Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker KingPin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I'm looking at maybe, a big maybe, changing binding, and was looking at the Marker KingPin. At the moment, I am on Dukes, which I really enjoy on the down and when playing around on piste etc. The obvious issues of weight and lifting the whole binding frame when touring is the main reason for looking to change. I wouldn't do huge tours, mainly 1.5-2.5 hours most times to get to some decent new snow.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience, thoughts or second hand info.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There seem to be a lot of problems with the pins falling out.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, have not heard about that but you're closer to the "talk" than me !

I'm not surprised though as it seems all first generation bindings seem to have teething problems.

I was impressed with them and did a fair number of hours on them and more than one binding.

Maybe best to wait for the next revamp of the model then?

I'm using second generation Vipecs and I've heard that even the second generation have problems but both me and the Mrs have clocked up a fair amount of hours and vertical on them so far this season.

And yesterday I was skiing hard fast icy corduroy piste (waiting for the snow to transform) with them on my light Powdairs and two buckle Salomon MTB lab Explorer boot and they were fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marker have fixed the problem, but I suspect that some of the first generation bindings are still with retailers. If you're buying from a bricks and mortar shop you can check that you have the modified version by using the photos in this blog post...

https://www.wildsnow.com/15495/marker-kingpin-toe-pins-possibly-loosen/

Unfortunately you can't check for the modified toe pins when buying online.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. It does seem like a good binding...if they get the toe issue sorted. Will wait and see I suppose
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe there are other issues with the Kingpin as well to do with compatibility with different boots. I'm not expecting to see my stock order until next season.

I'll stock them for those that can't have a Dynafit (ie hole conflicts or BD Factor boot users etc) but the rotating toe elasticity of the Dynafit B16/B14/Rad 2's is waaaay ahead of the Kingpin.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, that's weird what you say about Dynafit and BD Factors, I've been as have two others, and one you know well, been using Fators and Dynafit for the last three seasons!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
@spyderjon, that's weird what you say about Dynafit and BD Factors, I've been as have two others, and one you know well, been using Fators and Dynafit for the last three seasons!

Sorry, let me clarify. Factors are fine with all the Dynafit models (inc the new Radical 2's) except for the Beast 14 & 16 as the Factors rear heel insert fixing locations are not compatible with the Dynafit Power Inserts that have to be fitted to the boot heels to operate the Beast bindings. The Kingpin is a competitor (weight/price etc) to the Beast models as opposed to the Radical 2. It is possible to modify the heels of the Factors so that the Power Insert fits but Dynafit will not warrant the bindings with their use. The Salomon Quest boot is also not compatible with the Beast 14 & 16 as if you fall during skinning the bulbous nose of the boot can unlock the binding which is not ideal when the brakes are locked up. The Quests are perfectly fine with the Beasts when skiing but if I was using them I'd attached a leash when skinning.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, thanks for the clarification !

Though from what I heard, the price point of the KingPin is going to be far less than the Beast which makes it a far more economic purchase??

Looking around that might not be the case ???

By the way with J Bingham in Gressoney for a few days Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, The 15/16 list prices for next season are:

Radical 2 ST £380
Radical 2 FT £410
Kingpin 10 £450
Kingpin 13 £475
Beast 14 £480

Say hi to JB for me. Make sure you get a spin on his Ranger CL's/Rad ST's if your boot will fit.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, strange that about the rrp as in Austria had a long chat with the actual designer of it and he talked about how it was going to be priced well below Dynafit and a few retailers were moaning how there was not a good margin in it for them Crying or Very sad

Maybe they've revisited that and or the Pound / Euro has changed things, but you would have thought for the better ?

And skis with skins on don't tend to slide downhill even with brakes locked up rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As I understand, the problem is a boot manufacturer has designed their new boot which does not comform to the AT norm as the heel lug is undersized which potentially makes it incompatible with many touring bindings.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gsb wrote:
As I understand, the problem is a boot manufacturer has designed their new boot which does not comform to the AT norm as the heel lug is undersized which potentially makes it incompatible with many touring bindings.

That's a new one then as apart from the toe pin issue they'd had issues the toe binding was releasing when in walk mode due to differing toe shapes between boot make/models. Dynafit have had 30 years doing this & they've not been perfect so it's no wonder new entrants to the market are struggling. It doesn't help the newbies that all the obvious/best solutions are patented to Dynafit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@spyderjon,

And skis with skins on don't tend to slide downhill even with brakes locked up rolling eyes

They slide pretty well with the front of the ski pointing downhill.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy