Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dont ever get a video of yourself skiing !

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
no video unfortunatly...new skis are Scotts 'the ski' and they are smoother and esier to ski than my X wing 10's... felt a lot more relaxed, i'm away for two weeks but will get a video done to i can show before and after !!!
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had the reverse experience. Someone I was with shot some stuff from behind and it was a few seconds before I realised it was me, looking strangely graceful, in control and with good angulation. I'm still not convinced it wasn't someone wearing the same gear as me !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Funnily enough the first time I saw myself skiing on video (on a day trip with Whistler heliski about 15 years ago) I was pleasantly surprised - I looked pretty much how I saw myself in my minds eye. Not perfect or anything but at least I was delusional! I did notice a couple of little ticks and mannerisms which had been mentioned to me before and I was better able to modify them after seeing them in motion.

I know not everyone has this experience and I think it is very symptomatic of how people learn. I have been able to pick up a lot by watching and copying. But to do that you need to a) identify what good skiers do and b) accurately copy it. If you don't have a clear idea of what your body is actually doing without seeing it on camera then b) is pretty much impossible and you need a lot of feedback, i.e., instruction.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think when you're trying to work on some particular drill to improve your skiing, like, for example, tipping your skis on edge more, you have to really, really exaggerate it before it even shows up on video. But I know that's a good thing, really, however demoralising it is at first (and it certainly is) - what you feel is generally quite deceptive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
J2R wrote:
... - what you feel is generally quite deceptive.
I think a better way to describe what you feel is subtle rather than deceptive. Providing we are not gripped by fear, I think we are well tuned in to the feelings and forces that we generate when we ski. This is a good thing as it allows us to make subtle changes as we ski.. But can act against us if we think we are getting thrown around completely by the snow and terrain (even though we are skiing within complete control).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I suspect I would be disappointed if I saw myself on video as my husband always describes me as "Stable". Hmm.

I did try getting my Dad to video myself and hubby when we went together one year, when we looked at his footage he had video a bloke and his kid comig down the slopes. Admittedly that was before he had his Cateracts operation but he was driving then - very scary.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
I think a better way to describe what you feel is subtle rather than deceptive. Providing we are not gripped by fear, I think we are well tuned in to the feelings and forces that we generate when we ski. This is a good thing as it allows us to make subtle changes as we ski.

Maybe deceptive isn't the word. But when you're working on angulation for carving those turns and, you feel, wow, that must be nearly a 90 degree angle now between your thighs and your upper body!...no it isn't, you're probably still nearly bolt upright, as seen on video Smile.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

when you're working on angulation for carving those turns and, you feel, wow, that must be nearly a 90 degree angle now between your thighs and your upper body!...no it isn't, you're probably still nearly bolt upright, as seen on video

I agree with this - had exactly that experience! I remember a lesson doing some pole planting, prior to a session trying to ski moguls. The instructor made us really exaggerate the movement, making exactly that point. He filmed it and we didn't look nearly as daft as we'd felt. I remember the reaction of my OH when I filmed him in what he fondly imagined was a low racing tuck..... He sometimes tried to video me but usually got the "on and off" toggle wrong and mainly filmed the floor.

Quote:

my husband always describes me as "Stable".
A Scottish instructor (himself fairly elderly) once described my sister and me as "spry". Talking it over afterwards she and I both agreed that this was a word we would only use about elderly people. And that was years ago - I wasn't elderly then!

I can vouch for video feedback with rob@rar - exceptionally useful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
A Scottish instructor (himself fairly elderly) once described my sister and me as "spry".

What, Crisp and Dry, you mean ?

http://youtube.com/v/kASKYAmZMlU
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PaulC1984 wrote:
Quote:

@Paul100, Well ive not seen a video of myself, so I can only go off what people said on the S11BB

same thing for me on the s.x tape front.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suspect the slopes look flatter because they are not really as steep as one imagines. Most of the snapshots I take look fairly close to how steep the slopes are. Here's an example of a descent just behind my house.

What is looks like from above

what it looks like from the side

if you look above the skier the slope is a bit over 40 degrees, maybe 45 degrees in the crux below the skier

Making a turn in the crux, slope around 45 degrees

the main problem with the crux is there is a 250 meter vertical drop just below, which concentrates the mind a bit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy