Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fractured clavicle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thank you @Jonathan Bell, thats worth knowing!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apology to Jonathan Bell for the mis-quote.

Jonpim wrote:
abc, actually 'twas me wot wrote your quote.
It would be best if patients were able to research their surgeon first, but for many (most?) people, they rely on their GP or a personal reccomendation. Often neither are actually fully informed.

And of course the ACS questions are American based. I wasn't' really interested in questions 4 and 5 - as Jonathan Bell posted, they are largely irrelevant if you are seeing an NHS surgeon - not necessarily quite so irrelevant if you are going Private.

Research and recommendation aren't mutually exclusive. Much of the certification (US or UK equivalent) are public record and can be verified easily on top of a recommendation from GP or friend.

Quote:

But you should get sensible answers to Questions 1, 2 and 3. Questions 1 and 2 should be easy. And these days of regular audit, any good surgeon should know in detail the results of his procedures. I'm sure Mr Bell does. Smile

How "good" a surgeon is, isn't always easy to define. Some surgeons focus more on complex cases, only taking patients by referal of other doctors. Their "success rate" may not be as impressive as the ones who just take random cases of average complexity.

With orthopedic surgeons, I'm even more unsure how does "success" is defined. Granted, a permanent limp after knee surgury is a failure. But if a professional football player gets his knee operated on, "success" will be nothing less than being able to run as fast and kick the footfall as well before the injury, without significant shortening of his professional career. But how to classified the cases where the injury is such there's no way he can perform as before regardless?

Where does that leave the grey area in between when the patients are able to function at a lessor level but not quite as good as before?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well after various attempts to get hold of someone at the Fracture Clinic over the last few weeks I finally got someone on the other end of the phone earlier in the week. I explained that I forgot to ask for a physio referral or exercises to be doing and that my shoulder was sore and stiff so felt I should be doing something to loosen it up. The nurse agreed and advised I call the Consultant's secretary and request a physio referral or exercises to be posted out- Success ...or so I thought!

Secretary finally called me back the other day and said couldn't do either until I am seen again in 3 week's time and wanted to know who gave me that advice! Evil or Very Mad

I know going to a private physio is the obvious answer but that is not an option for me just now

All in all very frustrating!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
8 weeks is far too long to NOT have physio. As Johnathon explained in another thread, you may never recover from the stiffness due to lack of movement in the right time frame.

I don't know how things work in the UK. I'd call the clinic and insist the doctor, not the secretary, make a decision whether physio is NOT needed until 8 weeks time. But if the doctor say so, I guess you're entirely out of luck. At least that way you know the doctor didn't think physio is that important. rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy