Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do i know if i over flex the boot?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recently visited CEM for some new boots and went for a pair of Atomic Hawx, very pleased with them and after some tweaking it's very comfortable. Skiing on steeps the upper cuff seems to get really loose even on the tightest setting so i've moved the rack to allow them to go slightly tighter on the top shin buckle, all good. However in the shop we were discussing flex and what to do when one 'becomes a better skier' and put a bolt into the boot to decrease the flexibility.

Now to the crux of it, how does one know if you're over-flexing the boot, what am i looking for? Currently the boot is a 110 flex, and i'm a 7.5-8 on the Inside Out scale, getting up to 40mph most days skiing anything on piste. (not trying to break any kind of speed records, just how the stats come out)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Levi215, When your knee touches the ski ? I have a set of touring boots that I can easily overflex -- I know this happens because the buckles over my ankles pop open !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Levi215,

In my view, only if you find you are not getting enough forward support. For example, if you hit some heavy snow at speed so that you get thrown forward are you able to support yourself comfortably on your shins to recover or do you find yourself lurching towards the tips.

How heavy/tall are you? I'm 176 and 78kg and 10 or 11 on the inside out scale and I've never felt the need to ski a boot more than 110 flex.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
when the clog (the lower part of the boot) deforms easily. but remember when testing at home that the boots will be stiffer when cold.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Levi215, simple solution is we drill it for the second bolt, and try it, no harm in taking it back out if it feels too stiff

other factors have to be considered as well, temperature when you are skiing, ie in spring (if there is such a thing this season) the boot will feel softer than in the dead of winter (just like indoors, boots feel soft)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy