Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snowsports

Poster: A snowHead
I am keen on hearing any info on the state of scottish snowsports in the next couple of days. I have been on all the usual sites but I think u cant beat information from an impartial source. Kind of dissappointed it has taken a bit of a turn for the worse since early december.

I myself was at cairngorm on the 6th of december and had some decent skiing. It didnt look too inspiring from the car park though. Went down the traverse and zig-zag runs which got extremely narrow towards the bottom. Had alot of fun in the ptarmigan bowl and the unpisted area of to the side of it. I did bite off more than I could chew though going down the m2. It took me around 20 minutes. It was the first time out on my new skis and I didnt want to cut up the bases. There were rocks everywhere towards the bottom with the m2 only being around 8ft across at the botom with rocks protruding within those 8feet. That said, u really can not beat real snow. with the opening of the xscape in glasgow there may be an increase in pressure on cairngorm etc to invest in more snow cannons. Anyway i have forgotten what my point was rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried winterhighland.com ? Always pretty accurate assessment of conditions, and five day forecasts. Limited sport on offer at the moment - only Ptarmigan tow open at CG, and beginners runs at Glenshee and Lecht. After the Lord Mayors Show you might say since late Nov early Dec action this year. A few patches around, and a big storm would be enough to get things going. It'll come - but no-one knows when! C'est la vie...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
not much open, Cairngorm lost the upper bowl overnight due to a heavy thaw
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey guys, hope you all have a good 2006.

Was up CairnGorm yesterday. Nice route down Marquis' Well, Ptarmigan traverse, then the Traverse to the 105 hairpin, with only small break outside the Ptarmigan station and at the bottom of Marquis' Well.

http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/cairngorm/winter200506/jan06/14/index.html

Lots of ice up there. Solid base. If only the huge November dump hadn't vanished in that brief mild spell, because it would then all be consolidated...

See you all up there.

Sample pic, top of the Ptarmigan T-Bar
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ptarmigan looks skiable....with harscheisen Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stunning pics firsttracks. The ice climbing must be good !

Was over on Macdui New Years Eve and was impressed by the cover between Carn Lochan and Mcdui. Most of that must still be there.

Hope we get something soon !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at the CML Daylodge camera and this mornings BBC forecast it looks like the Cairngorms precipitation deflectors have been in full operation and there has been little new snow either overnight or so far today. Base looks good though now all we need is something skiable on top of it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys.

Dave Horsley, in terms of new snow there really hasn't been anything. I mean, the 'snow' (read: boilerplate) on the hill at the moment is only really what fell at the end of November. Snow since then fell and was thawed away. The most probable reason for the thaws was due to the amount of heat (read: anger) radiating from Cameron McNeish's house after witnessing the early snowfalls and having the ice climbers out hacking their way up margional routes.

See you all up there sometime - no doubt be seeing you on the hill sooner or later Dave. My description at Glenmore campsite was pretty shoddy, but you'll recognise my ski gear if you see it - that's me in the first photo on the site.

Cheers
Jamie

PS. If conditions don't improve I think I'll be setting up camp in Marquis' Well!! Now we begin wishing that CML had that summit tow.. Snowsports would have been ongoing since November, and would continue into May or even beyond in a good winter! Anybody else think the placement of their two new Ptarmigan Bowl tows being installed is pretty shocking? I mean, on either side of the Ciste T-Bar means that when they are operating they won't offer any additional accessible areas, and won't make a huge deal of difference! At the very least, they could have doubled up the Ptarmigan T-Bar; there is the space to do it, and definitely the demand.

I would have liked to see one running up from the Ptarmigan Station along the Ptarmigan traverse snowfence to the top of the T-Bar, and then look at an additional drag lift or something up Marquis' Well. Let's face it, the terrain park folk would be happy, almost guaranteed snow into the late season to keep the majority happy, plus of course access to some of the best off-piste areas in Scotland within a ski patrol boundary (Coronation Wall, Head Wall, and outwith the boundary even the gullies and couloirs in Sneachda!)! Well, we can dream
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
firstracks, I'll be up Sunday, I'm doing an avalanche awareness course at Glenmore. Hacking snowpits in the boilerplate could be fun.

I noticed where they had positioned one of the tows, running up past the top of the Ciste tow, which seemed reasonably sensible as it would give a bit of extra height above the Ciste tow. That was using the old link poma, so I'm not sure how far down the bowl the start of the tow will be. However I can't see why you'd want a third tow in almost the same location, but I hadn't noticed anywork on the foundations for the second of the new tows last time I was up have they been working on it since mid december or was it hidden under the snow we had then? They might not want to double up the ptarmigan tow as these are supposed to be absolute beginner tows and they might want to avoid the steeper section of the ptamigan tow, but I wouldn't want three tows in roughly the same area.

Yes I'd love to see a summit tow up Marquis's well, properly sited you'd need little or no fencing and it wouldn't sky line. It would provide gauranteed late season snow ( a skinned up and over to the plateaux late last year). I'm also unsure why CML don't set up a portable tow above the Ptarmigan tow to service the terrain park.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Dave.

The CairnGorm pistemap shows where the two new lifts are going in:
http://ski.visitscotland.com/ski_centres/cairngorm/pistemap

Not exactly the best placement, and not the most snow sure areas on the hill. There are certainly more worthwhile places for them. On one hand though, I can vaguely see the point of having one there, and that would be to provide beginners with an additional short run when the bottom of the Fairway is broken.

I remember hearing that they had considered doubling the Ptarmigan T-Bar in the past, as there is certainly the space to do so, and it would help increase uplift capacity to shorten those massive queues that build up there. The potential of development in the Ptarmigan bowl area definitely has not been fully explored - overcrowding wouldn't be a problem either due to the size of the area of the hill in question, and the lifts of course would swallow the numbers so there would in reality be around the same number or even less people on the piste at any one time.

Although having said that, I'd rather see them building lifts to access new areas than see them doubling up other lifts. Yes doubled lifts would swallow the numbers, but other lifts spread the load out more.

That map (link above) also betrays another home truth as regards the lifts, or rather the future of some particular existing lifts on the hill ( Sad ) that I can't talk to you about just yet - my mouth is firmly shut unfortunately!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
firstracks, that has to be the worst piste map I've ever seen! As a drawing it's fine, but even knowing Cairngorm as well as I do it's hard to make out where is where! I notice the absence of the Ciste chairs (presumably what you're referring to), they seemto be getting rid of all the good skiing on the mountain - East and West wall of the Ciste, lower part of the Ciste - Corrie Laoughie Mhor (sp?) - no wonder they're not making any money! AFAIK there's always been some sort of political problem with a tow above the Ptarmigan T bar. Something to do with access to RSPB land .....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CML have already said they are going to decommission the ciste and west wall chairs (which is I think a mistake as once they are gone if they do get any money it may be dificult to get permission to replace them), but what Jamie may be refering to is the missing Aonach poma - maybe that is going elsewhere. Bear in mind though that the lift map is the visit scotland map not CML's map which has the redundant lifts (Ciste and WW chair, aonach poma, faicaill tow) though possibly that is for navigation reasons. Wouldn't want the punters skiing down the Ciste, past the bottom of the ciste tow and onto the top of the west wall and arriving at the WW chair towers looking at the piste map and not seeing them marked.

You can still ski the West wall and Aonach bowl and most of the Ciste gulley using the WW poma (though it could get very busy if we have decent snow) what becomes dificult is the east wall and gulley 2 in particular. They are going to be left to those of us who have tele and/or AT kit and can skin back to the WW poma - not ideal. If there is snow you could ski all the way to the Ciste Car park and get the bus back round to the Cas side, but again not ideal.

easiski, I thought CML had in the past got planning permission for a summit tow up Marquises Well and I think that area is not owned by RSPB (but I may be wrong).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS it looks from the webcams that there has been a little snow overnight down to Daylodge level.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting that you have land owned by the RSPB up there. Down here in on the Wiltshire Hampshire border they have just bought there first 900 acres of farmland and have stated that they intend to buy more Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fingers crossed for this weekend, Cairngorm says:

Road Status
CLOSED: Drifting snow. Ploughs working.

regards,

Greg
latest report
Quote:

Road Status
CLOSED: Drifting snow. Ploughs working.

One of the best bits of the hill for collecting large quantities of snow is the link road - another reason for not decommissioning the Ciste Chair as if the Ciste chair is running can use the Ciste car park. Didn't look to be enough snow on the webcam to close the road, but who knows.
snow report
are there any webcams on the west coast? looks like they should be getting more showers today!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
gregh, Kingshouse in Glencoe :

Ben Nevis cam :
ski holidays
ta Brian,

So it does look like precipatation is around Very Happy

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, No but Ciste Mhearaidh is and a tow there would give access to it without climbing (as I understodd the situation). However it must be said that my info may be out of date - I hope so, but - there you are - I never noticed the missing Aonach tow (Aonach being one of my favourite runs) - damn - certainly not worth the effort of getting up there now - none of my favourites available regardless of snow. Yes - you can ski Ciste and walk out at the bottom - hardly the same though is it? I bet the cafés gone too, so no hot choccy while waiting for the bus .... Sad Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
easiski, you can still ski the Aonach bowl and head over to the West Wall poma (so about 2/3 of the tow's length).

I agree though, it's a crying shame what they've done to Cairngorm Sad

In an ideal world and with a time machine, go back and

- stuff the funicular, which has put them in massive debt.
- build a high speed detachable quad in 2 sections to replace the old lady chair
- put in a summit tow
- open the traverse/105/home road as a summer lift served mtb track
- act like a bloody ski area again ! eg. get the tows barred up when the snow falls, not 4 days later.

It's Coire Laogh Mor, btw wink
latest report
easiski,

You can still ski the Aonach bowl no problem. WW poma is still there and operating (Aonach poma is still there physically though it has been gutted for parts to be used elsewhere so I've been told and can't run). In fact I had some very nice sking in the Aonach bowl last year on un tracked powder. Could get to it via the M2 and then drop into the bowl from just above the top of the Aonach poma. The snow on the link from the M2 into the bowl was unpisted heavily wind sculpted breakable crust, but the bowl itself was nice powder. Alternatively could ski down the west side of the WW poma and into the Aonach bowl. CML made some fences changes in the Aonach bowl according to the Season ticket holders info so they presumable have long term plans for this area. Can still ski the run between the WW poma and the WW chair and the Ciste gulley itself. Though if skiing the gulley will have to head up out of it quite early to get to the bottom of the WW chair. AFAIR the board walk comes out at the WW chair which starts lower than the poma. I haven't managed to ski the Ciste gulley for a couple of years now - its always been closed when I've been there, either due to too little snow or because of avalavhe risk.

Quote:

No but Ciste Mhearaidh is and a tow there would give access to it without climbing (as I understodd the situation).

Maybe, but it is a pretty easy walk/skin up from the Ptarmigan as it is. Also I wouldn't have thought that many more people would venture over the back of Cairngorm with a summit tow than do now, because they would have to skin or walk out once they had skiied Ciste Mhearaidh. They are more likey to ski back into the ski area either back down into the Ptamigan bowl or via Coronation Wall or the Cas head wall.

Also the last time I was touring over the back (on my own in poor snow conditions) I met lots and lots of people, mainly walkers heading in the direction of Ben Macdui.

Quote:

Yes - you can ski Ciste and walk out at the bottom - hardly the same though is it? I bet the cafés gone too, so no hot choccy while waiting for the bus ....

Nope its still physically there though looking very Sad Sad Sad . I don't think its been used as a cafe for at least 5 years. It may have been used to sell tickets in 2001.
ski holidays
brian, thanks!Dave Horsley, glad there's so much of the good stuff still there, but would they piste it??? I think it's really sad - it's clear now that the funicular was a huge mistake, shame. yes the boardwalk I remember does come out at the chair and is lower than the WW tow. Actually I remember before it was there, walking down the muddy path to get to the chair. I remember before the chair was there and how exciting it was to have it, and what a difference the Ciste carpark made to the whole place (in those days both would be full at weekends). I've skied the Ciste many times and ended up on the heather, and then they started closing it unless there was enough snow to get to the boardwalk because apparently heather is an endangered species in Scotland, and we were damaging this rare and valuable resource by skiing or walking on it!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked I love Cairngorm, and I'm really sad about all the desparate things that are happening to it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Anybody ski in Scotland last weekend?

In Glen Shiel last weekend to bag a few munros. Lots of skiable gullies and some seriously steep lines off heavily loaded lee slopes - 200m vertical possible. I was content to glissade down gentler slopes - fresh butt tracks everywhere snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy