Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What will skis be like in 5 years.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I like to think we will be able to controll gravity and be able to carve up the pistes as well as down and no more queues for the lifts. Roll on 2011.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On a serious note, Quechua were demo'ing a new ski at the recently opened SkierX run at Arc 1800 the other day, sort of a cross between a snowblade and a carving ski, approx. half size in other words. Haven't had a chance to take a close look yet, anyone else tried them? Or even heard of them?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, there is alot of that going around..... I am coming from the skiboard and not skiing size, but skiboards are most definitely getting longer. I have a feeling that the two will meet somewhere in the middle giving a short fat (almost snowboard like) shape.

Of course I am sure there will still be those who are hardcore and want longer skis irrelevant of where the trend takes us!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, I boight a pair of 127cm skis at the start of the season and I am amazed by them. They are fat and twin-tipped and do seem to have the advantages of both blades and skis, being very responsive to turning but also very stable at high speeds. Because of the impact on my skiing we got a pair for my wife yesterday. I haven't found an anti-gravity button on them though!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chris, ski!!!! you will still be using them!!! by then we will simply get into a simulator and glide down a simulated mountain in perfect conditions smelling the mountain air and getting a sun tan Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, What? No freezing toes??? That's no good at all.

chris, I'm interested to hear that your "shorties" are such a success. I've seen a few pairs on the piste here, and they look just the ticket for beginners to learn on (I always have rows with shops who want to give my beginners too long skis). Interesting to hear that they're also quite stable. How about in long turns? can you do a long carving turn on them?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski,

the simulator will be so good that if YOU want cold toes it can be arranged Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charlotte, I'm doing long turns at about 30mph but crap nerves won't let me try it at higher speeds. You need to speak to someone young and or foolish.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I once worked out that given the length/width of my first skis compared to my current ones, if they continue developing at the same rate, I'll be skiing on Squares by the time I'm 92 Skullie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at the current development of composite primary structures in the aerospace industry, I can see no skis with wood cores at all (I think mine are foam cored) since it'll actually be cheaper to manufacture a tape-laid full carbon ski with finely tuned properties. The bases will be cermets (a sintered mixture of metal and ceramics, previously tried for turbine blades) that will provide the weight of a wood core and hence stability. Cermets are porous and will accept wax but are highly abrasion resistant so won't need grinding as often. The edges will be part of the cermet base. I've now run out of ideas and am on my way to the Patents Office... Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The day world cup skis stop being made with wood cores, then i will be convinced that a new material is indeed something other than marketing.

scott www.scottusa.com have some "interesting" ideas. same for kneissl www.kneisslandfriends.com/index.php?lang=en
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulhothersall, The Kneissl skite doesn't really explain the way the 6 edges will work. We were discussing it in the shop the other day and the skiment couldn't quite work it out either - will all edges have to be sharpened? How will you wax, repair the skis? Do you have any ideas? Has anyone tried them or found a shop where they're available to try?

chris, 30mph sound quite fast enough for me!

admin, You'll BE a square by the time you're 92, so that sounds about right!!! wink wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, There are some videos, that attempt to explain the varing radius stuff as well. I believe they are not edges in the proper sense, rather a rasied up piece of material. this would still cut into soft snow, or lock into cat-tracked grooves on a piste.

I would like to have a go with a massive sidecut ski, circa 9m, and have this to try to stablize it when putting it flat on the base. I assume they have a reasonable base bevel to make it work.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy