Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy 14/15

Poster: A snowHead
Webcams showing lots of green fields and no snow cannons running. The tourist office still have opening day as a week tomorrow (13th) which I would think is a bit optimistic.? Does anyone on the ground have any thoughts?
We're out New Year week but I know a lot of people go for Christmas week. I remember a few years back it being pretty thin early December but not sure it was quite this sparse! Forecast seems to be for some snow towards the back end of next week but I would imagine they could do with a really good heavy fall to get things going especially for the off piste.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
out there NY week too, opening next weekend will be highly unlikely i would think.

with not much snow below 2500m, might be lucky to get a few m of vertical off the top lift and hike down!!!!!! LOL

closest you ll get to off piste will be a video in the Iceberg
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero in resort at the moment. No cause for panic just yet though. No snow in resort in the first week of December is almost normal - maybe 50% of my 8 seasons in resort. Opening in time for Christmas week is usually a bit skin-of-the-teeth, but always seems to work out just in time. I think opening on the 13th is unlikely. Maybe if they go for cannon mayhem next week they might be able to open nursery slopes & first lift. There are cannons on the Arpettaz too, but I don't think there are enough to open the 2nd lift with cannon snow alone.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stevomcd, hope you're right, we've booked a weeks afternoon off piste course with Snocool for the New Year week. Looking like we might have been a bit optimistic!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@philipb, do you mind me asking about your course with Snocool? Is it a group course, and if so, what's the standard? The reason I ask is my husband will be out that week and is looking for something like that. I skied with Dmitri from Snocool last year who was fantastic.

Unfortunately I can't ski off piste this time because I'm recovering from a broken leg.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Maireadoconnor, I think it is intermediate ish level! I spoke to Misha at Snocool saying I was looking for lessons for myself and 2 children (15 & 12) who are reasonably advanced and she suggested this.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2011 was similar, remember seeing green webcams until about 48 hours before arrival......THEN

it started snowing and didn t really stop all week!!!!!

too much snow, only first two lifts open most of the week.......be careful what you wish for!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @philipb, maybe I'll get in touch with them
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking a bit prettier on the webcams now although probably only a dusting of snow on the ground. I see the Tourist Office still have opening down as this weekend, still seems a bit optimistic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking forward to Christmas, as long as the kids can learn to ski I will be happy. Plenty more weeks in the season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh yes roll on jan 17th
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spoke to lift pass office today. Still sticking to Saturday opening, but will take a decision on Thursday. They are optimistic of some snow on Thursday followed by heavy snow on Saturday. Otherwise, the cannons are running and they will try to get something open.

If the decision is taken not to open on Saturday, it will be reviewed every 48 hours.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stevomcd, That's some good news, let's hope they are right.

Out of pure desperation, I am now reviewing St Foy as well as Val (off to Val D on 20th) with some hope of a positive outlook Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DISCOUNT ALERT! Very Happy

For anybody fancying a day out at St Foy from another resort in the Tarentaise there are discount vouchers on the back of the till receipts from Super U in Bourg St Maurice. This year the discount is available on Weds, Sats and Sun, price €20.50 vice €29.50. Bon Ski!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ESF in Sainte Foy are having a meeting tonight where they will find out if the lifts will open... Not sounding promising.
ski holidays
@timlongs, looking at the webcams today I can't see them opening at the weekend. Bad news for anyone going out but I guess it gives them a bit more time to prepare for Christmas opening, although forecast doesn't look promising even for then at the moment.
We're not out till the 28th but I must admit I'm starting to wonder what will be available, think we'll hold off on buying the lift pass!
snow report
@philipb, I love Sainte Foy so the sooner it dumps the better! Where are you staying out there?
ski holidays
@timlongs, Yes it's great, we've been a couple of times but missed it last year. We're self catering in Etoile des Cimes. We have an afternoon off-piste course booked with Snocool but without some decent snow in the next couple of weeks I think that might be looking doubtful.
snow report
Any news?? as were in a very busy Tignes (3000 stuents & almost no lifts open) I have car will travel, looking for a trip there this weekend. Not looking hopeful but it is snowing in Tignes as we speak.
latest report
Cptsideways wrote:
Any news?? as were in a very busy Tignes (3000 stuents & almost no lifts open) I have car will travel, looking for a trip there this weekend. Not looking hopeful but it is snowing in Tignes as we speak.

From the rumours its a 48 hour delay in opening. If it doesn't open in 48 hours its another 48 hour delay, then repeat the process of 48 hour delays til the resort opens.
snow report
Yes, 48 hour delay. They have made a lot of snow with the cannons and are hoping to get open soon, running the Grand Plan and Arpettaz lifts, with the Arpettaz & Charmettes pistes plus the nursery slopes.
ski holidays
Cptsideways wrote:

Only 1 lift was closed in Tignes today, the cable car. Still more uplift capability than St Foy wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Still more uplift capability than St Foy wink

Yeah, but it's not the size, it's what you do with it....
ski holidays
been to set foy every year for the last 10 never failed to deliver snow in january sometimes a bit sketchy before christmas, but hay we've all been blessed with snow before christmas over the last few years,should never take mother nature for granted,but lets hope it all changes soon,merry christmas to you all. HB
latest report
Tourist Office website now saying opening 20/12.
latest report
i saw that earlier but that info is on a link to skiinfo.fr and wondered if that was a typo based on last years opening date
ski holidays
@stefoy4me, I don't think so. Up till yesterday the site was showing 13/12 as opening date (not that I've been obsessing about it of course!)
latest report
How's it looking? I see the Bashers have moved the cannon snow around at the bottom. Doesn't look like much new snow on the horizon....I'm out for NY and it's getting to squeaky bum time now!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
looks like a piste now......or a white ribbon of one anyway. sure better than looking at green grass.

fingers crossed, i m out for NY and a tad nervous too,
snow conditions
They're still expecting to get open on Saturday, running 2 lifts with cannon snow on the Arpettaz and Charmettes runs, plus the nursery slopes. Not great, but a whole lot better than nothing.
snow report
the two lifts being the first 2 chairs ? or first chair + magic carpet by the first chair ?
snow report
First 2 chairs (plus the 2 magic carpets).
snow report
@BiG_tYrOnE, @stefoy4me, I'm out New Year week too, but I'm broken and can't ski, so the snow conditions are a bit academic for me Crying or Very sad

I'll be spending most of my week propping up the bar somewhere. Want to join me at some point?
ski holidays
we ll be in the Iceberg probably at lunchtimes and la Coeur or Apres after
ski holidays
I'll probably be running backwards and forwards across the resort with a pale face and a general look of barely controlled panic / murderous rage.
snow conditions
stevo, my friends are staying with you at NY
snow conditions
@stefoy4me, as are we!

Don't stress on our behalf, @stevomcd, we won't be hassling you. We will be bringing a festive bottle of Lagavulin, so if it all gets too much, pop round for a restorative dram Happy
snow report
Given the current forecast I wonder if there is much chance of any more lifts being open by New Year week? With just two lifts running it's going to be pretty busy and not a lot of fun on thin crowded pistes. I guess the top runs don't benefit from snow cannons so will be pretty thin.
Any recommendations for best places to visit locally? We'll have a car, La Rosiere, Tignes and Villaroger (if open) all look pretty easy to get to.

I'm still hoping for things to change as we would much rather stay skiing in Ste Foy all week.
snow report
philipb......exact same dilema.

We too have a car fortunately, so will most likely be up to Val or Tignes, but thats going to be busy, NY is a peak week and with the whole area unlikley to be open there either i can imagine long lift queues and busy pistes.

perhaps we might get lucky and get a dump before the 28th which is first day skiing!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
@stefoy4me, Yes, fingers crossed, things could still change (although I've been thinking that for a couple of weeks now). I think everywhere is likely to be pretty busy but the webcams in Val, Les Arcs and La Rosiere do look a bit more hopeful than the Ste Foy ones do!
If it stays like this we'll put off getting a week pass and take it day by day.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy