Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best route from Calais to Avoriaz (avoiding Swiss tolls)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

What is the best route from (travelling with two young children) from Calais to Avoriaz (trying to avoid the Swiss road tax).

Also does anybody know if it is compulsory to have snow chains?

Thanks
Tara
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
While chains are not compulsory, if you do not have winter tyres on your vehicle and it snows the French police may prevent you from travelling further.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

While chains are not compulsory, if you do not have winter tyres on your vehicle and it snows the French police may prevent you from travelling further.

Or indeed if you do not have chains and police deem that you are required to put them on. It is only compulsory to have snow chains when it is deemed you need them. I would reccomend that you take them.

@tnmorris, I would just follow the French Auoroute to Geneva, then head towards Chamonix and turn off at Cluses, Even if you choose to go along the banks of Lake Geneva you will not actually go into Switzerland and certainly not onto a Swiss motorway
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tnmorris, I would check the tolls for the A40 route on Via Michelin as for a return journey they may work out more expensive than the Swiss road tax. If the A40 route is significantly further you might save on fuel going through Switzerland too.

We certainly found on our way back from Chatel last year that our fuel consumption was very low driving back through Switzerland and then via Besancon - presumably as we spent more time driving at 50mph on the A road and less at 80 on the motorway.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tnmorris, Use this http://www.viamichelin.com/ to plan your journey. In the route options check the avoid Swiss tolls (Vignette) box.

@snowymum, But then he/she'd pay french autoroute tolls + vignette costs Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@halfhand, Whichever way they go there will be the same French toll from Calais to Dijon/Dole area. They then need to compare the toll/fuel cost of Dijon/Dole to Avoriaz via A40 with the vignette/toll/fuel cost of Dijon/Dole to Avoriaz via Switzerland. The swiss route has a section of motorway from Dole to Besancon which will involve a French toll but that is likely to be a lot less than the toll from Dole to Cluses on A39/A40.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Besancon route makes sense for Chatel but for Avoriaz the best bet is Dole, Bourg en Bresse, Annemasse and then up to Avoriaz. French motorway all the way until you turn of in the Annemasse Cluses area. No need for a Swiss vignette.

You could cut through the Jura which is a nice break from the motorway but overall slower and runs the risk of getting fouled up in Geneva/caught out on a Swiss motorway
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with the french route recommended above, taking the A40. prp

I often cut across the Jura through Poligny. It's shorter than the motorway and much more interesting. Saves fuel and tolls and takes very little longer but I have a Swiss vignette. Perfectly possible to avoid Swiss motorways but takes a little longer and a competent navigator.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy