Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time for a new board but what's gimmicky and what works

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I love my option boards and I've had a few over the years and when they went out of business I held onto my remaining board as long as possible. As a result I've missed out on the new wave of technology that's evolved in boards over recent years.
It's time for me to start looking for a new board. The last time I was looking was a few years ago when Lib Tech were all the talk of town with their skate banana . My question is this? Has that technology been built on and embraced by other manufacturers? Or is it gimmicky ? I'm ready for a new board but not sure whaats hype and what's the real deal.
I'm after an all rounder all terrain. My days in the park are over and I seldom see powder. Any pointers .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely not a gimmick. More horses for courses. My riding was transformed when I switched to a board with camber under foot and rocker in the middle. Much more forgiving than a straight cambered board of similar stiffness. I don't ride much park either but do like to mess around riding switch and popping 1s & 3s if the opportunity presents itself. Some people don't like the feeling of centre rocker when riding flat and it took a little while to get used too. Staying on edge helps as does keeping weight forward when flat. I find that the rocker gives float in powder and helps when in moguls and tight trees. I've now got a CRC board for messing about, a RCR board for freeride and my old cambered board as a rock board. (Not happy when riding old faithful as I feel much more confident on the other two).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed it's not gimmicky, although the marketing blurb does big it up a little bit too much. In my view, the tech hasn't changed / developed that much in last 5 years.

On a recent boys trip, we swapped boards around, between Roma Anthem, Bataleon The Jam and a Salomon (can't remember what model). We could all ride each others boards, however we were pleased to get our own boards back - I guess it's what you're used to.

If you can get down to the TSA, then they have demo boards you can ride to get a feel (as much as you can on a 150m slope) for what tech works for you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Adding to the question above.

At what point would you recommend a intermediate that goes 2-3 weeks a year to the mountains to buy a board ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gnave, immediately. Today. Seriously, why are you here reading my drivel when you could be buying almost any snowboard which'll be better than the plank of laminated cap-constructed nastiness you'll get tossed in a standard European resort rental shop, normally with a mismatched set of Burton Freestyle bindings screwed to it; only to be asked if you want insurance with a board which has about as much residual value as a smashed shipping pallet.*

*ok I accept that decent rental opportunities may exist somewhere, but most stuff is a mix of low-end Burton stuff or Head crapola
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways Fair enough Smile can you please direct me on how to start my quest for the perfect board this is not going to break the bank.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gnave, tell us about your riding. What do you like? Are you a speed freak, powder hound, gib monkey, park rat, all-round...err...armadillo???
Are you Male/Female - height/weight/bootsize? Whats your experience riding like?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To cut a long story short i had bad foot and back injury (not snowboard related) this made take a very very long break. when i started boarding again last year it felt as if i had to re-educate my self about basic stance, sitting down in to my board and lean fwd to my front foot that is now switched (i had to change to my stronger leg after the injury)

A lot of the terms don't mean much to me. i am 36 male who has been lifting weights for many years. i am 6 feet tall and about 190 pounds. and 8.5 uk size foot
i consider myself all-rounder who likes to go with his friends two weeks of the year. mostly on piste, i do like speed but i prefer working on good Technic and looking like a pro rather then messy rider.

Consider the cost of new boards etc. i was wondering if its worth it while i still getting my skills sharpened etc
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Answer last question first - yes. If you've got an old persistent injury and you're just coming back to it I'd say yes, go get some tuition - even if it's just as a bit of a brightener and building confidence in your new riding technique.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that.

I think this year i will get my own boots at first, Board can wait until after my next trip.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First things: Boots. If you've not got your own yet then this is where you should spend the biggest chunk of your budget. Don't know what your injury is and whether you'd benefit from a firmer boot for support or a softer one for comfort, but you probably want to look for something with a zone-tightening system so you can tighten them up progressively in different areas so you can control where the pressure in the boot is. If your back is not great then you may want to look at speed lacing systems or maybe Boa lacing so you're not having to bend too much for too long to adjust your boots when you're on the hill.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Reverse cambered *skis* are a big deal for powder, but the snowboards haven't really had the same success. I've not noticed novice snowboarders doing better on reverse camber in powder. It mostly kind of came and went.

I have an early Fish which is way better than any of the Fish from the reverse / mixed camber years, and I did ride them all. So I'd not be too bothered about technology unless you're riding race gear, which has changed rather more.

Rent until you know what you want, and try a range of design approaches - the key is to ride what works best for you. You don't need to rent garbage, at least not in North America.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy