Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Book On Ski Touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.pesdapress.com/Land-Technical/c1_29/p62/Ski-Touring/product_info.html

I haven't read this but it certainly comes from an expert.
Also Alison Culshaw is a very good downhill instructor.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The book is actually written by Bruce Goodlad a British Mountain Guide with input from Alison - yes, a very good ski instructor.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reading it right now, let you know what I think when I'm finished but so far very good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@OwenM, it is currently pre-order in the UK. If you don't mind me asking where can you currently buy it?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I ordered it from Pesda press last weekend and it arrived mid-week.

Covers everything you'd expect what to take, downhill skiing, uphills, weather, avalanches, glaciers, navigation and planning. There's also a guide to a few selected tours to get you started. Everything is explained as straight forwardly and simply as possible without any over-hyping. Some of the photo's are a bit small and I couldn't always see what they were trying to show but other than that small grip an excellent book.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OK. I pre-ordered, was given an estimate of 4th April and it had arrived before I got back to the UK! That's a pleasant surprise.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Reading this on the plane I think they've done a good job. Clearly set out and organised, it flows easily, is very sensible in terms of its recommendations and picks up on the little things that help make a good day/trip. In that sense it is more experience-based than a technical manual and, therefore, doesn't try to teach ski touring from a book but tries to add to what you will know/experience. It's a bonus for me that they're Chamonix-based and makes the examples really easy to relate to. Agree, it is hard to convey everything in a short chapter, especially the downhill skiing as skiing can never be taught from a book. Readers could do worse than book time with Allison, as she is so good with people and time with her is always a great long term investment.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy