philwig wrote:
Yes, I would argue that I could replace it for significantly less, and I think I would win. Worst case, I'd offset that £800 against the insurance premiums I've saved.

Windscreen damage is quite common on rentals in places with snow.

It would take 20 years of self insuring to recover the cost. I've nade 2 claims which the insurance will nevet recoup from my premiums. A third claim was paid out but then I got refunded from the car hire company do I repaid the insurance
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use www.insurance4carhire.com on the basis of cost - do it through www.quidco.com and you get about £10 or so cash back
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JohnHSmith, +1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MontriondSkier wrote:
I use www.insurance4carhire.com. Chosen on basis of cost. Not had to claim yet Happy but much cheaper than using hire company's top up insurance.

Ill endorse that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy