Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride tour & extreme skiing - ugly or majestic?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@clarky999, Thanks for info, will look up afterglow.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-03-15 8:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An oldish vid but I like what Doug Coombs says from about 1.30 onwards:
http://youtube.com/v/nDoaOvApig0
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Kelskii, +1. There's that word 'aesthetic' again, spoken my Mr Coombs himself.

This is an interesting video because it bridges the old narrow ski techniques with the new school skiers, thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I don't get this control argument it's like saying slalom skiers are in more control than downhill skiers because they are turning more often and the speed involved makes crashes in downhill more spectacular. Maybe they should have done some ski ballet on 'the apron'? Toofy Grin

Grace, strength and amazing control are visible in spades skiing that fast on steep uneven terrain. There's also something to be said about maintaining momentum over the heavier, denser debris that caught a few people out. Slower skiing would not necessarily be prettier there and they were pretty much mandatory to cross over. Everyone would rather be skiing on untracked powder and where that happened the skiing was fast and fluid as you'd expect.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the question of aethestics is perfectly valid in its place. I mean whether or not a line or a ski is aesthetically pleasing is not a measure of the skier's talent/skill/dedication it is a separate issue. I totally buy the idea that competitions are likely to take place in sub-optimal conditions and prioritise other things. But I think there is also an issue that the more you strive for difficulty and extremity the less easy it is to keep things beautiful.

In that Doug Coombs footage he was choosing his line partly for its beauty (like swooping around those banks rather than hucking off the lips). It is a different objective. Clearly if part of your objective is beauty the resulting vids are likely to be more beautiful!

I think mountaineering/climbing when through a journey that started with the easiest way up a mountain (working your route around the challenging features), then focused on the most aesthetic lines (typically following a big natural feature like a ridge, crack line or steep gully) and has moved on to linking the most difficult sections, often devoid of features. These modern routes are incredibly hard but probably also a bit more contrived and less aesthetic. Big mountain skiing has gone down a similar route.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pdsmark, Regarding your comment about chatter: I recently bought myself a pair of the latest rockered fat skis after 7 years of using a more conventional mid fat all mountain ski. for my off piste excursions. The Bent Chetlers are 120mm underfoot with 30% rocker tip and tail so on hard pack they ski like a short ski with a 19m turn radius. When I took them down a scraped steep black my mates commented on how much the ends were flapping around, I could feel it too but for a wide ski they kept their edges engaged OK. But on the few knee deep powder days we have had this season... OMG, they are the most fun planks I have ever owned. If you want to bounce the short turns or carve massive arcs in open terrain they are perfect. It feels like surfing looks Smile Also, in trees they are very quick to turn and don't get as caught up when landing jumps as my thinner skis (put that down to my crap landing technique).

So as a 47 year old fanatical skier I have totally embraced the new technology, even if my lines are miles away from the extreme stuff that the lads and lasses in the movies ride Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jedster, Great point regarding climbing especially regarding the latest test pieces that you see in the mags. Compare those routes with an old 1930's Kirkus classic severe and only one makes your heart soar.

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/colin-kirkus-climbings-greatest-unknown

His direct in the Moelwyns remains my favorite route.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Highlights of Alaska here:
http://youtube.com/v/s7e6ae1JjdI&feature=em-uploademail

Congrats to Eva Walkner on winning the FWT2015 Overall Womens title on her Whitedots even before the final round in Verbier Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can see more of the winning runs here http://freerideworldtour.com/news/riders-quotes-fwt15-haines-alaska

@Scarpa, thanks for relating your experience of moving to the new type of skis, very interesting. @jedster, that's a good point regarding climbing, and @meh i appreciate what you're saying about momentum.

Perhaps I do live in the dark ages. Or perhaps I just harbour an impossible dream, searching for a ski/ snowboard messiah who can blend aesthetics with the extreme, and stick it all together in a competition!. Very Happy And before any one shoots me don't don't worry, if there is one thing this thread has definitely taught me, is that's a very, very tall order indeed.

Thanks for everyones input, I've definitely got a much greater appreciation of what goes into to being on the FWT and an extreme skier, and whilst I'll still hanker after a little more beauty and grace at times I know I'm already enjoying and appreciating it a lot more for what it is now. I look forward to watching the final stage in Verbier.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kelskii, here is some more of the Morrison and Plake footage.

http://youtube.com/v/c0Xj1GcV3wM

What's interesting here is you can clearly see the shift from old school thinner ski style of Plake to the more direct and aggressive approach of Morrisons, using fatter skis. I like watching them both, but can see that 'Morrison' is able/ willing to attack the mountain more.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jedsterCF climbing, yes, precisely that.

And then if you have a competition where you introduce subjective "style", well you're therefore introducing "fashion". That last is likely to cause dissatisfaction in those who no longer follow it.

Scarpa wrote:
... I recently bought myself a pair of the latest rockered fat skis ... But on the few knee deep powder days we have had this season... OMG, they are the most fun planks I have ever owned. .. So as a 47 year old fanatical skier I have totally embraced the new technology

That sounds right. But I don't think people are still arguing about that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Line of the day

'to evolve you have to be involved'

Glen Plake
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think this year's FWT will be hard to beat. The final was just amazing. I am not sure I agree with all the judging but still the performance from top skiers and riders was great. Was nice to see Ducroz bagging Extreme for the fourth time, and I think that his opening line set the tone of the competition - go big or go home:) When he was on tour he often ran later and lot of skiers on this face pick a "gentler" line, avoiding the centre, but this time it was shown straight away what it takes to win it. They were so extremely lucky with the weather too; nice top up of fresh snow and a sunny day out of many overcast ones.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy