Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: El Tarter, Grandvalira, Andorra 05-12 April 2015

Poster: A snowHead
05 April 2015 Trip to Andorra - El Tarter (Grandvalira) or Arinsal (Vallnord) please?

As it says on the tin Smile

Looking at a 1-week trip.

Both areas look to have great snow coverage.

Cost is practically the same.

My girlfriend Nerys & I going.

She can ski all grades of piste and is comfortable in red gradient off-piste terrain including trees.

All thoughts and recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-04-15 20:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having seen the kind of thing you ski, and given your girlfriend's level, I suspect that the Arinsal ski sector will bore you both to tears, so you'd be making good use of the connection over to Pal where there are reasonable reds and good tree skiing, although both sectors are very small. But the main reason for choosing Vallnord would be to have access to Arcalís on the free Vallnord bus (50 mins) yet combining it with the small but active town of Arinsal. (Arcalís is the for the off-piste and tree skiing, the more local, crowdless and authentic atmosphere, and the view from the top of the peak you can walk up to above the Creussans lift exit.)

I'd personally recommend doing Grandvalira, which is much bigger, and then driving to Arcalís for day trips if you have a car. (It can also be done using public transport from Grandvalira to La Massana changing at either Encamp (ideally) or La Vella, and then hopping on the Vallnord bus, but that would be a rigmarole really - though still worth it if there's a bluebird powder day.)

In Grandvalira, El Tarter is pretty and is the best entrance for convenience IMO, but it has very little in the way of services: just two bar-cum-restaurants (although one of them, the piste-side Abarset, is fun on Thurs-Sat apres-ski, with DJs, and the other gets busy later on those same days). Soldeu is an alternative choice with many more services but with a bit of a predictable Brits-on-holiday atmosphere. Soldeu is a 20-minute walk uphill from El Tarter. And if you like chilled-out, Canillo is nice and relaxed, with services, but with a less convenient entrance to skiing due to it being gondola-only back to the village (and not walkable fron the other sectors).

Grandvalira and Vallnord are separate lift passes, but if you're doing DIY you can buy a 5-day (and only 5-day) joint pass from any of the resorts' ticket offices if you give them a passport photo; see www.skiandorra.ad

[Edited to clarify where to buy the joint pass]

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 23-03-15 17:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brilliant.

You are a legend. Thanks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd second that, I'd absolutely choose Grandvalira over Vallnord any day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another +1 for Grandvalira - I'd recommend Soldeu as it's located perfectly to access the whole area.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Booked.

A week's half board in El Tarter with Neilsen for £450 Smile

Just need the temps to drop and we'll be styling.

Thanks again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any and all recommendations for

lunch
dinner
drinks
guide

gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want lunch on the hill, then the AndBurger place at the top of the Funicamp is pretty good - has a huge outdoor balcony eating area with amazing views across all the nearby mountains - arguably better views than the altitude restaurants I would say.

Obviously not particularly 'local' food (though all the meat is Andorran) but worth it for the views from that terrace on a sunny day!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great. Thanks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A visit to the Pessons bar and restaurant is a must. Stunning location and food. The only piste to it is marked red on the map but I would say it is more blue, only rd because its narrow.
Only resort I know where you can get a beer on the slopes for less than in resort!!
Just for info you can get back to El Tarter from the bottom of Pass de la Casse by using only 3 lift; TSD 6 FONT NEGRE,TSD 4 CUBIL and TSD 6 PLA DE LES PEDRES SOLDEU If you ski quickly you can do it in just over an hour.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Excellent. Ta Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forgot to mention (I'm not affiliated with the site) but if you buy your lift pass from pasdelacasa-andorra.com, it includes passes for a free sandwich lunch (sandwich, fries and a drink) each day at the altitude restaurants and cafes (including that AndBurger I mentioned above) for the same price as just a lift pass costs.

They're in the packages section not I'm the lift pass section.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers Smile
snow report
@Mike Pow, just came back from El Tarter and stayed at the Neilson half board hotel in El Tarter, assume you mean Hotel del Clos?

Had a great time, entertainment was good (Lloyd) ski guiding good (Lloyd again!) and food not bad, just could have been warmer. All staff very helpful and accommodating.

You will have a great time. I also vote for the Pessons bar, we had a few good stops there, I even managed to break tmychair to the hilarity of Lloyd and the ski guiding group - described as a slow motion graceful collapse Laughing

In addition try the refuge at the top of the Llosada chairlift. Mainly something on toast but the toppings were all freshly cooked and interesting - Catalan version of fast food, but not tapas Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Music to my ears. Many thanks.
latest report
Going same week (El tarter Xalet Casale) so watching this thread with interest also. Many thanks everyone for the tips!
ski holidays
Thanks for joint ski pass link..... We are dedicated Arcalis skiers who never quite get round to skiing anywhere in Grand Valira but know we would like to... Next Feb maybe!
latest report
Real mix of weather at the moment, but seems to be net gain not net loss Smile

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/GrandvaliraElTarter/6day/top
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Went to El Tarter last season with 1 beginner and 3 inters and all had a ball. Stayed in a Pierre Vacance residence which was probably the best ski accom ive ever stayed in. The town itself is very quiet which was ok for us and we ate at the same restaurant every night as it was the only one we could find but the food was great. It was called Dylans ! Would recommend pre-booking the lift passes with free lunch vouchers which saved us a fortune. Choice of various burgers with fries and even a beer if you so required. We stored our skis and boots right at the bottom of the slope behind the ski hire shop, was about 30 euros for the week and just about squeezed 4 sets of skis,boots and poles in.
The pistes were fantastic and taking the journey over to Pas was quite a trip but some superb open bowls on the way. Even our beginner did it after day 3 !
The run back into El Tarter at the end of the day was always a pleasure with a bit of off piste using the jumps behind the snow cannons. Would definitely recommend and the only downside is the transfer to and from the airport. We hired a car from Girona and it took about 3.5 hours, easy drive and meant no leaving resort at stupid o clock for an afternoon flight. Also there is loads of free parking in El Tarter if your accom doesn't have it.
Im driving to Morillon in the Grand Massif next Thursday and cant wait Very Happy
ski holidays
Many thanks dozey69.

Enjoy Morillon Smile
snow report
Are there vegetarian and/or fish options with the combined lift pass & food ticket please?
snow conditions
It's just a sandwich menu so sandwich chips and drink so yes I think there were vegi options but fairly limited (i.e cheese I think).

The passes work at lots of places though (full list on the grandvalira website) so they'll likely have different things to offer
ski holidays
They do a vegetarian sandwich with roast veg, egg & goats cheese, which is quite nice but does get a little monotonous after a few days. For non vegetarians you can also have the hot sandwiches, bacon, burgers etc, and chicken wings. We have used the deal a few times over the past few years, have usually found it best to eat lunch after 2 pm, after the ski cool rush, big queues otherwise.
snow report
Many thanks both Smile
ski holidays
Arrived yesterday.

Gatwick - Barcelona, then coach to the Hotel Del Clos run by Neilson.

Seamless. Very impressed.

Welcome drink and nibbles on arrival.

Room with balcony is massive, and superb view of the slopes.

Dinner and breakfast very good and plentiful.

Bottles of sparkling white €10. Happy days Very Happy

Off out now to ski. Not a cloud in the ski. Looks like perfect spring conditions.
ski holidays
Many thanks to the snowheads who provided valuable info which was instrumental in booking our holiday.

TR: El Tarter, Grandvalira, Andorra 05-12 April 2015

Got back to Wales on 02 April after a fantastic season on Hokkaido, northern Japan and my good lady Nerys and I were looking for a week of European Spring skiing.

With the help of snowheads and snow-forecast.com we plumped for El Tarter, Grandvalira, Andorra.

Everything open, cool temperatures and sunshine.

And the price was right!

£450 for 7-nights half board accommodation at the Neilsen run Hotel del Clos at El Tarter.

Booked through Helen & Nigel at Ski Holiday Expert
http://www.skiholidayexpert.com/

Sunday 05 April 2015

Flew Gatwick to Lleida (outside Barcelona) and then bus transfer up to resort.

3 hr transfer with stop half way at Restaurant Can Valls for around 20 mins.

Glorious sunshine and views on the ride up, and dropped outside the hotel.

We'd booked a balcony room for a £30 supplement. Well worth it to have fresh air and views.

We were in Room 401 which had a more private balcony than the other fourth floor rooms.

Large bedroom, Austrian twin beds, en suite. Very good.

Drinks and nibbles and welcome speech on arrival.

Then bottles of local white sparkling for 10 euros for the rest of the night Smile

Dinner was choice of two starters and two desserts and then buffet for mains, vegetables, salads, bread & cheese.

Coffee or tea.

Very good food, plenty of choice, could be a little warmer.

Breakfast was hot & contintental 7-9 am, then contintental 9-10

Great.

Day 1: Monday 06 April 2015

There was free ski storage at the hotel but we chose to rent a locker at the base of the El Tarter lifts for 48 euros for 6 days.

Short snow free walk from the hotel to the lifts and then we were off.

No queues, even though it was Easter Monday.

Conditions were firm to good with the manmade snow staying dry and chalky all day and the natural snow warming through the afternoon to a sand like consistency by day's end.

Huge ski area - 210 km of piste - with unlimited off-piste beside and between the runs. The corn cycle hadn't kicked in so the off-piste was rock hard and lumpy.

Skied from El Tarter over to Pas De La Casa, back over and down to Canillo, and then down home.

Had lunch over at Font Negre in the sunshine listening to Vintage Reggae Cafe, which set the tone for the trip.

Never spent more than 15 euros each per day for snacks, lunch and drinks.

Great first day.

Day 2: Tuesday 07 April 2015

Much the same as Day 1 but spent more time in the Grau Roig sector.

Lunch at the Hotel Iglu. 12 euros for a large glass of bubbly, a fresh oyster and three strips of raw salmon. Fabulous.

Day 1 & 2 video
Vintage Reggae Cafe with Stereo Dub
SET FIRE TO THE RAIN

http://youtube.com/v/J9DIArvzMqQ

Pics here

https://www.facebook.com/mike.richards.927/media_set?set=a.10153239144863624.1073741849.506688623&type=1&pnref=story

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 26-08-15 14:09; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Day 3: Wednesday 08 April 2015

Another great day on the slopes and I took a couple of walks.

First the 'Canal d'encampadana' above El Tarter

And then the Cortals route down to Encamp. Got to this chute too late and sideslipped most of it as it went from spring soft to bulletproof and rutted in about 5 minutes

The ski out to the Encamp gondola mid station was great, with an interesting walk on a rope bridge over the river.

Too late to take the gondola back up, so down to Encamp and then the bus back up to El Tarter.

Day 4: Thursday 09 April 2015

Day 3 & 4 video
Vintage Reggae Cafe with General Soundbwoy
HELLO

http://youtube.com/v/tzcZ2blVjA8

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 26-08-15 14:10; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Day 6: Saturday 11 April 2015

Last day, and a cracker. Corn cycle kicked in.

Day 5 & 6 video
Vintage Reggae Cafe with Sublime Reggae Kings
HUMAN

http://youtube.com/v/9qoWUVGxtCE

Fantastic holiday. Neilsen were top notch.

Great ski area which would be even more fun with fresh snow.

Highly recommended.

LINKS

Grandvalira
http://www.grandvalira.com/en

El Tarter, snow-forecast
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/GrandvaliraElTarter/6day/top

Helen & Nigel
Ski Holiday Expert
http://www.skiholidayexpert.com/

Ski Andorra
http://www.skiandorra.ad/en/

Andorra articles in the press and online

'Sophisticated Skiing in Andorra' - The Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/andorra/11401329/Sophisticated-skiing-in-Andorra.html

Arcalis, Vallnord - Fall Line
http://www.fall-line.co.uk/a-sneak-peek-at-the-latest-fwt-venue/

Andorra - In The Snow
http://www.inthesnow.com/feature/andorra-skiing-nation/

Andorra - Snow Magazine
http://www.snowmagazine.com/ski-resort-guide/andorra-ski-resorts

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 26-08-15 14:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I think you chose the right place in Andorra.

The Lass was in Arinsal for that week, and the week before, and reported that the snow was slush....with slush at the top, bottom and middle.
No corn, no ice...just slush.
snow conditions
Phew.

Disappointed that we couldn't do the Neilsen day trip over to Arcalis - not enough people signed up - and would definitely return to the area to ski Grandvalira and Vallnord.

And go heliskiing Smile
snow conditions
Hi all - anyone know if you can go up the bottom cable car as a pedestrian with a push chair? We will have a full lift pass anyway
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy