Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confidence Gone

Poster: A snowHead
@inycon10, well done and I hope you have a great time!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
High winds shut all but beginner lifts today. Nursery slope v dangerous place when whole resort is attempting to use it! Nearly wiped out by a kid coming down on a plastic tray thing 😠
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

High winds shut all but beginner lifts today

how exceedingly annoying - that's the trouble with these high altitude places. I can imagine it was scary!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
inycon10 wrote:
...Nearly wiped out by a kid coming down on a plastic tray thing 😠

They're called snowboarders Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or possibly a child on a bum-toboggan - though of course they shouldn't be allowed on ski slopes. I suspect the OP knows exactly what a snowboarder is. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@inycon10, Well done on getting out anyway. The good thing I always find with poor conditions (Usually weather/piste but also congestion) is that it makes skiing feel so much easier when things improve.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do people usually have a best turning direction? Turning right - no problem, but turning to the left on a steep slope I often come close to heading straight down and just manage to get control back. What ever I am doing wrong is killing my right knee. Through a tube of Voltarol already 😁
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, people nearly always have a best turning direction (and often one slightly dodgy knee, too) but a good instructor will sort out the technique issue. Sometimes by looking at turn shape, but it needs an expert to look at your particular problems.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you, I will have a word with instructor tomorrow and see what's to be done.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think so. I know I'm getting tired when my left turns go to pot.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to get really bad back pain skiing, and found turning right difficult when tired. Then my doctor measured my femurs - and found that the right one was 12mm shorter than the left! However, the body compensates with muscle changes, so the total leg length is only -5mm. All I needed was a thin foam sole in the right boot and I was fine. Worth checking. If you're with someone and have a tape measure to hand, it should be fairly easy to check for any gross difference like mine (although, obviously a doctor will be more skilled) as the measurement is from the protruberance at the hip to the knee, and is fairly obvious.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the tip, Maybe have something similar but could be more to do with me fast approaching 50. Wish I'd had a chance to ski years ago. 😁 Anybody coming to this area during next couple of weeks is in for a treat. A load of snowfall today and even more forecast tomorrow. V cold though, thought I'd be catching some Easter sunshine - no chance of that. Wind burn maybe! Breath turning to ice, never experienced anything like it 😂
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@inycon10, but you're starting to enjoy it aren't you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well yes, perhaps I am. 😉
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@inycon10, I was thinking last night about your post about struggling with turning left on steep slopes and heading straight down, fighting to regain control, etc etc.

Also, about your understandable apprehension after an accident, etc etc

Surely the obvious answer is that you shouldn't ski on slopes where you can't stay in control? Work on getting the turns right on your weaker side, on easier terrain - then move to steeper slopes when the instructor suggests you're ready. Not when some gung-ho friend or family member urges you to come long.

Why, when you're so nervous that you didn't even want to put skis on to start with, are you skiing on steep slopes? Puzzled
snow report
I am in a group with an instructor. Lost control just once yesterday but managed to stay upright and gain it again quite quickly. I think my idea of a steep slope would be totally different to most people's on here.😁
snow conditions
Quote:

I think my idea of a steep slope would be totally different to most people's on here

OK, fair enough! snowHead Maybe you're not getting your weight quickly enough onto that outside ski? I was having the same trouble in my cross-country lesson yesterday, stepping out of the tracks - not committing myself firmly enough.
ski holidays
Turns being better one way than the other is almost universal. In addition to leg length differences we don't notice day-to-day as msej449 highlighted most of us have a dominant side (left/right legged in the same way you're left/right handed) and you naturally have more control with/subconsciously favour one side. When you're skiing you need to get used to trusting your 'bad' leg. Like most things it just takes time and practice.
snow report
Think I've got my turns sorted, thanks for all the help. Will go to sleep with following ringing in my ears " touch your knee on the valley side, plant your pole, stand up, turn, touch knee on valley side" seems to work so I don't think about it too much. Saw two ambulances whizz past today. Hope nobody badly hurt.
latest report
Quote:

touch your knee on the valley side

Laughing I did exactly that when my snowplough turn wasn't working very well today on what (for me) was a steep red slope descent on tiny skinny cross country skis with no edges. It worked, too!
ski holidays
Sounds scary!! I didn't realise cross country skiing involved such steep downhill.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy