Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have I booked too early in the season?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,
Been a lurker here for a while and finally thought I'd make an account Toofy Grin
This forum has already been a wealth of information so before anything let me say a massive THANK YOU!

So the story goes,
I work for a large company that is in the top 3 best big companies to work for, I'll give you a hint, We dont sell food or credit cards Wink

http://features.thesundaytimes.co.uk/public/best100companies/live/template

As part of being a best company to work for we get offered discount holidays, naturally I asked for a week skiing in Austria next year, when I saw the price my jaw dropped and I booked it almost immediately.
At best I am a high level begginer - low level intermediate so a week in Saalbach & Hinterglemm seemed like the perfect week.
That was until I checked the snow reports from previous years.. Sad
I will be arriving on the 2nd jan next year, far too long to wait, I know!
So, people with more experience than me / those who spend a lot of time out there (Tatmans Tours, got my eye on you! Toofy Grin) do you think that the conditions will be okay by then, or have I made a huge mistake?
Don't know if it's worth mentioning that I'm only 18? Puzzled
Also, if you're out there too, give me a shout and we could possibly go for a few drinks?

Thankyou in advance all,
and thankyou again for being such a useful forum!

Regards,
Sam

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 15-03-15 15:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There will be some snow. Past performance is no indication of the future, depths can down as well as up. You won't need much of the areas 200km to keep you occupied at your level. Beer also available in many establishments if all else fails.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should be fine. Saalbach has one of the highest (I think top two) 'overnights' totals for the whole of Austria. It's a very sophisticated resort with a very large number of beds and (I think) a very comprehensive snowmaking system to keep punters happy. Resorts like that simply can't afford to let nature rule things, if nature fails.

In a typical winter there will have been snow on the ground at Saalbach for a good 3-6 weeks before you arrive. This winter wasn't typical for early season snow, but it's a relatively low risk.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with the two above, worry not.

We normally go a week or two earlier than when you are going and bar this year conditions have been decent. Even this year only a tiny part of the area we went to (Skiwelt) was open we skied all day every day. We just covered our own tracks more than once every day. And as @HutToHut, suggests we sampled a bit more of the beer than we normally would!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't worry about it, but even this year with very poor pre Christmas snow and warm temperatures we still opened with more lifts and pistes open than anyone else in the area ( with the exception of the Glacier). Saalbach actually stored 35000m3 of snow this year over the summer and spread it back out on the slopes in December-that's commitment .

Anyway, if there's snow that's great, if there isn't there's always beer Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wot they said.

People like me bitch and moan in places like this if the snow has more than 5% moisture content and if it's not between 30 and 75cm fresh every night. This is because we are spoiled. If you need to ask at all, it'll be fine.

And the beer will be good, although in my humble opinion the German stuff is what you want to drink (Erginger etc).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@philwig, don't rate Erdinger
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SammyJ, The week after would be better - the Russians have all gone home and the resort will be much quieter
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@red 27, There were far fewer Russians than usual this year in January, and hardly any Ukrainian guests either, so unless the political situation is resolved I wouldn't worry about their impact in the resort in 2016.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@quinton, the type of Russians who go skiing in western Europe are unaffected by these minor 'domestic' matters
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@red 27, Salzburgerland reported a drop in Russian bookings of over 30% last January. The type of Russians who have been taking ski holidays in Saalbach and other resorts in the area over the last 3-4 years have been very hard hit by the fall in value of the rouble. Clearly the political and currency issues have no impact on the oligarchs, but these have been a rare sight in Saalbach, preferring to spend their loot in Kitzbuhel, St Anton or Courchevel.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scheeweis Erdinger is the best 😎🍺
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Erdinger Alkoholfrei Hefeweiß is the best isotonic and tastiest drink I've ever had @AJQ, @HutToHut. Drank about 7 litres of the stuff after a long marathon in 35°C heat in the summer of 2005. Not even a hint of cramp or muscle fatigue the next day, I was able to go out and enjoy a really long walk in the hills as well Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
@quinton, the type of Russians who go skiing in western Europe are unaffected by these minor 'domestic' matters

A friend with an apartment in Couchevel reports that Russian visitors are a fraction of their usual number. We seem to be under the delusion that 90% of Russians in the Alps or in London are mega-rich oligarchs. The reality is that >90% are just middle class Russians.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all your quick replies guys!
Glad to hear the snow should be good, ten months is far too long to wait Sad
Sounds like I may have to sample the beer Very Happy
May be worth mentioning I have been to S&H before although it was on a school trip many moons ago, should be a totally different experience Smile
Anyone else planning to be out there around that time?
snow conditions
Why don't you do a weekend before this season ends to make the wait shorter?
ski holidays
SammyJ wrote:

At best I am a high level begginer - low level intermediate so a week in Saalbach & Hinterglemm seemed like the perfect week.
That was until I checked the snow reports from previous years.. Sad
I will be arriving on the 2nd jan next year, far too long to wait, I know!

I spent a day in that resort this year, about a week later than you are going.

And had spent a day there in the same week you are going, about 4 years ago.

Both times, the snow was absolutely fine for piste skiing (both times skiing with espri from snowheads). Not sure about the off-piste, as I don't do a significant amount of that, but neither will you be if you describe yourself as high level beginner to low intermediate.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee what it will be like for you, but this year certainly wasn't particularly good for early season snow.
latest report
Samerberg Sue Non-alcoholic BEER Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, technically 0.5% abv beer
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, The Erdinger Alcoholfreies is actually less than 0.5% avb and is a fantastic isontonic drink, hence they sponsor loads of German teams in all sorts of sports! At other times, I'm on the normal stuff, although right now it is the 5th season here and the Starkbier is on offer everywhere! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Don't worry about the snow too much - you'll have Europe's highest brewery with some most excellent beer to take your mind off most things...
http://www.asitzbraeu.com/de/
latest report
Sorry to dig this up from over two months ago, but just a few more questions!
Best place to hire skis, not bothered so much by price, but by quality and current season. Don't need boots Madeye-Smiley
Some of the best hard blue / easy reds? (still not too confident even after a few castleford sessions)
Would it be worth getting a private hire? if so, rough costs? (I hate always being the last to be dropped off on holiday!!!)
Any recommendations for Aprés?

Thanks again all Blush
snow report
Are you staying in Saalbach or Hinterglemm?

Hansi's in Saalbach, Snow & Fun in Hinterglemm for ski hire. Transfer isn't too long and S/H is popular enough to probably have a transfer coach just for that resort.

Après, just check out the S/H thread - Tatman will sort you out.
latest report
Staying in the hotel Kristiana, still not exactly sure where it is, can't see it on any village maps. Albeit I haven't looked too extensively NehNeh
Think i've been recommended Hansi's before.
I was lead to believe transfer time was an hour and forty five minutes, or has someone been telling me lies?! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
SammyJ wrote:
Hey guys,
do you think that the conditions will be okay by then

Yes.

Except for the years when the answer is no.
snow report
Quote:

Except for the years when the answer is no.

That clears things up, thanks wink
latest report
You should be absolutely fine by then. We had a bad start to the season this year so next is 1110000000% going to be a winner Wink
snow conditions
SammyJ wrote:

Any recommendations for Aprés?

Don't miss the Hinterhag Alm party, every day from 4 on the slopes just above the resort in Saalbach. You get to it via the blue 52. Mr Tatman would suggest stopping off at the Berger Alm for Happy Hour on your way (2 for 1 drinks). We loved the Hinterhag!

Also try SpitzBub and Bauer's Skialm in the village.

The other unmissable one is the Goassstall in Hinterglemm (you just get a taxi back afterwards, they wait at the bottom for everyone to chuck out).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SammyJ wrote:

I was lead to believe transfer time was an hour and forty five minutes, or has someone been telling me lies?! Evil or Very Mad

1h 30-1h 45 yes. But if you are on one bus from the airport to Saalbach without any other drop offs it would take the same amount of time regardless of whether you have a private transfer. Saalbach is one of those resorts where TOs have a central drop off point for coaches then uses taxis waiting to drop guests to their accommodation. Was pretty much seamless when we used it. I'd save the cost of a private transfer for the après!
ski holidays
@SammyJ, Only just seen this thread. PM your e-mail if you'd like a copy of my comprehensive guide to S-H. If you go to Hansi's (next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom of the main street) for your equipment, tell him that I sent you and he'll give you a worthwhile discount. The Hotel Kristiana is at the top of the main village street, a downhill walk to the lifts and not too far to walk back to at the end of the day.
latest report
1 of the best 3 big companies to work for, I found working for 1 of the biggest companies , a total pain in the ass , the perks all these firms offer, is because they get givien them , for doing a lot of business , with the firms or co owners of the firms . You think your been made special and given these deals, you are just a pawn in the big firm game

Vest firms to work for, are small firms who know their staff by name and appreciate them daily
snow report
Don't rain on his parade!!
snow conditions
Thanks @Katia NehNeh
Considering I'm only an apprentice I was amazed at the amount of stuff we have access to, i'm not complaining!

Tatman's, PM on the way!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy