Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride tour & extreme skiing - ugly or majestic?

Poster: A snowHead
@speed098, we will go and find some terrain next month and you can show me how it's done. Which skis will you be bringing ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
8611 wrote:
...Check out this go pro offering, powder I know, but the best skiing is actually when he's on the piste.

following chris from julien regnier
https://vimeo.com/34963263

Got to say I think those muppets with gopro need a good talking to. I was getting concerned with their abuse of piste safety then my jaw dropped that they left the two collision incidents in the film !

Its morons like this that I want off the mountain, and preferably put in charge of a mcdonalds floor mop for the rest of their careers.

When will these gopro idiots learn that we can all see which way they are looking...and it certainly isn't looking out for other mountain users.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lampbus wrote:
8611 wrote:
...Check out this go pro offering, powder I know, but the best skiing is actually when he's on the piste.

Got to say I think those muppets with gopro need a good talking to. I was getting concerned with their abuse of piste safety then my jaw dropped that they left the two collision incidents in the film !

Its morons like this that I want off the mountain, and preferably put in charge of a mcdonalds floor mop for the rest of their careers.

When will these gopro idiots learn that we can all see which way they are looking...and it certainly isn't looking out for other mountain users.

You mean the one incident from 2 angles where he gets run into from behind!? In what world was that his fault?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lampbus wrote:
8611 wrote:

Sorry, what?!

It was one collision, shown from different angles. They didn't cause the collision, the dude hit THEM from behind.

Where was the 'abuse of piste safety??!!' I didn't see any...

Also I assume you do know who Julien Regnier is?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, I see now it is the same incident from 2 angles. Both angles show what a complete twits the goproers are.

Having performed a trick he enters a narrow piste at 1:06, swinging completely across its width. Both skiers fail to look to see if a faster skier is there (which is likely - it is a flattish part where other skiers would be expected to be maintaining a bit of pace)

Then at 1:13, having drifted to the hard right of the piste, he slows and makes a sudden switch across to hit his jump - again without any check that you or I may be cruising past.

They also fail to have a spotter for the landing. You or I could be there.

There is a cut, then he enters the lower narrow piste on it's right (at 1:24 and heads directly across to the left side of the piste forcing the skier on the piste to collide. He leaves no space for the skier in black to go.

Why ? Because all thy are interested in is hitting the feature, then looking for the next one. You & I never even enter their tiny minds.

Both of these are directly against the FIS rules 1, 2, 5 and 6. ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2003923 )

The skier who collided with goprofool1 was obliged to apply rule 4, but in reality, where was he expected to go ? He had the snowploughing skier to avoid, and this idiot just joins the piste and forces him across to the left.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't care who Julien Regnier is he skis like an fool and I don't want him anywhere near me on or off piste thank you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lampbus wrote:
I don't care who Julien Regnier is he skis like an fool and I don't want him anywhere near me on or off piste thank you.

I think you're safe – he's unlikely to be skiing the grumpy old man zone wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lampbus wrote:

Where does he ski like a fool though? I don't see anything where they're not in full control. As you'd expect from one of the best skiers in the world...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also, around 1:58 he takes a stupid line down the bumpy piste cutting directly in front two 'less accomplished' skiers - there were a few rules broken there.

Judging by this video, they are examples of skiers who are all arrogance and have only narrow understanding and skills.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@clarky999, but he is not in control...if he was, he would have never collided with the other slope user !

Would you step, totally sober, balanced and in control directly into the path of a bus and claim it was all the bus driver's fault ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lampbus wrote:
Also, around 1:58 he takes a stupid line down the bumpy piste cutting directly in front two 'less accomplished' skiers - there were a few rules broken there.

Judging by this video, they are examples of skiers who are all arrogance and have only narrow understanding and skills.

Laughing Laughing

Yes, an ex-Olympic mogul skier is incapable of safely skiing a mogul piste and passing within a 2-3 metres of an almost stationary skier Laughing

There were no rules broken. Remember this is filmed with an old GoPro with a fisheye lens. There was a good 2-3 metres distance between them, and as the other skiers were moving very slowly there was no way they'd get in his way. And he has the skills to move aside if necessary...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 22-03-15 19:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe he was guilty of not looking enough when joining the piste, but the guy behind him should have seen him coming a mile off. Anyhow, I am sure there's another thread for grumpy old people who think young people are hooligans, this one is about grumpy old people who think there should be more mincey short turns in freeride comps Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lampbus wrote:
@clarky999, but he is not in control...if he was, he would have never collided with the other slope user !

Would you step, totally sober, balanced and in control directly into the path of a bus and claim it was all the bus driver's fault ?

Er, he didn't collide with them. He difted towards the side of the piste - as the downhill skier that's his prerogative. A less skilled skier came too fast form behind and hit him. I assume you're familiar with the bit of the FIS code thingy which says downhill skier has right of way?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zero_G, Smile

But actually, I am happy if he want's to go and kill himself on an Alaskan peak, so long as he isn't in Val Thorens for the EoSB on or off piste, where I won't be grumpy. Or old.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lampbus wrote:
@speed098, we will go and find some terrain next month and you can show me how it's done. Which skis will you be bringing ?

I will be bringing some Volkl P60 SL 160cm and some Volkl Speedwall GS 193cm skis ( if I get some bindings in time or fit my old ESS VAR to them ).

I have no off-piste skis at all.

But we do have the demo skis wink

If my back and knees hold out then yes I will give it a try as this will be my first trip in almost 18yrs.

And forgot to add after 17yrs out of the sport and less than 1 yr back I won't dare try and show anyone how it is done. I will see how I am, hopefully I can get to do some off-piste but will be done carefully and sensibly Shocked ( well I hope for the first time I might be able to do that ).
snow report
@clarky999, the downhill skier has right of way, but like stepping in front of a bus, NEEDS to apply rule 1...that is why there is a rule 1, which comes first.

'Drifted' ? he crossed the piste in under 3 seconds ! If he had simply glanced, like he was obliged to by a whole load of rules + any sense, he would have known the skier was there and provided a bit more room. FFS he is a pro, he doesn't need a whole piste - he is in control right ?

Think how you would react as the approaching skier in black. You would see this chap joining the piste, possibly admired the backflip. You think he is going to ski on down the right, possibly stop to join his following mate...so you continue to ski to the right, giving him some room. But the idiot just keeps coming across. faced with a drop to the left you cant turn anywhere - it's all over in 3 seconds.

Consideration for other skiers is paramount rule 1. Why cut in front of other skiers when you can drop past behind them - or even better on the 40 metres of slope off the the left where there is no one. That would demonstrate proper control, not buzzing less experienced skiers for thrills.
latest report
@speed098, I see you are a Volkl fan. So am I Very Happy
snow report
lampbus wrote:
@clarky999, the downhill skier has right of way, but like stepping in front of a bus, NEEDS to apply rule 1...that is why there is a rule 1, which comes first.

'Drifted' ? he crossed the piste in under 3 seconds ! If he had simply glanced, like he was obliged to by a whole load of rules + any sense, he would have known the skier was there and provided a bit more room. FFS he is a pro, he doesn't need a whole piste - he is in control right ?

Think how you would react as the approaching skier in black. You would see this chap joining the piste, possibly admired the backflip. You think he is going to ski on down the right, possibly stop to join his following mate...so you continue to ski to the right, giving him some room. But the idiot just keeps coming across. faced with a drop to the left you cant turn anywhere - it's all over in 3 seconds.

Consideration for other skiers is paramount rule 1. Why cut in front of other skiers when you can drop past behind them - or even better on the 40 metres of slope off the the left where there is no one. That would demonstrate proper control, not buzzing less experienced skiers for thrills.

It was a narrow piste - a cat track... How slow would you have to be going to take longer than 3 secs? And yes, he was going sideways, so drifted.

A pedestrian stepping in front of a bus doesn't have priority. Stupid analogy.

As the approaching skier. You give someone room and they keep coming across and you run out of room? Stop. Simples. Same applies if it's a beginner snowploughing drifting across in front of you. Can't do a hockey stop that quickly and in time on a flat cat track? You're skiing too fast for your skills.

Yes, he could have looked first. But the skier behind should have been able to avoid him. It wasn't exactly high speed.

He's skiing fall line moguls. That's how you do it. How close he is is exaggereated by the camera. He didn't cut them up - they didn't have to take any action to avoid a collision. Equally not 'buzzing' in my book. You think he wouldn't have been able to hop over another mogul to the left if he actually had got too close to someone?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 22-03-15 20:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
lampbus wrote:
@speed098, I see you are a Volkl fan. So am I Very Happy

I think I am the Volkl version of Blackpool rock, cut me open and it still says Volkl inside Laughing

Though I do love the Kneissl redstar and really hope they have the whitestar SL at the demo. ( Doubt there will be anythin from the race stock from Volkl there if any Volkl at all Sad ).
latest report
But I have better things to do tonight than argue about whether someone who skis better than anyone on this forum can negotiate some bumpy pistes without endangering others wink
snow report
Pedestrian=idiotgoprolout; Bus=skier on piste. The bus analogy is perfect - if idiot skis into the road, in control, and didn't look out for the bus, then it is the idiot's fault when the bus hits him.

The priority rule only applies if both skier and idiot are aware of each other and can apply the rule. But the first rule applies first.

If the skier had been forced over the edge and crashed, who would be at fault ? the idiot for joining the piste and crossing it in 3 seconds (sideways or not) forcing him with nowhere to go?

(It is still illegal to kill people with buses even if the bus has priority!)

WRT the mougls - I am not questioning his ability to control his skis - I am questioning his ability to ski. Skiing is more than just being able to ski the zipper line. Other skiers can get intimidated by idiots crossing in front of them like that. It spoils their day. It makes them hesitate when they are trying with all their effort to make the turns. It is nice to think of them when we plan our lines...

Remember - beginner skiers (we all were once -even this goprofool) don't know how to tell the difference between a world cup pro and a baggy blur rushing towards them out of control. They feel out of control, and tend to assume everyone else is. (except perhaps teenagers - who always feel in control and are of course expert skiers even in their first week).

I have seen people going slowly, make some very unexpected changes of direction (and not just bladers). Why risk it when there is an acre of empty piste to the left? Especially if you are a skier who can get over there with no effort ? He is an inconsiderate moron.

If he did this much wrong in a five minute video, I do wonder what he is doing wrong the rest of the time.
snow conditions
@clarky999, there are some fairly good skiers on this forum who don't cause accidents.
ski holidays
The takeaway I've got from this thread is to never watch videos of skiing with lampbus lest the entire thing gets ruined by whinging about a minor ding from years ago. Toofy Grin
snow report
@meh, good guess, but no cigar. My ACL was entirely unconnected due to hitting a buried fence post off piste. Never had a collision with another skier except once when carving and we were both on alternate 'tacks' and came together gently at the 'apex' of our turns - one of those tings.

I just see so many near misses and foolish things on the mountain and in youtube gopro vids...and everyone claims it isn't their fault...and often they are due to the gopromoron concentrating so much on hitting the terrain feature that all consideration for safety is forgotten. Hck, we are human with specially developed systems to focus our attention like that. It just needs a little awareness to add a glance uphill.
latest report
There's nothing ugly about the skiing this freeride queen does in some hairy terrain:

http://youtube.com/v/vYzohd-dpe8
ski holidays
I've skied with Giulia...she is nicknamed The Giulinator in our family...simply awsome
snow conditions
@Zero_G, absolutely agree with you there, that's fabulous skiing, thanks for posting.

Has been great to read all the posts to my original question, many thanks, I've learnt a lot. In particular I take on board what people say about conditions and the difference between live competition and edited video/ film footage.

@geeo & @pam w, I think my use of the word aesthic in the original post was perhaps not the best, I'm was never looking for pretty ballet style skiing here, is it is after all extreme skiing we are talking about, and even this 'grumpy old man' isn't so dumb as to think that's a walk in the park Happy . I guess it was more about looking for strong control and measured technique in the turns in between all the big hits and for that as a spectator I realise I prefer the type of shorter linked turns that Giulia is doing to the more high speed balls out approach of other freeriders, but that's just me, it's not meant a criticism, just a personal preference. Both require great skill. It would be fascinating to see how Candide would ski those couloirs in the Dolomites?!!

@jimmer, I particularly appreciate your input as someone who is out there 'doing it' (as I'm sure a few others of you are). As I always said I'm doing this discussion from the 'comfort of the armchair' so it was always going to be a bit contentious. All the best to you in your competition efforts.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 23-03-15 12:13; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
The haters will always find some reason to call other people "idiots"; I think that says more about them than anything else.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@philwig, I assume that is a reference to me...I don't hate this chap Julien, I have never met him and in a couple of interviews I found on youtube he came over as OK.

(If it wasn't directed at me, then oops, am I a narcissist ? or perhaps just over sensitive)

If it was - what do you think it says about me ? (beyond the cliche).

Am I bitter and twisted ? - possibly - I do wish I could do backflips and ski powder like he does in his video. Actually, I have never done a backflip or front flip - but I could land them as well as he did in a couple of competitions - total out of control wipeouts. We all have failings. I admire people who do these things, who film descents in spectacular mountain locations.

But they are just people, not gods. They get stuff wrong and to point it out where they are putting other people at risk, does not detract from the great things they do elsewhere.

To hold them in awe is OK, but to assume they can do no wrong, be in total control all the time is naive.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 23-03-15 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I've just watched the Julien Regnier clip. When you are skiing off piste, entering and exiting pistes you have a particular reponsibility to piste skiers. In this we have a narrow liason piste where skiers don't have that much room to turn. Chris? traverses across looking for his next line without being aware of other piste users. He narrows down the lane the other skier has and doesn't leave him enough room to turn. It is like being on a three lane motorway and someone cutting in front of you.

Yes, there is fault on both sides, you should always be able to avoid a skier in front but an experienced skier should take a bit more care.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 23-03-15 15:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
davidof wrote:
I've just watched the Julien Regnier clip. When you are skiing off piste, entering and exiting pistes you have a particular reponsibility to piste skiers.

I understand that a few years ago in Val d'Isere a local instructor re-entered the piste with a jump that landed on an unseen child and killed them. I'm afraid what's shown in the clip looks asinine to me on a public piste that absolutely anybody could be on, no matter how good the skiers.
snow report
Quote:

I've just watched the Julien Regnier clip. When you are skiing off piste, entering and exiting pistes you have a particular reponsibility to piste skiers. In this we have a narrow liason piste where skiers don't have that much room to turn. Chris? traverses across looking for his next line without being aware of other piste users. He narrows down the lane the other skier has and doesn't leave him enough room to turn. It is like being on a three lane motorway and someone cutting in front of you.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I watched it. Didn't see much of a problem on the mogul field but thought the way he entered the cat track was a bit embarrassing really. I'm a bit surprised it stayed in the edit - what was he trying to say?
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
I'm a bit surprised it stayed in the edit - what was he trying to say?

Warts and all? Maybe for people like us to think about how we ski ourselves and to watch out for fast moving people on the pistes who can't stop?

There doesn't seem to have been any harm done.
snow report
The Alaskan stop is about to start with prime conditions. Should be pretty amazing.

Also lampbus I wasn't meaning to talk about something that happened to you. Very Happy
latest report
[quote="8611"][quote="stevomcd"]
Quote:

I don't know how anyone could look at that and look at Candide skiing and think they were better back then.

I don't think anyone's saying they were better in 1990, indeed I think the current crop of athletes are in a completely different league, and they have taken the sport to a whole new level. But some of us aren't sure whether the new level is as aesthetically pleasing!

Personally I'd like to see them ski less demanding routes in better control, and that in turn will probably prolong their life expectancy!
snow report
meh wrote:
The Alaskan stop is about to start with prime conditions. Should be pretty amazing.

Should be, but once again it's just not... at least for me. :? It's amazing looking face, but it's really not amazing looking skiing. It's extreme, hats off for that, but definitely it doesn't look nice. FWT looks for me more like "lets just make it as crazy as possible over as many rocks and cliffs as possible, and lets add some straight line down, and we have winner". It certainly looks crazy, but definitely not beautiful for me.
snow report
It's on now.
latest report
Though the FWT stage was great, love the contrast between 1st place Rodney, all cliffs and tricks, more new school big mountain, and 2nd place Heitz who should have well and truly shown any doubters on here that a big face can be skied with great speed and style! Big respect for the aggression shown by Heitz. Still miss Candide on the FWT though.
snow conditions
Managed to catch the mens snowboard and about half the mens skiers, and try as I might I still ended up feeling like @primoz, though can't say for certain if I saw the runs of Rodney and Heitz so I'm still leaving the door open to understand what others such as @Pumba are seeing.

I guess what I don't get is the all out emphasis on speed and size of jumps. Seeing someone mainline a massive powder field just doesn't do it for me, infact I would even go so far as to say it's a waste of a bloody good mountain! Little Angel

Yes, its daring, yes it's gnarly and yes there is no doubt that these people are risking their lives. But is it wonderful to watch? I'm not sure. I like to see speed and I like to see big drops but I also want to marvel at magnificent control and grace of strength in skiing technique, technique where the skier is in control of the mountain rather than the mountain being in control of the skier - the sort of technique we see in Giulia Monego above and many other riders.

A great rock guitar solo is great because the solo comes in parts throughout the song. But it's the whole song we love, not just the solo(s). We get excited because the song sets the scene and the solo takes us to new heights within it. Listening to the solos on their own would become tedious for most, as indeed would the song without the solos - both are less than the sum of the parts and thats where I feel the FWT is at the moment. It's got all the cray solos, the high points, but not much of the heart and soul around it, not much of the grace in between those crazy bits.

But I'll keep watching because despite these observations, I genuinely like it as a sport, I think it has enormous potential and because I also believe there is someone out there who will bring those separate parts together and take it to the next stage. It's a young sport and constantly evolving, however it's possible that the over emphasis on speed and drops could limit it's evolution as there is only so fast and so high you can go, and I think a wider audience will tire of that route.

I hope it does evolve beyond these narrow criteria because it has the potential as a spectator sport to really wow, to make people go ooh and of course to make people go aaahhh. And that would mean, in real time, a new blizzard of aaahhhs* every year, an annual show that really was the pinnacle of all-round skiing and snowboarding technique.

Think that's me done for now. Probably better retire to bed before the replies start coming in!! Happy

*replace said title of film with which ever ski movie really floats your boat, the one that makes you just want to get out there and ski/snowboard - because it's that feeling we are all trying to connect with.
latest report
Pdsmark wrote:

A great rock guitar solo is great because the solo comes in parts throughout the song. But it's the whole song we love, not just the solo(s). We get excited because the song sets the scene and the solo takes us to new heights within it. Listening to the solos on their own would become tedious for most, as indeed would the song without the solos - both are less than the sum of the parts and thats where I feel the FWT is at the moment. It's got all the cray solos, the high points, but not much of the heart and soul around it, not much of the grace in between those crazy bits.

I think that's just the nature of competition, rather than anything specific to freeriding. Most racing is fairly ugly too (slalom is the exception), and most freestyle comps, with incredibly fast rotations and the spin to win emphasis - a huge drawn out 360 is more stylish than a 12-whatever it is, but without competitions to constantly raise the bar, the sport would grow stale.

Watch something like Afterglow for a recent example of the skiing that (I think you) want to watch. Films tell stories, comps will always be all about tho highlights. Nature of the beast.

Also worth noting is the commentary from today's even - a lot of emphasis on how much the judges value control, and some small errors like backslaps were heavily penalised on runs that I thought were a lot more spectacular than some of the higher scoring runs.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy