Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol Experience 84 vs Dynastar Powertrack 79 for improver

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all! so I'm an 'improver' skier- I'm an accomplished snowboarder/splitboarder and am trying to quickly ramp up the skiing skills so I can enjoy the pistes (in all conditions) and also do some freeriding and touring on skis. I live in the Alps, so have regular access to all types of terrain. I have some 100mm+ 168cm touring / freeride skis, which are great skis, but now I'm specifically looking at something more piste-orientated that I can develop my overall skills on, specifically carving, progressing safely to steeper terrain etc, speeding up overall skiing in all conditions etc. I would like a ski that isn't too stiff, but also isn't going to flap about when things get a bit steeper / faster.

I am 170cm tall (c5 foot 7) and weigh 65kg (c10stone), so am relatively small and light.

I've got a fair idea of what I think would work (eg. not too stiff.......yet not too soft that I only use it for one season......not too much of a pure carving ski), and have narrowed it down to:

Dynastar Powertrack 79 in 166cm (link here) and Rossignol Experience 84 in 162cm (link here)

Any ideas? Has anyone tried any of these, or have any opinion on how they may be? Might 166cm be a bit long for a piste-orientated ski? Unfortunately I won't be able to test them.

The Rossignol has certainly got a fair few positive reviews out there........but am concerned it might be a bit stiff however, and also might not be rockered enough at the front to be as fun.

Thanks for any input!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
May I also suggest the Fischer Motive 80? Great allround ski for carving on-piste and in all type of (less than 20 cm) soft snow and bumps. Forgiving yet stable, with a good low-ish entry evel and it will serve you up to advanced/expert leven. Great deals too. Have seen them for 324 euro, ex shipping on german web shops: http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4572474_-motive-80-2015-fischer-sports.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The experience is a good intermediate plus ski. They were the first hire skis I had that really felt like they made a difference and helped me to improve a huge amount in the week I was on them.

I would even suggest going narrower - down to the 76mm width given that you already have some 100mm to play on. You might find it interesting to see what the difference between wide / narrow is, especially if you want to get into the whole edge to edge thing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, thanks a lot for the input so far.....that's a fair idea about going a bit narrower, as yes I do indeed have the wide option already
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski'd on the Rossi Exp '84 a couple of years ago so a previous model and found them rather heavy and unresponsive, the newer ones might be lighter. Ski'd on the powertrack 79 a few weeks ago in La Plagne and really enjoyed them however... I'm about 105kg, and 10cm taller than you and quite a bit more experienced (on skis) so what works for me may not for you. that said, I had a pair of 176s (I think) and they were very good on piste doing fast, long carves. great edge grip, no noticeable flapping at speed, inspired a lot of confidence. I did swap with a mate to his 166s for a morning, as he wanted to try the longer ones, and hated them - their radius is 3-4m shorter than the longer ones and I found them too "poppy" i.e. wanted to make far tighter turns than I wanted to! They're very piste-oriented for an "all-mountain" ski if you ask me.

Anyway, I'd say they're very good skis for someone looking to for what you want - I'd try before you buy though which should be easy for you living in the alps - every rental shop in La Plagne had stacks of them so they seem to be the rental workhorse this season...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied Rossi Experience 84's this year, I did not find them as forgiving as the Experience 83's I have used for a couple of previous years, which flattered me. Or maybe I was not skiing as well. Didn't find that they carved as well and also found that they did not hold an edge as well. I suspect that the balance has shifted a bit toward off piste performance, which being a poor year did not get tested.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DavidYacht, or maybe they weren't as well serviced?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
@DavidYacht, or maybe they weren't as well serviced?

Fair point, though to my untrained eye they looked to be in good nick.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy