Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Belle Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. I've stopped sulking that my ski trip is over and started to think about next year. At the moment it's between Courchevel and Belle Plagne. I've been to Courchevel the last two years and love it but I'm thinking we should maybe have a change. Can anyone share their views on Belle Plagne? I've looked at two reviews, both of which highlight long queues and crowded pistes. Are they really that bad or is it just at peak season?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied in la plague 3 times and courchevel/ la tavnia 4 times it's not even a close call. Courchevel every time for the skiing. I could go to courchevel for 5 years and not rush back to la plagne 😲😲. Ironically the place I'm most likely to go next year is la plagne albeit due to disability ski group that we ski with having a trip there next year. Pisted are much more varied and interesting in courchevel before you even venture further afield. If you want a change try serve chevalier or Alps d huez for resorts in similar price category to la plagne . I doubt that la plague is busier than courchevel at peak season. Certainly off season I've not had problems with lift queues. Lift system is generally better around courchevel than la plagne.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Belle Plagne is, by some way, the nicest of the higher stations in La Plagne but it's still La Plagne which is a bit like somebody plonked Reading half way up a mountain
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cameronphillios2000 Very Happy great view of the council estate in reading below
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends what type of skiing you want to do. La plagne's big problem is the very busy central area and lack of variety in the central pistes. But at the extremes of the system, whether bellecote, champagny, montalbert etc the piste skiing is fantastic. And there's lots of nice off piste too
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in BP this year the week before half-term. Great ski-in, ski-out to the Esprit hotel. There was an issue with queuing in Plagne Bellecote and Plagne Central but nothing too horrendous. However, I did avoid the times when it seemed everyone was finishing lunch to go back on the slopes. The main 'bowl' can be a bit boring but heading further afield yields some great skiing. The biggest issue I found was that some of the lower piste were well scraped quite early in the day and my skis took a hammering on the the way to Montchavin or Champagny.

The added benefit of course is the link to Les Arcs. I only did one day there but would probably do a couple of days if I went back to BP.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gaza, thanks. It's Esprit I'm looking at. Doesn't sound awful. Was it noticeably bad, in comparison to other places?

@Plake, the off-piste is why I'm interested, but that's only a small part of my week. And there's the rest of the group . . .

@dan100, I know. Courchevel is great. And no queues. But I sort of feel that as an adventurist, traveller sort I should try somewhere else. But I'm limited, not only by Esprit, but by where they do their Sprite Advanced.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I rate the piste skiing in paradiski to be far superior to 3v, many more unpisted blacks and itineraries as well as pisted motorways, something for everyone. The food on the mountain is much better value too.
The off piste looked good but either heavy or bullet proof when we were there two weeks ago.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting thread..

I stayed in Les Arcs during March - I preferred the skiing in La Plagne ! :: The prices in Courchevel put me off :: My parties solution would be to stay in Vallandry (Les Arcs to the left, La Plagne to the right Smile )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LP and Cour are very different places. I don't holiday in St Tropez every year and then pop to Tenby expecting it to be the same just because it had a beach

Prioritise what you want from your holiday and search/ travel accordingly.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought Belle Plagne was reasonably attractive when I visited about ten years ago. It was also half term, and while I can remember some queuing, it wasn't too bad. I liked the skiing too. I'm sure there's little need to worry about queues and crowds if you're going off-peak.

The main lift out of the village is the mid-station of the gondola from Bellecote. Could be difficult for a big group to get in a cabin together in the morning, but shouldn't be a problem for a single / couple etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@henzerani, have a look here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2683132&highlight=esprit#2683132 - at my trip report to BP. Also have a look here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2496717&highlight=esprit#2496717 - for my trip report to Val d'Isere last year.

I too have the same issue as you; wanting to go somewhere with Esprit that does Advanced. However, I decided that we weren't going back to BP next year, mainly due to the cost differential between it and the Ducs du Savoie. What I am doing is taking all the benefits of Esprit but organising lessons for my son directly with a VdI ski school. I've been recommended Progression Ski - http://www.progressionski.com - and will probably go with them. I'll book my son in to "Mountain Goats" as that sounds about right for his level. Their lessons are 4 hours long compared to Esprit's 3 hours and the cost is comparable. Evo 2 also offer good kids packages and are worth a look.

As I ski in the afternoon with my son having Esprit take him back for lunch is not necessary.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think people sum this up very well. The bowls are pretty boring and busy but the satellite areas interesting. The only problem is that Champagny, Montchavin etc. are low and conditions often poor, particulalry the south facing slopes above Champagny. The Bellecote area is great but usually has a very long queue to get there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
henzerani wrote:
@Gaza, thanks. It's Esprit I'm looking at. Doesn't sound awful. Was it noticeably bad, in comparison to other places?

@Plake, the off-piste is why I'm interested, but that's only a small part of my week. And there's the rest of the group . . .

@dan100, I know. Courchevel is great. And no queues. But I sort of feel that as an adventurist, traveller sort I should try somewhere else. But I'm limited, not only by Esprit, but by where they do their Sprite Advanced.

Having stayed in both their places in Courchevel and Belle Plagne, despite (or maybe because?) of the BP place being plusher I MUCH preferred their Courchevel place and muh prefer the ski area as well.

I am surprised they don't do the Sprite Advance in more places does anybody know why? Thinking of spamming their facebook page as they seem to respond to that, if enough of us push for it maybe they will extend the offering?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ, I've asked the question and never got a straight answer. The frontline staff simply don't seem to know. I've been told they will "feedback to the relevant people" but nothing has changed. It still amazes me that they don't offer Advanced in Val d'Isere but do in La Rosiere. Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

As I said in my trip report, the DDD is very nice but Oscar and I don't need that level of luxury for a weeks skiing holiday. What matters to me is good food, comfortable accommodation, good childcare and a great ski area. I can get all that at the Ducs du Savoie and Val d'Isere and save £700. The latter is very important as Mrs Gaza has insisted on a February half-term break to Dubai in 2016. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Gaza, I have posted the question on there facebook page I reckon if enough people comment on it they may take notice. I agree completely about Val D'Isere and also St Anton is another! Though that could be driven by the number of guest they have at any one time now they only have one property?
ski holidays
Esprit have responded:
Quote:

Esprit Ski
Hi Nicola,
Different classes are opened in various resorts due to demand. After seeing slightly more demand for Sprite Advanced lessons this season, we will be increasing the number of resorts that this is offered in.
Sprite Advanced currently runs in Courchevel, Belle Plagne and La Rosiere. For next season, this will be extended to include Val d’Isere and Meribel.
We continually monitor the services we offer and take on board the feedback that we receive from our resort staff and guests, so this may well be extended again in future.
We hope that this is something that will suit you and your family.
Kind regards
The Esprit Team
ski holidays
Stayed in Belle Plagne 3 years ago and have to say it's a very good looking place - for a French purpose built mountain-top resort. We were there in mid-Jan, so outside school holidays and I don't remember any queues worth mentioning.

Only major down-sides I can remember are the ice covered, sloping, smooth wood walkway to get from the left to centre of 'town' and that there seemed to be a lot of flat bits in the ski area (that I always forgot to carry enough speed in to, but that could just be memories of polling making them seem worse than they were Very Happy).
snow conditions
Just to throw my opinion into the mix - I much prefer Belle Plagne!

I won't go over what others have said but would like to add that I definitely felt the pistes in La Plagne were much better looked after than those around the 3 valleys - if it's piste skiing your after then that's great, if it's off-piste then that's clearly irrelevant.
latest report
We were in Belle Plagne last month, loved it, truly ski in ski out and some great pistes all over the mountain. We'd go out at 9am and come back around 3-4pm never doing the same piste twice (if we didn't want to Very Happy ), we really liked the way it was linked up.

Here is my review of the resort, the travel and the accomodation

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=118176
snow report
Quote:

The latter is very important as Mrs Gaza has insisted on a February half-term break to Dubai in 2016.

I think the skiing is rather limited in Dubai, but perhaps you can save some money and go to Milton Keynes instead.
snow conditions
This was the view from our room on the 4th floor at DDD

A generic view of La Plagne somewhere. Toofy Grin

And finally a super zoomed in view of BP from somewhere else in the area. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

The DDD is circled.

ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

The latter is very important as Mrs Gaza has insisted on a February half-term break to Dubai in 2016.

I think the skiing is rather limited in Dubai, but perhaps you can save some money and go to Milton Keynes instead.

It is but Oscar and I have insisted that we are taking our boots and ski jackets for a session at Ski Dubai!!! Got to get some snow at February and it will have to do us until 20th March 2016. NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
Quote:

Could be difficult for a big group to get in a cabin together in the morning

But provided they were the tough, independent, sort who could bear to be parted for the time it took the lift to get up the mountain, they could probably cope.
latest report
Gaza Picture one is from BP, the restaurant centre towards top of pic is Le Chalet de Trieuse with the Colossus 8 seater chair going past to the side of it.

Picture two is at the top Grand Rochette just below the Funi Plagne lift looking down the Piste Petit Rochette. The barn roof on the right of the pic on the piste down to Champagny is often skied upon sometimes, successfully Embarassed
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Could be difficult for a big group to get in a cabin together in the morning

But provided they were the tough, independent, sort who could bear to be parted for the time it took the lift to get up the mountain, they could probably cope.

Very Happy

I do think they have the ability to "slot-in" extra bubbles at the middle station. I'm fairly certain I saw this happen when we were on it.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Gaza Picture one is from BP, the restaurant centre towards top of pic is Le Chalet de Trieuse with the Colossus 8 seater chair going past to the side of it.

Picture two is at the top Grand Rochette just below the Funi Plagne lift looking down the Piste Petit Rochette. The barn roof on the right of the pic on the piste down to Champagny is often skied upon sometimes, successfully Embarassed

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I'm off to B.P tomorrow evening, arriving Sat. for a week Very Happy
Won't be doing much off-piste as the trip is mainly to get my daughter learning to ski, so its more of a skiing investment so that she can ski merrily with us in future years!
Chose Belle Plagne as I skied it last year when we stayed in Vallandry - which I can recommend as it gives excellent access to both Arcs and Plagne areas of Paradiski and snow permitting is ski-in/out too - and I remember B.P. has lovely wide pistes ideal for my girl to learn on.

I'll report on it when I get back
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Notwithstanding my withering scorn of la plane there are lovely motorway pistes that make it a great area for intermediate skiing. Plague Central is one of the most shocking examples of mountain architecture. Genuinely repulsive. Belle plague itself not bad.
snow conditions
Been 3 times each to both and BP gets my vote by a mile. Better kept pistes, better off piste, not the rip off prices of 3V
snow conditions
dan100 wrote:
Notwithstanding my withering scorn of la plane there are lovely motorway pistes that make it a great area for intermediate skiing. Plague Central is one of the most shocking examples of mountain architecture. Genuinely repulsive. Belle plague itself not bad.

That may be so but unless I'm on a sightseeing holiday I really don't care too much about what the local architecture looks like. I'm quite good at putting the blinkers on at the same time as I put ski gear on. Very Happy
latest report
Some say it's an intermediate's paradise but it's not. It's up and down wit lots of poling and big queues that eat into ski time.
I do agree with Tango that off- piste opportunities are massive. I've never done it but I've heard the off piste routes off the top of the Bellecote glacier are amazing with a 2000m vertical down to Montchavin.
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, yep it's shocking isn't it, the most popular ski resort on the planet by visitor numbers, but guess I there is a reason for that, which you must be missing.
ski holidays
Very dubious statistic as it's a number of resorts under one pass. If you classed other linked areas as one resort then they would have more visitors. I've skied La Plagne a few times and enjoyed it. There just happen to be many areas in Europe with far more to offer, whatever type of skiing you're looking for.
ski holidays
I regarded it as skiing the paradiski area regardless of whether I was staying in the la plagne side or les arcs side, just as I would be skiing 3v regardless of which village I was staying in, just as we skied the sella ronda area etc. It only gets a bit sketchy when you say you can have one day in 3v on a paradiski pass as, without a car, is difficult to do.

When it comes to challenging piste skiing for the advanced skier, paradiski easily beats 3v and the sella ronda is a non starter.
snow report
When will they build a lift from Champagny to Courchevel?

Let's be honest, if you want challenging piste skiing La Plagne, 3V and SR are not the best options in the world and non of these resorts would claim to offer it. I think Arabba offers some good steeper skiing, certainly up there with anything in the 3V.
ski holidays
Not sure if serious? Champagny to Courchevel would be probably 3 or 4 x the distance of the vanoise express...it'll never happen, and nor should it.

The piste skiing in Arabba is tougher than most dolomite places but it's not exactly gold standard for tough avalanche safe stuff. For that you've got to cross the pond, somewhere like snowbird for example
latest report
Plake wrote:
Not sure if serious? Champagny to Courchevel would be probably 3 or 4 x the distance of the vanoise express...it'll never happen, and nor should it.

The piste skiing in Arabba is tougher than most dolomite places but it's not exactly gold standard for tough avalanche safe stuff. For that you've got to cross the pond, somewhere like snowbird for example

I think you're looking at a different threa if you're looking for off piste.

Champagny Courchevel is about the same distance as Plagne Bellecote to the Bellecote Glacier with no moutains in the way. It would be a far easier link to what' s being done between St Anton and Lech.
latest report
Years ago Champagny had the choice to join 3v or La Plagne, the rest is history.
AFAIK there is a regular bus service that does link Champagny to Bozel for the 3V. or something similar....
snow conditions
It would be great for La PLagne skiers but not so sure of the Benefits for Courchevel skiers who'd have to travel a long way to get to the good bits of La Plagne.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy