Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help ... suggestions please ... Suffering repeated dry blistered lips

Poster: A snowHead
Snowheads ..

Suggestions please - I keep suffering dry & blistered lips in spite of applying / trying various creams / balms etc ..

Anyone found a best cure for this ???

Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.superdrug.com/Blistex/Blistex-Intensive-Moisturiser-Hydrating-SPF-10-5g/p/742619?gclid=Cj0KEQjwxd6oBRCRoMrWmLOCvI4BEiQAYyZdkWbSRZDjHIDwIL9LtuCPWFV_V39ETNYeUWD6mC8SAvsaAh3a8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds#.VRfA7Rs5BMs

Or one of the other Blistex range. Works for me
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Make sure it's got good sun protection?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally, think the worst thing you can put on your lips is lipsalve.

But once you start, I don't think you are able to stop.

Just leave my lips au nature and they are still ok by the end of the week.

However, if I was out there for a season the story might be different.

Do you use lip salve in the UK?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find Blistex the best but this season I've used nothing and my lips are Ok. But I'm not out all day every day by a long way. Important not to lick them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kiteman69, a few sunny days and mine are a mess without protection.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all

Dont use lip salve in UK

Just returned from a week in Les Arcs & lips have take a trashing from sun / wind / weather ... looking to solve the recurring problem

Tried Blistex but not resolved .... maybe I am just too soft & should follow the rules
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Phyllis Stein, Factor 50 suncream every morning, and again whenever stop for coffee/hot chocky.
I put standard factor 50 cream on face and lips in the morning, then carry something like this:
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do you have a habit of licking your lips, @Phyllis Stein? My little grand-daughter suffers from sore lips and skin around the lips (in the UK) and we struggle to try to dissuade her from licking.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
High factor sun stick to stop them getting too bad in the first place? I have a Boots Soltan lip protector stick (this: http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Active-Ultra-Resitance-Sunstick-For-Lips-Face-SPF30-5g_1206988/ ). Clear and doesn't taste of anything. I never bother in the UK and always get chapped lips in winter, but use this when skiing and its fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I must admit. I do use a high SPF on all my face (applied once when I'm getting ready in the morning)

" ambre solaire clear protect spray spf 30 "

Perhaps that is what is protecting my lips.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have to use a high factor sunscreen on my lips whilst skiing (or any other activity that includes exposure to sun and wind) and I always pack a cream such as Zovirax, containing acyclovir. If I get even the tiniest tingle anywhere on my lips I use the Zovirax cream immediately and it nips potential blisters in the bud. Before I introduced this regime, and before high factor sunscreen and acyclovir was available I had lots of problems with blistered lips! I sympathise @Phyllis Stein,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CaravanSkier, That makes two of us !! -- took me years to realise that my 'Cold' sores were caused by too much sun!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Often struggle with dry lips, that can spontaneously crack and bleed if I don't take some precautions. Read a magazine article a few years ago by a ski instructor I vaguely know who described similar symptoms and then went on to develop some sort of cancerous tumour on his lower lip, so now I'm a bit more careful. I normally use this during the day:

and this at night if my lips are very sore

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Please excuse me for butting in - I'm a newbie! I figured it was about time I signed up - at least I can talk about skiing on here without people completely switching off! Plus added to that, I am just back from Austria and in the early stages of "snopression"!!

As for dry lips, I personally use Vaseline in those little pots, the blue one - not the Aloe Vera. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me! I feel that I may be alone on this!
ski holidays
I use this stuff. Apply through the day and it's brilliant. I used to get very dry lips, but no more!

ski holidays
Welcome @Conor93

Thanks all ... Now very confused as it appears that there are lots of products that work for each of you ..

Going to give a stick with SPF a try next week in Avoriaz ... Hopefully the skies will be clear ...

Thanks again .. Please keep adding ideas as it appears a more common problem than I thought Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
It's really down to what works for you I think. Once you find it then you're laughing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
I've been using Carmex and steriopane (Carrefour) and they have saved me.

Chapped lips are agony and they make my lipstick look terrible!

My friend uses a baby's toothbrush and Vaseline to gently exfoliate them- it does help but not when they're already sore!
ski holidays
Vaseline is white soft paraffin, which is the base ingredient for most of the lip balms mentioned above. It's a good place to start as it's non allergenic so is often used in wound dressings etc. However it won't protect you from UV rays so if you're skiing in sunshine you need to have a high factor sun screen ingredient in there too. UV exposure is a potent trigger for herpes simplex 1 virus reactivation so if you are prone to these then Caravanskier's advice about acyclovir is "spot on", if you'll pardon the pun.
ski holidays
I use an spf stick or balm and put it round and up my nose a bit., also spf50 sun cream
latest report
I recommend uvistat factor 50 lip screen
snow report
I use factor 50 lip salve on the slopes, and Vaseline the rest of the time, but wearing a snood/neck tube, and keeping my mouth covered is the only thing that stops me getting blisters. Sometimes can be a bit warm, but I have had quite painful blisters in the past whilst skiing, so it's worth it.
latest report
Conor93 wrote:
It's really down to what works for you I think.

Me too - Vaseline and Carmex, for example, do nothing for me, nor does Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream (which I use for lots of other things) - though I lent my friends some EA 8h and it did wonders for them for this purpose. I have finally found something that works for me (though to be fair I've never been at the point of blisters) - Caudalie 'lip conditioner' (cheap here, not sure about the UK) whilst not on the pistes and La Roche Posay factor 50 lip balm whilst skiing/hiking etc (again, no doubt cheaper in France than the UK).
snow conditions
Rub in lots of moisturiser, then vas aline/lip balm over the top.
latest report
As has been mentioned, vaseline/lip salve etc. is not enough. You need to make sure that your lips have sun protection as well as a moisturiser. Your lips get burnt by the sun just like any other part of your skin. If they get burnt, they will dry and peel no matter how much moisturiser/vaseline/lip salve you apply.

In conclusion, make sure your lip salve has an SPF or use the same SPF cream as for your face and avoid licking it off.
ski holidays
I suffer soooooo badly with dry, unbearably sore lips. The best thing for them is virgin coconut oil mixed with raw honey. Coconut oil is expensive (jar is around £15) but there are hundreds of health benefits - skin, lips, consuming it.... Smile
latest report
Good news ... It worked .. Can't recommend Uvistat Factor 50 enough!

Thanks @3VSki Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Prevention is better than cure
Dry lips can be the first sign of altitude sickness along with nose bleeds. Sure, sun can make it worse, but drink loads of water to combat the altitude sickness and you are half way there.
Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
This time of year, just chuck anything on your lips that you have around.
We have a selection of lip balms/creams/sticks which we've acquired over the years and there really does not seem to be much of a difference between their performance. More of a problem is their acceptability to the recipient! We've found Lush products https://www.lush.co.uk/products/lips to be acceptable to our youngsters and not too expensive.
latest report
As a "cure" MrsS uses Sudocreme on the granddaughters lips. A couple of them tend to lick lipsalve off during the day which makes them sore, and the Sudocreme does really seem to work.
snow conditions
smagsmith wrote:
along with nose bleeds.

Is it?

I get them every year.

I just assumed it was due to the change in pressure.

(Sometimes I get them on VERY hot days in the uk)
snow report
Strong sun when skiing more often that not was triggering truly horrendous cold sores for me. So I invested in some high protection sunblock for lips-apply it liberally first thing and after a drink or lunch-no issues since.
snow conditions
I've had terrible blisters on my lips in my early years skiing and did some research.
Vaseline is great for afterwards but has no sun screen in. Clear lip balm and vaseline can actually act like a lens if applied to thickly. It's essential to have high uv block protection. If you forget your lip protector, normal high factor sunscreen will do - it just tastes dreadful. The total block products do block all UV but also dry out. I find a High factor UV specific lip balm the best. I found the products in North America brilliant but can't remember what they're called.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy