Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resorts are good for self catered chalets?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Starting to think about the destination for next year - our group will likely be 8 strong and looking for interesting and varied skiing.

This year we had a few days in the PDS, which was brilliant, but we'd all consider venturing elsewhere. We are all fans of Austria and would also be interested in Italy. My husband and I had a great week in Saalbach this year and had a great time, but whilst the skiing and apres would be perfect for our big group trip, there doesn't seem to be an abundance of chalets.

Are larger chalets a French thing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jenniper,
I have generally been self catering with a group of 8 and not found finding accommodation a particular problem It does depend on where you look though Tour operators often do not have this kind of accommodation.
Generally speaking I have found resort websites pretty good for finding such accommodation as well as Interhome. It does mean that you have to sort out the travel yourself, but this is not difficult. Chalets themselves are often a small distance from the lifts and sometimes a car may be handy. Switzerland has an abundance of such accommodation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jenniper, are you talking about catered chalets?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jenniper, have a look here for a selections of self-catering properties of all sizes, not too far from lifts. www.eurekaski.com
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I should mention they are all in Serre Chevalier, and many, but not all, are in Le Monetier-les-Bains.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Jenniper, are you talking about catered chalets?

No, I'm talking about self-catered chalets Laughing We generally DIY our group trip as we like to self cater (and some have parental responsibilities so might do less than a full week).

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I like Serre Chevalier so I'll have a root around on the Eurekaski site.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jenniper,
Serre Chevalier and Monetier in particular is a great place to ski and @Hells Bells, recommended web site is a good place to start but if you don't have much luck there the tourist office website has a lot of accommodation some of which I have used in the past, though it has been for more or fewer than eight when I've been there for various reasons.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This company http://www.chalet-altitude.com/en/ offer large apartments within a chalet. We have booked with them twice and found them a pleasure to deal with.(I believe TO`s often book the larger apartments at Les Arcs and Val T and offer them as catered chalets themselves) If you book direct they offer total self catering, pre ordered and delivered bread and patisserie, or a fully catered option with different levels of food menu. You will find my reports on here of our stays at Arc 200 and La Rosiere.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'm talking about self-catered chalets

most self-catering establishments will be apartments rather than chalets. Just about all French resorts have more than you can shake a stick at, of all possible degrees of style versus economy, many very convenient for lifts and slopes. Any resort website will give you links to a range of places, some managed by agencies, some individually let.

You'll need to identify a few more criteria to help narrow down what you want. I am sitting in my apartment at the moment and within 100 metre radius I could point you to apartments for 6 - 14 or 3 or 4 self contained chalets of various sizes and degrees of opulence (and consequently rent.....).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jenniper, try Nendaz. http://www.interhome.co.uk/switzerland/valais/nendaz/
Lots of lovely chalets with gardens and good facilities.
Best you have a car. Excellent resort, middle of the 4-Valleys, but much more pleasant than Verbier.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The more I think about it, I think I'm after guidance on Austrian or Italian resorts. I've skied in a few different resorts in France so I know that there is an abundance of accommodation and I'm comfortable finding it. Sorry for being vague - I guess we are looking for a resort which has a choice of larger apartments or chalets within walking distance of the lifts, with a reasonable sized ski area. The resort would need to have some atmosphere so we can enjoy a bit of apres but it definitely wouldn't need to be party central.

For example - the Dolomites look fabulous but there are so many different towns and villages to stay in - I wouldn't know where to start.

For an Austrian experience it sounds like I should just hit the official tourist websites of the resorts I'm familiar with (ie Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel, St Anton, Ischgl etc).

Thanks again, everyone.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the Dolomites look fabulous but there are so many different towns and villages to stay in - I wouldn't know where to start.

the Dolomites are fabulous but some areas would be very quiet in the evenings. Other posters have suggested that Selva is one of the bigger towns, with more going on, and it's right in the middle of some fantastic skiing for all levels.

But there isn't the kind of abundance of self catering places within easy walk of the lifts as you find so easily in France. And prices seem a bit higher (though hot chocolates and coffees are both much better quality and cheaper and food is good value too). But it's a wonderful area - thoroughly recommended.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy