Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help required choosing next years trip.

Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Think it may be more about your mate's son and his lack of technique......

That's what I mean, skiing easy green / blue gradient run powder in Japan you can get away with a lack of technique, come back to the sort of powder we often get and it's a whole different technique required.

I absolutely disagree on this.

But then I advocate, ski and teach a different way of skiing than most snowheads do, especially in unconsolidated, fresh snow.

Skiing powder doesn't require a different technique from skiing the piste. And skiing Japanese powder doesn't require a different technique from skiing European powder.

Dfferent levels of sensitivity, pressure control and tempo? Absolutely.

And contrary to popular belief, Hokkaido has black runs and slopes between 40-45 degrees.

Quote:
For sure it's fantastic fun skiing light champagne powder, (and if only we have more days like that), but more often than not that's not the case, or you'll find it a top a glacier at 3500 but by the time you drop down to 2500 and lower down you'll be struggling if you don't know how to ski.

In EUROPE and that's why you go to Japan, and in my case Hokkaido.

Quote:
What's the average vertical in some of the main stream resorts in Japan then ?

500-750 m on Hokkaido. Same snow top to bottom.

When it comes to powder hopefully the following analogy will explain my thoughts and feelings.

If you go for lunch at a Michelin starred restaurant the food will be very good, but invariably it will be cooked by the head chef's understudy. Every once in a while the understudy will pull a blinder and/or the head chef may cook at lunchtime. Then it will be excellent.

If you go for dinner, then the head chef will be cooking and aside from the odd time when the head chef underperforms it will be excellent.

The head chef works on Hokkaido Wink

Quote:
And not wanting to turn this into a "dissing" Japan thread, but another mate who has done Japan a number of times says it's not worth going to the main resorts and will now only go with a guide to explore further afield.

Guide in question is very well known as most European guides use "Hiro" when taking groups to Japan.

Depends when you go, where you go and your ability.

But to dismiss a resort because it's popular is foolhardy. It may have the best snow that day despite it being busy.

Quote:
Jeeees I just looked at that video, just straight lining off the piste into some powder straight lining again - the Grannies Vid was far better, suppose I can see why Pam w thinks that's better than LG rolling eyes

They're turning just not turnng for the sake of turning.

The combination of pitch and immersion in snow necessitates a narrower line.

The point of putting this particular video up was

1. This is the quality of the powder
2. This is how accessible it is
3. You don't have to be an expert to experience powder.
4. And as Pam W quite rightly pointed out, look how much fun it is Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
Oh oh maybe I'm talking bollox - could have sworn it was Japan

http://youtube.com/v/dXSuWvdnvHg

Great snow, great terrain, and some game girls making great turns.

They also paid a s*** load more money for that experience compared with a day ticket at an Hokkaido resort.

Apples and oranges.

And aside from the pole planting the turn shape wasn't that dissimilar. Just doing enough for the snow depth and pitch.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jedster wrote:
Quote:

You can ski powder on green pitch terrain. This slows down the acceleration at the start of the turn - the problem area for many people in powder - allowing more time to get balanced with the snow and the terrain and link smooth turns.
As an example, here are the Lovelocks and Craig warming up on a green run and green pitch terrain at Kiroro

Hang on Mike - that video looks really lovely but I don't think it quite makes your point! I mean no one is doing any turns. It's pretty easy to straightline European "powder" too - its being able to practice turns without losing too much speed that is the issue. If the video showed them skiing powder 8s on a green run pitch then I'd see what you were trying to say Very Happy

They're turning just not turning for the sake of turning.

The combination of pitch and immersion in snow necessitates a narrower line. Sometimes going straight.

Skiing powder 8s on a green pitch even with Hokkaido powder would result in running out of momentum.

They're skiing the terrain and snow depth not a turn shape.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, and what width skis are they using?

Still think that vid is not a good example if you're trying to sell the idea of Japan as a great place to ski powder, I've seen you post way better shots!

And re technique, only last Thursday I was with a guide who went into the back seat as we all do at times due to heavy snow and bad viz.

And it's not all bluebird days in Japan, from what I understand sometimes you might not see the sun all week. Great for snow but many people do not like skiing in bad viz.

Japan was/is on my bucket list, and my mate is trying to get us to go next year but with a guide to the outer islands or something and like I say he is adamant that the big resorts are not worth it, which I must admit to conflict with all what you see and read rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weatherspam, there is a lift out of Grenoble, you'd know that if you were the expert you claim to be! Same as there is a lift out of Briançon, rarely skiable while I was teaching there but still a lift, same as the one out of Grenoble. If you find the thread and my inappropriate answer to that particular question I'll buy you a beer but you'll need to pull your head out of your own backside to be able to drink it!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, huge apologies.

Yes, that was exactly your point (our point?).

Retractions all round.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
Think a fair few are agreeing with "road trip avec guide" !

How is it when in Europe I l hear so many North Americans saying how "awesome" it is...........

Back late last year I was fortunate enough to interview Jermey Jones and he was so impressed at how we live in Serre, close to LG (yawn, yawn)

You only have to look at how many "Yanks" decamped to La Grave............

Actually I'm with [b]Weathercam
here - the Alps are Be Nice please! awesome.

I had great days in Japan last season, and great days in Kashmir this season... But my best days ever have all been in the Alps. The terrain - and how much of it you get (quantity as well as variety) is just unbeatable when conditions are good.

You just have to be flexible, but that also goes for the other places - when I was in Japan we had to day trip several times to Kiroro as while it was dumping nonstop there Niseko had been bone dry for a week.

It's also very easy to be flexible in the Alps. Yeah you get kinda skunked on lift passes if you have to chase powder to several resorts, but it's very easy to get around by public transport or hire car (a couple of hours gets you from North to South etc and totally different weather), and you can pretty much always find a pension for a couple of nights, especially in the small resorts - which is where you want to be on powder days unless you like fighting for fresh tracks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry folks to drag this thread down but I have to respond.

Absolutely no way is there a commercial ski lift from Grenoble center (walking distance) to a ski area which is what was asked and you can't try and back track by saying it's the lift up to the Bastille.

It shouldn't be difficult for her to find this lift (schnapps allowing) on Google Maps and post the link here.

FYI my two nieces grew up on the outskirts of Grenoble for nigh on twenty years and I was a regular visitor to all the local resorts around Grenoble, so please post that link.

Sorry folks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok if it's a powder video off try this alleghe Italy on a powder day

http://youtube.com/v/APcux7OFeDQ

So you can have fun where ever you go just go skiing ![/url]
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
@Mike Pow, and what width skis are they using?

Still think that vid is not a good example if you're trying to sell the idea of Japan as a great place to ski powder, I've seen you post way better shots!

And re technique, only last Thursday I was with a guide who went into the back seat as we all do at times due to heavy snow and bad viz.

And it's not all bluebird days in Japan, from what I understand sometimes you might not see the sun all week. Great for snow but many people do not like skiing in bad viz.

Japan was/is on my bucket list, and my mate is trying to get us to go next year but with a guide to the outer islands or something and like I say he is adamant that the big resorts are not worth it, which I must admit to conflict with all what you see and read rolling eyes

Between 125-135 mm in the tip, 75-85mm underfoot. Normal camber skis.

The vid I put up was aimed at the OP and what I thought he was looking for.

Was trying to show that you don't have to be an expert to be able to ski the highest quality powder.

Here's a vid of Johnnie skiing more challenging terrain, skiing faster, making turns and having fun.

http://youtube.com/v/s8ikaIVNDrw

Yeah it snows a lot on Hokkaido. Sometimes for days on end. We're not Aspen where it snows at night and then it's sunny in the day.

And we're not Europe, where the trend is to have huge snowfalls and then long periods without snow.

But the runs are treelined and the trees practically go to the top. So visibilty during storms is not the issue it can be in above treeline resorts.

I hope you make it out and see for yourself. But go with the snow, not some predetermined checklist.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
Think a fair few are agreeing with "road trip avec guide" !

How is it when in Europe I l hear so many North Americans saying how "awesome" it is...........

Back late last year I was fortunate enough to interview Jermey Jones and he was so impressed at how we live in Serre, close to LG (yawn, yawn)

You only have to look at how many "Yanks" decamped to La Grave............

Actually I'm with [b]Weathercam
here - the Alps are awesome.

I had great days in Japan last season, and great days in Kashmir this season... But my best days ever have all been in the Alps. The terrain - and how much of it you get (quantity as well as variety) is just unbeatable when conditions are good.

You just have to be flexible, but that also goes for the other places - when I was in Japan we had to day trip several times to Kiroro as while it was dumping nonstop there Niseko had been bone dry for a week.

It's also very easy to be flexible in the Alps. Yeah you get kinda skunked on lift passes if you have to chase powder to several resorts, but it's very easy to get around by public transport or hire car (a couple of hours gets you from North to South etc and totally different weather), and you can pretty much always find a pension for a couple of nights, especially in the small resorts - which is where you want to be on powder days unless you like fighting for fresh tracks.

I agree the Alps are awesome, and this is the crux of the discussion

Quote:
is just unbeatable when conditions are good.

I'm going out on a limb here not having seen the OP ski but I would suggest that you're a far more accomplished skier than him or his group and what you find fantastic he/they will avoid like the plague.

The reason for answering the OPs question on Japan was to show that you can experience the highest quality powder in resort, with no hiking on intermediate terrain and I feel that this part of Hokkaido gives the recreational skier the best chance of skiing powder on 10-14 day vacation than anywhere I've worked or played at.

And I've done seasons in Montana, Utah, Colorado, BC, Austria, the Dolomites and played at Mt Baker, Chamonix, La Grave to name but three.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 30-03-15 23:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stevevarley wrote:
Ok if it's a powder video off try this alleghe Italy on a powder day

http://youtube.com/v/APcux7OFeDQ

So you can have fun where ever you go just go skiing ![/url]

Great snow, looks a blast. Had some great powder days in Alleghe.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having skied many places in Europe & Canada and also one trip to Japan, my suggestion, after all of my experiences (and from hearing about friends experiences) is that if you want guaranteed powder go to Japan. You would have to be the most unlucky person ever to not get at least 50% of the time as pow days in Japan. I have had many trips to Europe where it hasn't snowed at all for 7 days, but have also had good luck as well. I have also had incredible trips to Canada in terms of snow fall but I reckon if you take all the odds and compare them Japan would be the safest bet by far. Personally I didnt think it was that expensive, sure the flights cost a bit but if you book in June/July/Aug you can get good flights for around £500. Once you are there ski passes are the same as Europe, if not cheaper and food is cheaper than European resorts - much cheaper I thought. Also Japan is cheaper than Canada. Accom can be a little pricey but if you arent to fussed you can get reasonable deals - again you need to book early (before Sept) to get the good stuff.

Just do it, you wont regret it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all,

I wasn't really dissing Europe, I think that if you can't find something you like in EK then you should probably give up skiing!. As someone has already said, we seem to meet a lot of Yanks and Canadians who come over and say the off piste much better here. The idea is that we want to have a holiday where we try to get the basics of powder skiing so that if/when we get the odd day back in Europe we can hopefully make the most of it. We have been so lucky with the weather in the last 3 years but even so the days of skiing in over 10cm of fresh are few and far between if one only skis a week or 2 a year. (And 10cm is hardly deep enough for those amazing face shots I see every now & then!)

I have to say that between MikePow and BMG I think the idea of Japan is becoming more appealing!

So Japan: book early, hire a car for the duration, as food is cheap don't be too fussed about self catering (is there such a thing there?) Can one get lessons in english there?

Thanks guys for all your replies!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Pictures of Myself Being Amazing
Mwahahaha! I love it!
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:

The reason for answering the OPs question on Japan was to show that you can experience the highest quality powder in resort, with no hiking on intermediate terrain and I feel that this part of Hokkaido gives the recreational skier the best chance of skiing powder on 10-14 day vacation than anywhere I've worked or played at.

Yep, I can't argue with that - though I wouldn't say (fresh, untracked) powder is guaranteed even in Japan. If you're willing to drive a couple of hours then it's probably as close to guaranteed as you'll find on this planet, but if you want to just stay at Niseko for a week or two you could be disapointed.
latest report
gixxerniknik wrote:

I have to say that between MikePow and BMG I think the idea of Japan is becoming more appealing!

So Japan: book early, hire a car for the duration, as food is cheap don't be too fussed about self catering (is there such a thing there?) Can one get lessons in english there?

Thanks guys for all your replies!

Mike Pow gives lessons for one! Jimmer (from this forum) also teaches in Japan. They don't normally do lessons as such (more guiding), but Black Diamond Lodge and Tours are also worth looking at, and lay on day trips when somewhere else is getting more snow.

Japan doesn't have to be that expensive - I did 3 and a half weeks for €3300 all told (flights, insurance, beer, food, one week guided road trip, etc) last season. If you want to spend a few days in Sapporo (which you should) some business hotels are really cheap. I forget the one Magseven reccomended me, but it was ideal so maybe pm him.
snow conditions
[edit]
Totaly didn;t see the second page!
snow report
If you want powder then I would say 110000000000% head to one place where they have the lightest, fluffiest most beautiful snow - JAPAN. Everyone I speak to I now tell them Japan is an absolute must. The food, the culture, the people and of course the snow is just world famous Smile

This is a video from my trip this year - the powder was in abundance and if you know the right spots you can hit it all day without it getting tracked out. It was so light you can blow on it and it looks like sugar icing.

http://youtube.com/v/-g2vksJsffg
ski holidays
Cracking vid. And that's coming from a sker Wink Smile
latest report
@gixxerniknik, Japan is the best value powder trip in my opinion. I have had trips to many places that have not delivered from a powder perspective, but Japan is constantly the most reliable. Yes the runs are shorter than in europe, but then there are so many of them. it's easy to get away from Niseko and navigation is also easy. One day in Rusutsu we spotted a line from the entry gondola that looked good. It was amazing, and we skied the same aspect in the valley fresh all day 12 times and saw two other skiers in it the whole day. Food is cheap in Japan as long as you like noodles and are versatile/adventurous and are prepared to go to locals places.

Japan is not perfect, it's different but you can't rely on skiing as much powder without hiring space on a cat or hell.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy