Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UPDATE: Shop loses my skis(!) - advice sought

Poster: A snowHead
I'm afraid this is a situation where I'd apply Occam's Razor.

They've been nicked and it is the shop's responsibility. You need some new skis.

Sur e you can come up with convoluted theories about how it could be an accident and no one has corrected the mistake but the simplest explanation is generally the best one and we all know what that is
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mjit wrote:
Geez, relax people!

From the sounds of it the store screwed up and have held their hands up to it. They are trying their best to resolve things by first-off trying to get your own skis back, giving the other customer the benifit of the doubt that it was an honest mistake. If you need skis while it's resolved that way they have offered them to you and if it starts to look like a criminal act they have offered to replace. If that's the case, just stay chilled for a few days more.

Unlike so many fellow SnowHeads I'm not perfect so can see how this could happen - someone in a rush to collect a few pairs of skis before heading straight off for a weeks skiing and being told "Those are your skis over there." by someone in the shop. Now they were rushing so just grabbed and ran without thinking/counting and this week the shop are calling/emailing someone with no access to pick up the landline/emails because they are in a ski resort.

If it does turn out to be theft (from a shop you've given your personal contact details to, which is dumb) you can start negotiating with the store about compensation, where you don't have to just take what they offer but can expect either identical/mutually agreed equivalent replacement kit or the cash equivalent.

^^^this^^^ I fully agree, give the shop a chance, to:
sort it all out
offer something acceptable once they can't sort it out

Only if they can't/won't do the above is it worth getting all worked up about.

Shops are run by people you know, who are as fallible as their customers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Maireadoconnor, mistakes do happen. that's why the system should be designed to minimise likelihood of error. Very clearly and unusually given standard practice elsewhere this system didn't work...and it is, without doubt, whatever the cause, the shop's fault and responsibilty.

Disclaimers notwithstanding....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, agreed. I'd be very cross if it happened to me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I can distinguish between 3 and 4 pairs of things fairly easily...and I would expect when sent by chum to collect skis that I'd be briefed on how many pairs to grab.

Quote:

and if it was me, I'd have been straight back to the shop, red of face and full of contrite embarrassment at my stupidity.

Exactly my thoughts. It may turn out to be an innocent mistake, but it's all very peculiar to say the least.

Would seem that there is still no sign of the skis having been returned as of close of play today, so looks like we'll be going to plan 'b'.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have to say I was quite attached to my old skis, so I'll be sad to see them go (if in fact they are gone for good).

They weren't anything particularly special - Salomon Rocker 2 (90mm all-mountain type affairs) - but I've had some adventures on them, including my first ever trip to La Grave last year. So (assuming they don't turn-up) they will be missed Sad

Absolutely no idea what a fair replacement would be. One staff member mentioned something about putting some 'Salomon Q85' skis to one side, just in case. Not sure how these compare? (Maybe a question for the equipment section of SnowHeads ... I don't really keep up-to-date with ski gear).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@abj, I don't own skis so haven't pitched in but (according to my gf) the Salomon Q85 is terrible, very soft and sloppy.

No experience of the Salomon Rocker 2, but the fact that the Q85s are half the price on EVO and seem to be significantly different focus of ski, you may be due an argument for a 2015 like for like replacement of your old skis. Clearly the shops fault, and their insurance should cover it anyway.

( http://www.evo.com/skis/salomon-q-85.aspx vs. http://www.evo.com/skis/salomon-rocker2-122.aspx )

EDIT: Wrong skis above as the Rocker 2 90 seems to be out of stock everywhere. Given it looks like it won best on test awards a couple of years ago, I would find the closest thing to that from the 2015 catalogue with good reviews and demand it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You should expect a 2015 like-for-like replacement!
So a 2015 Salomon Rocker 2 or a price matched equivalent.
This will stop you processing a small claims against the shop.
In which case they will probably end up being liable for your costs associated with this kerfuffle and be ordered to pay compensation.
I would not wait any longer on this. The shop can stomach the responsibility of retrieving your old skis because they have had to replace your stolen ones from their stock.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@abj, you don't have to threaten then with small claims courts etc, its reasonable to tell them that you want a like for like replacement, so I'm guessing that would be the rocker 2 100's now - the Q85 are more on piste skis and the rocker seems to be more all mountain skis, and they are more expensive (50% more) than the Q85's

If you like the rocker 2's tell them that you want to stick with the same ski, even if it means that you have to move to the 100 width - if they don't have them in then suggest that they do the hard work of ringing around and get some rather than having to refund you the full price and let you find a replacement.

You should also try to find out what bindings you had on your skis, so you get the equivalent for the replacements, rather than an inferior model.

Good luck, hope you get your skis back, but if you don't then don't settle for less, I'm sure the shop will help you as much as they can but if you are not firm about it then they may fob you off with what they have in stock.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a balls up, I am sure they didn't mean it but on the subject of replacement, would the shop not have a case if they refunded the amount the skis were worth at the time rather than replacing them with new skis? That's what happened when someone ploughed into my car, the insurance company sent me a cheque for the value of the car at the time of the accident.

I hope this gets sorted quick and you get your skis back.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If someone lost my Rocker 2 90 I would go mental.Love them so much...It was rebranded as q90 year ago so that would be natural replacement however I would go by name and request Rocker 2.If they can't provide 90mm go for 100.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd contact Salomon and ask them what is the current equivalent of your missing skis. I'd do that before the shop actually try to give you a new ski so you'll know whether it's a fair deal.
If I was in the shops shoes, I'd be looking to turn this into a positive if possible. That'd mean offering upgrading your skis (not just equivalent) and free sevicing vouchers, goodies, etc. Unfortunately it appears they're going for the bare minimum rather than "above and beyond".
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
adithorp wrote:
I know it's far fetched but cock-ups often are.

Yep mistakes do happen!
I got halfway back to Vancouver when my Son's ski coach called me to let me know he had picked up his skis and had them in his van - slightly strange since I also had my son's skis in the back of my truck Embarassed - call back to said coach who positively identified the ones he had by the name label on them (knew that would come in useful!), followed by a trip back to Whistler to drop the (identical) skis my son had picked up back with guest relations! Thankfully they had the details of the rightful owner and they could be re-united swiftly
(We'd already been to guest relations earlier that day to collect helmet and goggles that he'd left elsewhere! rolling eyes )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stuarth, perhaps your son's ski coach is also responsible in this case.

I know it's far-fetched but...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27 wrote:
@stuarth, perhaps your son's ski coach is also responsible in this case.

I know it's far-fetched but...

only responsible for saving my son from losing his skis and me having to drive even further Little Angel
ski holidays
I think I've found them
snow report
@red 27, alas a little fatter than my 90s. But I have been keeping an eye on eBay myself should they mysteriously turn-up there!
ski holidays
@abj,

Have you checked other sites like Gumtree as well ?
ski holidays
@speed098, I haven't actually - but will do now.

I have to say I keep expecting to get a call from the shop to say the skis my skis have reappeared.
latest report
We had well over 6k of bikes stolen a few years ago. Everyone thought I was mad keep searching the internet but a year down the road found my MTB. and got that back. I am hopeful of eventually finding my De Rosa road bike but not the other two bikes as they are more common. So never give up on the search.
snow conditions
@speed098, got my bike nicked 7 years ago... Still look at every bike i see in edinburgh in case it might be mine.

@abj, time to stop being so nice with them i think and put some pressure on.
ski holidays
Take the demo skis. Don't sign anything or endorse if asked that they won't be returned until your skis or equivalent are returned. Reasonable position if the demo skis are worthwhile (!)
snow report
davidhammy wrote:
What a balls up, I am sure they didn't mean it but on the subject of replacement, would the shop not have a case if they refunded the amount the skis were worth at the time rather than replacing them with new skis? That's what happened when someone ploughed into my car, the insurance company sent me a cheque for the value of the car at the time of the accident.

They would.

But then no one will ever leave their skis for service in that shop if they have to worry about only getting a small cheque when they come to collect it.

Is it safe to assume you don't own a business that has customers? Wink
snow conditions
I have read a lot of these posts and I too have experienced carelessness with my skis by a shop to the extent that they could have easily have been taken by someone else. Mistakes do happen but I would note that in the UK if you make a mistake and take something that is not yours by accident and don't return it when you realise your mistake you commit the offence of theft. While you may not have intended to steal something if on discovering you have mistakenly taken someone else's property you decide to keep that item you are a thief! If they are not at the shop then someone has taken them and if they don't return them then it is theft pure and simple. The shop was negligent and need to replace your skis or pay up for the full retail cost. If they try to say they were worth less because you had used them tell them you will sue for the full cost and do so as publicly as possible. I hope they find your skis but if not demand immediate compensation!
latest report
davidhammy wrote:

I'm not so sure they would. In your insurance case, you have up front agreed that you'll accept a reduced value, and your premium will have been adjusted accordingly (one would hope).

Just because something (even a car) is used and aged, doesn't necessarily mean it's of reduced value.

I'd think in this case, as a new pair of the lost skis are unlikely to be available and that the shop can source for significantly less than the retail price, a new pair of equivalent or better is only fair.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
davidhammy wrote:

I'm not so sure they would. In your insurance case, you have up front agreed that you'll accept a reduced value, and your premium will have been adjusted accordingly (one would hope).

Going way off topic here but I've always wondered about that aspect of car insurance. Understand when it's your fault and a claim on your own comprehensive insurance. But how about in a no fault case (someone crashes into back of you) - you have no agreement with third party's insurers, can you go for a brand new car off them?
ski holidays
Iwouldn't like getting used skis as a replacement for my own used skis - the shop should be making a gesture of goodwill and offer new replacements. Enough time has passed now for it to be reasonable for you to make this request. Explain the sentimental value of your skis. I wouldn't accept ex demos here.
latest report
I still struggle to imagine how this could happen. One thing is to swap skis by mistake but taking an extra pair? Even if the guy had to take back a few pairs, skis are big and heavy enough so getting an extra pair shouldn't go unnoticed. Also a questionable practice by the shop, whenever I had to retrieve skis from a shop they were brought for me by a technician, they also had a tag with my name on them attached, which I had to remove myself. In any case, this is not your problem. I wouldn't accept a used demo skis, unless the skis were identical to the mine and the shop also threw a new pair of bindings into the mix as demo bindings are crap, and still in the future I would stay way from the shop and take my business somewhere where they don't let customers help themselves to whatever they like.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abj, very frustrating for you! Your reaction has been reasoned and moderate, so kudos to you for that.

That said, the shop has now had several days to right their wrong but has not done so. Time to a) become firm/insistent with them and b) out them on here. You never know if another sH knows someone at said shop or even works there, which may get the resolution ball rolling faster.
ski holidays
c) report theft to police.
latest report
Also, it would seem to me that the shop would be behaving entirely different had the miscreant wandered in and lifted a brand new pair from stock, no?
snow report
@Zero_G, @altis, + 1
ski holidays
There has been a development:!

I've just had a call from the shop to say that the skis have been returned!

It seems that the shop managed get hold of the 'mystery customer' on the telephone yesterday - at which stage he claimed he was not aware that he'd picked-up any extra skis. However, he then appeared this morning at the shop to return my skis. (Apparently he didn't stick around long enough for anyone to ask any questions of him!).

I've been offered the princely sum of £50 worth of S&R vouchers in recompense.
snow report
result! Very Happy snowHead
snow report
@abj, good stuff, some people are so stupid!

£50 - hmmm, better tan nothing and better that you got your skis back!
ski holidays
@abj, great news. Given the vouchers you were offered, I guess we all know which shop it is now!!
latest report
@abj, sounds like he nicked them then.....
latest report
...or was just doing the walk of shame, having been adamant they didn't have them on the phone only to find them when they went in to the garage/loft/where-ever to check.

If it was you:
a) Walk in, make a nig fuss of returning them and apologising, have a 15 minute chat and a cup of tea with the store manager, or
b) Nip in, drop the skis, mimble an apology and get out as quick as possible, red-faced and trying to avoid making eye contact with any of the staff as you hear the "That's the prat why picked up an extra pair of skis and didn't notice" gossip spread like wildfire?

All in all abj has their skis back and a £50 voucher, which will cover servicing next year if nothing else.
snow conditions
All's well that ends well... though, I think you deserve some chocolates as well, seeing as they've set a president over on the "security tag thread" wink
snow conditions
Quote:

"security tag thread"

Haven't read that one .. I'll have a look!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy