Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heather Mills confirms ambition to ski at over 200 km/h

Poster: A snowHead
I don't see the problem. If David wants to post news on this forum, in whatsoever legal format, why shouldn't he? There's no compulsion to read any of it, or to open any links. Most of it isn't my cup of tea, but so what? Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't object to the content of the post but to the anture of the bait sentence then the link to Ski.Hub, where there's just a click-through link to the original article. SkiHub adds nothing except self promotion and Facebook hits.

The sorry state of SH news is much lamented. Especially when there is so much genuine good news coming out of TeamGB skiers and riders right now - Lloyd Wallace winning the Aerials Europa Cup in Airolo, Switzerland at the weekend, Millie knight taking bronze at the IPC Alpine world championships, or Billy Morgans 2nd and Aimee Fullers 3rd place in Flachau, for example.
The full articles relating to this and other TeamGB snowsports news can be found at http://www.teambss.org.uk/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pedantica, agreed - but when he later replaces posts with a row of dashes ------- then I find it all a tad more than tedious. This is not the first time he's done that. Makes nonsense of the remains of the thread.
I think one (now defunct) version of the sH Tamsins used to include the term 'vexacious posting'. What is the opposite of that ???
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Richard_Sideways, there's nothing to stop you volunteering to be the new newshound, I believe the previous one got busy in the real world. As for the link to Ski.Hub, don't click on it if you don't like it.

@Dubaian, the dashes are annoying, but not so as to lose sleep over.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dubaian wrote:
@Pedantica, agreed - but when he later replaces posts with a row of dashes ------- then I find it all a tad more than tedious.

Yes indeed. It's a dash tedious to generate all these hyphens too.

Your attitude - as someone who's possibly spent too much time in the desert - seems to that of 'master-servant'. You, as a master-consumer of ski news, seem to take the attitude that I (news servant) am to behave according to your expectations and not disrupt them. Fair enough, but snowHeads does not exist in a state of economic or social reality - surely that's obvious after all these years?

Unfortunately the whingeing trolls of this forum - who insist that news/journalism/quality/whatever has no part in their life (or at least that's what they seem to communicate) - have got the upper hand. Over the years it's been clear that the culture here is a loud hostility towards journalism, anyone who stands up for journalism, or 'hosts' it (with links).

An alternative viewpoint might be that genuine journalism has a vital role to play in skiing.

There's only so much crap one should have to put up with.

David
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pedantica, I won't. Yawn.

IIRC snowNews was originally populated by a select bunch of post-promoters. I think in time some just fell off the drag lift - leaving El Hen as the sole pistie to puff the posts deemed worthy. As it wasn't a lively section of sH, arguably not really representative of the rest of the forums, it probably deserved to quietly vanish.

Like snowMedia, it was a good idea at the time - which has either been overtaken by newer forms of applications and/or needs folks to front up and put in the effort.

Thanks to El Hen and other active newshounds - and to Yoda (the snowMedia main man, I think).
sH will survive as a busy active forum - it no longer needs anything else to help spread the word - which was what the portal was intended to do, I think. We are more or less back at day one - and DG & Gerry are still battling away. Plus ca change .....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Karl Marx, my post above is not a response to yours - cross posting.
I merely objected to your wholesale deletion of posts. I made no other comment.
As usual, you are attributing views which are not supported by my posts. No way am I your master - neither am I your servant. But I am increasingly pissed off by many of your contributions -
Quote:
There's only so much crap one should have to put up with.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DG can post whatever the site moderators are happy with. A redirect through FB is the least of my worries, my only query, which I still don't understand, is why is the Facebook link protected by a log in? I was able to view something James Cove had posted but not DG.

> Especially when there is so much genuine good news coming out of TeamGB skiers and riders right now

and a big congratulations to Marie Dorin from my local resort who has just won double world championship medals 6 months after giving birth. Marie was training "baby on board" last summer

http://youtube.com/v/-YWUE-aYPvg

and at the world championships

http://youtube.com/v/H2rMnTNAGpM
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
... my only query, which I still don't understand, is why is the Facebook link protected by a log in? I was able to view something James Cove had posted but not DG.

I've no idea either. It doesn't suit my interests. Perhaps Facebook regard public groups (that is the status of SKI.HUB, amongst the choices FB make available) as something they'd specially like you to be registered and logged-in for. It does offer equal posting status to any member.

LinkedIn also seem to offer different levels of accessibility to data which people effectively make public - again sometimes requiring a log-in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Karl Marx wrote:
You, as a master-consumer of ski news, seem to take the attitude that I (news servant) am to behave according to your expectations and not disrupt them.

Maybe I was out in desert for too long too, but getting links to someone else work is a bit hard to be called "news servant", don't you think so? Collecting links has nothing to do with generating news with some value, and unless you are Google with whole bunch of money for lawyers, this "aggregator" might be even a bit tricky thing to do, when it comes to copyright stuff. ;)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Regarding Facebook logins. As far as I'm aware Facebook groups can only be viewed by people with a Facebook account as they are designed specifically for communicating amongst a group of Facebook users, not as a means to communicate news to a public audience.

For public news feeds on Facebook most organisations (and indeed individuals) use fan pages, see examples below. These can be viewed by anyone, whether a member of Facebook or not, though there are advantages to being a Facebook member such as being able to follow the page or interact with it.

Avoriaz Alpine ski school; https://www.facebook.com/avoriazalpineskischool
BBC news; https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews
Morzine source magazine; https://www.facebook.com/MorzineSourceMagazine
Zoe Gillings Brier; https://www.facebook.com/goingforgoldcard

The list can go on and on, most resorts, businesses, charities, news organisations and many individuals worldwide have a Facebook fan page these days. I use one for my business.

I would suggest @Karl Marx, that if you want a public news feed on Facebook that all can view then you convert to a fan page, though it may not meet your group needs. You need to weigh up what you are trying to achieve - but I think it's fair to say that it's not ideal to be using links to the Facebook group items and listing them a news if they are not freely available for all to read.

The question is do you want a group or a news feed?

You can find more info on the differences between groups and fan pages here https://www.facebook.com/help/162866443847527/

Hope this info is helpful to people.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 17-03-15 14:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And I thought this site was about skiing...... just shows you how naive I can be
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dubaian wrote:
I am increasingly pissed off by many of your contributions

Well that's OK. The last thing one would wish for is a bland response, or no response at all.

primoz wrote:
Collecting links has nothing to do with generating news with some value

I very strongly disagree with you. The whole point of this is to identify significant ski news from the 99% of stuff/puff/guff that isn't worth linking to. That, in itself, is a process of instinctive editorial/journalistic judgement ... having been involved in ski writing since 1976. I quite understand that you want original writing, but this is a free site. Hopefully 39 years of experience cuts into how the stuff is selected, headlined and summarised.

primoz wrote:
... unless you are Google with whole bunch of money for lawyers, this "aggregator" might be even a bit tricky thing to do, when it comes to copyright stuff. Wink

Err ... as above ... and having worked for every quality newspaper (primarily The Sunday Times) I'm not inclined to (and don't) abuse others' copyright. On the contrary, the links generate hits and respect for the original source material. As someone who spends a lot of time researching with 19th century newspapers, it's worth pointing out that news 'syndication' (which is a kind of 'aggregation') has been going strong for 200 years in the British media. Co-operative linking is just the 21st century version of it.

@Pdsmark, nice to have some really valuable points about Facebook. Thank you! Makes a change from all the whingers, bores and trolls who have made this thread a bit of an ordeal.

FB or not FB, that was the question. [W. Shakespeare]. Personally I think it's proven itself, and is a valid complementary tool/resource for sH.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Karl Marx, ....and I thought we had it all sorted out!

Someone mentioned it earlier...Pedantica I think......'don't click on it if you don't like it'......and get on with you life, and stop trying to make everyone conform with your ideals.

Karl Marx has listened to what has previously been written (constructive observations), and reacted to it in a positive way.

Maybe it is now time to take a seat and see what he does next?

Without wanting to sound pompous though I am amazed at the disgraceful remark made by Gerry, irrespective of his personal view. He has projected an entirely unprofessional image of himself and the organisation he represents, in the manner in which he conducts himself in this thread, namely by his choice of words.

Reading his profile on Ski Club GB website he is listed as a Ski Guide, it lists one of his hobbies includes 'creative writing' Very Happy

quote...'Apart from skiing, Gerry's other hobbies include: astronomy, creative writing, playing the penny whistle, kittens, embroidery, skipping, pottery, basket weaving and designing shrubberies.'

Maybe he is better suited to sticking to basket weaving?

Here is a hyperlink to his profile if you are interested....no sign up required!

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/user/profile.aspx/gerry-aitken-1#.VQhmj47F-So

Makes me feel like signing up to SCGB right now.....not.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 17-03-15 17:47; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mayr, +1 in every detail, especially the last! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Gerry wrote:
Yeah right, you're the biggest shite smearing troll in here.

We don't know that this is the SCGB's Gerry....or do we? We wouldn't want to malign a venerable institution.
ski holidays
I wish I could get popcorn in Switzerland.....
snow report
@Swissie, Come to Alp Trida, I have some in the cupboard you can have!
snow report
ALQ wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Yeah right, you're the biggest shite smearing troll in here.

We don't know that this is the SCGB's Gerry....or do we? We wouldn't want to malign a venerable institution.

Take a look at his previous posts....it looks pretty conclusive to me!
snow conditions
Can the wee boys take their spat to another playground, please? I, for one , am hearitly sick of it, and I've only been on here a few months.

It seems every thread gets hyjacked.
ski holidays
@DG @Pdsmark

Thanks for the information, that is a lot clearer now.
snow report
@Karl Marx,

After almost a year on this site I have not yet seen you post one item of original journalism.

Are you a journalist or just some information compiler for your ski.hub site ?

If you are a journalist lets see you actually get out there and be the one who reports firsthand, be the one who breaks news story's to the world not just collates news being reported by true journalists who have the inclination and drive to discover.

I would happily read posts from you of original journalism but I am getting fed up of seeing link to this that and the other especially when most are linked through your ski hub site, which will promote it's status, when all I seem to see you do is criticise this site.
snow conditions
@speed098, go and boss someone else around. Your typing miles are totally wasted on that kind of self-diminishing drivel.

I've just explained that - maybe just maybe - it helps to have 39 years of ski-writing experience to select the most original ski journalism and news about the place. I don't claim to do anything other than that ... but if you'd like to read the stuff I was paid handsomely to write ... it's all in the Arnold Lunn Library and British Library, mainly 1984 - 1994 [Ski Survey magazine and The Sunday Times, mainly].

speed098 wrote:
I am getting fed up of seeing link to this that and the other ...

Well blink ... every time you see a link ... and they will all vanish. Magic !
snow report
Pdsmark wrote:
Regarding Facebook logins. As far as I'm aware Facebook groups can only be viewed by people with a Facebook account as they are designed specifically for communicating amongst a group of Facebook users, not as a means to communicate news to a public audience.

Hope this info is helpful to people.

Thanks very much - and that does seem to fit with my experience. I do have (but rarely use) a FB account. I can view Ski Hub or WTF links on a simple click.

I had a quick look around the FB FAQs from the link you gave and I couldn't find a way to convert from a group to a fan page.
But that's not really my problem and in any case we are not sure if DG/CG/KM wants to do that either.
But if it was done for skihub, it would resolve the objections made here about logging in to link throughs.

I await developments. Or not. Without bated breath.
snow conditions
@Karl Marx, Following on from the comments above I'm not sure there is anyone here who considers what you do to be journalism. You are just reposting other people's work. If, as you say, you are an experienced journalist, then you have the skills and experience to write interesting/informative/thought provoking posts. Why not do so?
ski holidays
Fair points. Could also apply to sH, of course, in terms of 'fan page' excitement. SKI.HUB needs to grow 'organically' and cautiously, in my view, as it's vulnerable to potential spamming ... which also applies here, of course. Exponential growth can result in growth pains.

[end of kitchens]
ski holidays
@Dubaian, @Karl Marx, unfortunately there is no longer a way to directly convert a group page into a fan page (also known as Facebook pages), you basically need to create the fan page and then encourage existing members over to it. There are plenty of tutorials out there to help you do this, e.g.

http://www.boxcarmarketing.com/can-a-facebook-group-be-converted-into-a-page
http://pomomusings.com/2009/09/10/facebook-pages/

Facebook groups precede fan pages and are generally considered out dated for most social media/ news/ group needs, and whilst the move to a fan page does involve a learning curve the benefits usually easily out weigh the time involved to make the shift.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Karl Marx, Following on from the comments above I'm not sure there is anyone here who considers what you do to be journalism. You are just reposting other people's work. If, as you say, you are an experienced journalist, then you have the skills and experience to write interesting/informative/thought provoking posts. Why not do so?

He's a blogger not a journalist. A number of years ago he was challenged, after pontificating endlessly about his journalistic status, to produce some of his paid work. Nothing convincing was ever put forward.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gerry Aitken, director, Ski Club of Great Britain wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

He's a blogger not a journalist. A number of years ago he was challenged, after pontificating endlessly about his journalistic status, to produce some of his paid work. Nothing convincing was ever put forward.

Are you going to be a show or no-show on the evening of 1 April at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese? I'll bring along loads of Sunday Times cuttings, plus some important documents concerning the Ski Club of Great Britain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde_Cheshire_Cheese

If you're going to be a no-show, it's essential that you say so. This event will not go ahead without you.

In the meantime, quit misrepresenting my journalistic credentials. You're a director of a national organisation with a 112-year history, its own credentials originally based on truth and integrity.
snow report
You wrote a bit for the Times decades ago. So what? I once did some bricklaying. Anyway, there's a massive difference between writing for and writing to The Times!

wink
ski holidays
Are we going to see you on 1 April, or are you staying in the shadows?
snow conditions
And are you ready now to explain why you contacted the police recently in relation to SCGB affairs?
latest report
Not newsworthy in my view and off topic. If you think it's of interest to skiers then put all the details, which you have btw, on ski hub.
latest report
Gerry wrote:
Not newsworthy in my view and off topic. If you think it's of interest to skiers then put all the details, which you have btw, on ski hub.

That counts as a confirmation that you contacted the police, which is a bit of progress. If you're not willing to explain to SCGB members (and this studio audience) why you took the action, then the story will have to be told from another perspective. That's OK, but not ideal.

The picture that's emerging, though, is that you generally take freelance actions (as a SCGB board member, either in an official or unofficial capacity - it's not clear) that are not obvious in terms of the Ski Club's interests. Obviously, any action you take has to be squared in terms of the Club members' interests.

More to follow.
latest report
Could be an idea to return to the thread topic. There again, Heather Mills is a dreadfully dreary topic. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
+1 - - Even at very high speed.
ski holidays
@Pedantica,
Quote:

There again, Heather Mills is a dreadfully dreary topic
I agree, almost enough to send you off to Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese to get legless?
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Could be an idea to return to the thread topic. There again, Heather Mills is a dreadfully dreary topic. Toofy Grin

OK ... beginning with skiing ...

4 Feb 2015: "Heather Mills reveals horror after prosthetic leg SHATTERS just moments before ski jump"
http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/556056/Heather-Mills-horror-prosthetic-leg-The-Jump

17 March 2015: "Greedy, ghastly, lying fantasist – and those are just Heather Mills’ good points! But at least she gives us all a laugh" [by Piers Morgan]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2999330/PIERS-MORGAN-Greedy-ghastly-lying-fantasist-just-Heather-Mills-good-points-gives-laugh.html

NB. The second article carries no ski content but Piers Morgan says he introduced Heather Mills to Sir Paul McCartney (an introduction which had consequences, possibly including her interest in ski racing, speed-skiing etc.)
snow report
I heard Paul McCartney once bought her a plane for Christmas.

And a Ladyshave for the other leg.
latest report
Greedy, ghastly, lying fantasist - - Piers would know all about that.
Sorry - we've crashed off piste again. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy