Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you waste to much ski wax?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

for my masters thesis i am conducting research into the possibilities of reconstituting dirty wax scrapings back into a usable from by removing unwanted dirt and chemicals.

I have created a brief survey to help we with the direction of my project and i would be very grateful if anybody with the time could fill out a few yes or no questions on the subject of ski and board waxing.

I would also love if people could contribute their thoughts on the matter. I know some people do melt down wax shavings or small pieces of clean wax to re use. If you do how do you do it at the moment? Do you think it would be beneficial to the snow sports community if we could reduce the amount of wax we waste and reduce the impact it has on the environment?

I plan to post several videos of experiments with removing dirt from waxes to this thread later on in the summer so if you are interested in the subject you should keep an eye on this link.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BG7DHYW - Here is the link to the survey thank you in advance if you do choose to help me out. It will literally take you around 50 seconds to do.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Done. I'm not sure I relish the idea of scrating around the floor to get the scrapings for re-use, though the concept of reducing waste is good. However Ive often thought it odd we have to scrape off the dry wax, only to then re apply new wax to get more into the base, and repeat this process several times. What is wrong with the dried on wax?

Could a wax be developed that once it has dried, you simply re-iron to increase absortion and leave to cool. Repeat the cycle, and then scrape and polish on your final cycle ???
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I wax my skis I keep the surplus that is scrapped off unless dirty. I then reuse that as a dryslope wax on skis that are just for the dryslope. Surplus from the dryslope skis goes in the bin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHead

Done for you.

I think you need to speak or contact Jon at 'the piste office' (Google it)to better understand the ski waxing process and the reason(s) behind removing excess wax from the base of the ski before doing your thesis. Very Happy

It may make a mildly interesting project but I honestly don't think it is viable for the home tuner. Most ski shops who do hundreds of skis per day just use a machine to service the skis so the process of waxing and scraping is very different.

I wish you every success with the thesis and I'm sure you will get a few interesting opinions from the Snowheads community.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have a few pairs of skis and try to minimize wax wastage by applying a small amount and working well into the base by multiple ironings. But I would love to see a way to reclaim used wax shavings and filter out the debris.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It may also be a good way too blend your own wax mixtures away from the skis.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or just leave it like it is Wink Unless you are into high fluoro powders, wax (even fluoro) is dirty cheap, especially when comparing it to other equipment, so personally I don't see point in bothering with this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is this thread for real or just another sock puppet?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with everything everyone is saying! For the home tuner i think it may be a bit pointless as the amount of wax being wasted would not justify the need for a system or product to save any of that wasted wax unless the process was extremely cheap and easy. The area i think my project will focus on will be large to mid size hand operated workshops. There is the trend towards automation in workshops using the large wintersteiger machines that will obviously produce less waste but also will not provide the the same high end finish a trained technician would produce due to the human factor of being able to adapt to a particular ski or boards needs.

As i said it is a research project the likely hood of being able to remove enough crap from dirty wax is low but my aim it to try and reduce wax wastage in a medium to large sized hand operated workshop by 30%.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy