Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anselme Baud book of death, on Amazon £2.49

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just noticed that the out of print guide book,
Chamonix - Mont Blanc and the Aiguilles Rouges - a Guide for Skiers: Travel Guide by Anselme Baud
Is on Amazon, as a kindle edition for £2.49. Can't imagine taking my ipad skiing though.
Thought I'd post this, as this, as a book is very hard to come by.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can, of course, print the ebook using tools such as ePubConverter to make it a PDF and just take the relevant pages with you...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dsoutar, thanks for the tip. With the increasing amount of safety and touring gear I'm acquiring, space in my suitcase is at a premium. I tore the pages out of my Cham off piste book for the routes I thought I might do this trip – sacrilege, I know, but I have to be pragmatic.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

sacrilege, I know, but I have to be pragmatic.

absolutely in the best tradition of exploration. I can't remember which book, but I read one where the explorer was using all the irrelevant pages as toilet paper.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry if this is somewhat upsetting with you having already trashed your book but don't you have access to a copier ? I do it all the time for stuff that I only have in print, especially hardback
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hopefully most people would read the guide book / map at home ?
And familiarise themselves thoroughly with the route the night BEFORE they go.....

The Anselme Baud book is a great coffee table book. Astonishing extreme ski book (written by incredible skier / mountain guide).
Though I honestly think most "normal" skiers / tourists would find better selection of skiing and routes in the 2 VAMOS books ?
There is one for off piste and another for ski tours.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I love this book and wish I'd looked after mine a little better. I don't aspire to most of the routes, but each route description is accompanied by a little story from Bauds life or the life of one of the pioneers. I do agree with @Haggis_Trap, that there are now some more practical guides around to the non extreme routes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Though I honestly think most "normal" skiers / tourists would find better selection of skiing and routes in the 2 VAMOS books ?

There is one for off piste and another for ski tours.

Agree completely. I have the Baud book and the Vamos touring guide. Baud's book sort of taunts you by slipping in few routes you might consider among lots that you almost certainly shouldn't! Great read though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Baud book is for wusses. Proper suicidal maniacs refer to the Toponeige Mt Blanc guide Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arno, Not being in the first flush of youth, I have a couple of guidelines when choosing a day touring route.
-the down should be more than the up.
-the up should ideally be no more than 1000m
Plus one from the movie the untouchables, where Sean Connery as the old police sergeant tells Elliot Ness that his first rule of policing was, "at the end of the shift, go home alive".

In the back of the toponeige book are some handy lists, routes by area, routes by grade, and routes by total accent, I realised that there weren't too many that met the guidelines.
Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jbob thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy