Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which airport for Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having thought long and hard over where to go for our April 11th week (and with much help from fellow snowheads) we have plumped for Tinges.
We now have to sort flights and have the following options. Liverpool -Geneva, Manchester- Chambery, and Birmingham- Grenoble.

Manchester- Chamber would be best for us but there seem to be a lot of people who have had bad experiences at Chamber.
Liverpool-Geneva would be ok if not for the issue of returning a French hired car back to the airport without incurring a fine for entering Swiss system.

Anyone got any opinions.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Liverpool-Geneva would be ok if not for the issue of returning a French hired car back to the airport without incurring a fine for entering Swiss system.

If hiring a car is much cheaper on the French side, you have two options:

a. buy a Swiss motorway vignette, or

b. drive OFF the Swiss motorways, probably through Geneva. Not difficult, but could encounter traffic delays, depending on the timing.

If there's little difference in the hire cost, hire a Swiss car which will have winter tyres and a vignette and could make the journeys to and from resort simpler.

Geneva is definitely a more reliable airport than Chambery - it's much bigger, it has more sophisticated instrumentation and it doesn't get caught up in French air traffic control strikes, which happen occasionally. But the drive from Chambery is usefully shorter.

So..... your choice. disadvantages either way!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not much point in Birmingham - Grenoble
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is nothing in Pam's post that I can disagree with but by Apr 11 the risks at Chambery regarding weather are less (but not non existent) than in early season. If I were you I would probably plump for Grenoble - but costs (both travel to, flight and travel from) may sway that - so if GNB is the cheapest - go for it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suppose it partly depends on which UK airport is the best for you. If Manchester is a lot easier, do the Chambery flight. It's a shorter drive than Grenoble (which is quite a way from Grenoble, incidentally) or Geneva.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I may have been excessively lucky, but never, ever had a problem with Chambery. It's not always bad! Just remember that if it was consistently awful the airlines would have got fed up with it long before us punters who use it once a season. Worth a punt IMO.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jackfrost, I wouldn't be overly worried about using Chambery in April. The weather is much less likely to get you than in January/February. Also, a lot of the issues with Chambery are due to overcrowding, and in April it will be much quieter. If that's the best flight for you I'd go for it. Birmingham-Grenoble seems like a non-starter to me unless it's significantly cheaper - it's only around half an hour quicker to get to Tignes from Grenoble compared to Geneva, and it sounds like it will be a fair bit more than that for you to get to Birmingham at the other end.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy