Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the Alps? Careful on the roads....

Poster: A snowHead
BBC reports two Britons killed on the Reims-Calais road today and that the French weather service has issued warnings for 70 out of 80 regions. Be careful out there...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair, Sounds like they were idiotic - 120mph on salted roads with freezing rain falling????
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, if the reported speed is accurate I would agree.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair, I probbaly saw the aftermath of that crash as we drove home this morning and it wasn't the only one, worse in the UK though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Driving at that speed in those conditions its a relief that they only killed themselves.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I drove across France yesterday. The A26 from Troyes to St Quentin was a real challenge, with a few inches of snow in some places. I was glad I invested in winter tyres this year - meant I was confident to travel at about 60mph, with most traffic a bit slower than that. Saw several cars off the road, including a 4x4 on its roof on the verge Sad Travelling at anything approaching 120mph was madness in those conditions Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, Glad you made it back safe and sound. Good test for the new tyres Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, it certainly was a good test, and although I was a bit dubious about buying them (they weren't cheap) I'm certain it was the right decision. Also meant I didn't have to use chains once while I was in the resort.

Why is it that so many people feel the need to use their rear fog light when the weather is bad, even though visibility was absolutely fine? It really pi$$e$ me off being dazzled by some idiot who likes to use all the switches on their dashboard. Yesterday there were more British than French doing it, and a disproportinate number of 4x4 drivers Mad Not only was I being frequently dazzled by these stupid lights, but it also makes it more difficult to see if people are braking. [/rant over].
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Rear frog light, when mounted within rear window (solar powered). Available from homedepot.com
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maybe to keep tailgaters at bay Puzzled .police and motoring orgs recommend use of fogs and dipped headlights as well as increased distances between vehicles in poor weather regardless of visibility (sorry if seen to be smug ) Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For poor visibility driving rear facing fog lamps may be used when the visibility is less than 100 metres: "You must switch them off when visibility improves as they can dazzle other road users and can obscure the brake lights." Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Dont know about France.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kj, When you're in a queue of almost stationary traffic which is nose-to-tail there's no such thing as tailgating. Visibility yesterday was generally as far as you could see the road ahead: at least a half mile or so, with no problems seeing traffic ahead of you. Those people who were using fog lights were causing drivers behind them discomfort and danger (sorry if seen to be annoyed) Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For all you kind hearted folks above, the pair killed were two blokes on their way back from Disneyland Paris. So no panic, no skiers involved rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

was a bit dubious about buying them (they weren't cheap) I'm certain it was the right decision. Also meant I didn't have to use chains once while I was in the resort.

Having come back on the 29th. I decided after much researching to buy a set of Winter tyres for my car. I called the dealer (aware that the wheels on my car are a little unusual) to be told that yes there is only one reccomended tyre. A Pirelli 240 snowsport. Having got nowhere on the phone or on websites I visited a tyre dealer today who immediately called Pirelli. (The tyres cost £160 each!) Only to be told that there are none in the UK and Pirelli could not say when they would have any in stock in the UK! Nor would they take an order until they have any in stock!
(Alternatives cannot be used as this would invalidate the Waranty on my car!) I could get them in France perhaps, but then how do I store / transport my summer tyres!
So it's back to Spikes Spiders and hoping for the best. Or maybe I could change my Wife's car for a Diesel X trail.................
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds strange that tyre type is specified in the warranty type - I have blizzaks on the sharan and they are a dream - the amount of folk on the road - about 1 in 2 with fog lights on on Monday was a pain - I hate it.

Three were English folk in the chalet we were in for new year and they could not drive along the road due to the ice conditions around verbier last week so they had to get a garage to come out and fit snow chains. Before the snow had started I had recommended they go to COOP and get the Michelin chains on offer as they take about 3 mins to put on if you dont know how to do it but can follow the instructions. about 20 quid if memory serves they also work a dream.
snow report
boredsurfin, do you have a Laguna? My local tyre dealer did say it was a bit late to be ordering winter tyres in the UK (they sell so few that there is relatively little call for stock), but they were able to get winter tyres for my Laguna within a couple of days (a set of Toyo SnowProX). If you're keen to get tyres it might be worth giving my local place a call? http://www.felthamtyre.co.uk/ near Heathrow.
latest report
Rob I called feltham tyre and they couldn't help either! I need to go back to Jaguar and check if the dealer was right about there only being one acceptable tyre. Confused
snow conditions
Hi, what is the tyre size? I'd say they were pulling your leg, if the tyre is the correct load/speed rating then the tyre make/model shouldnt be a problem. I'd expect the most they could do was suggest rather than dictate from a legal standpoint.

David
latest report
If you want some serious winter tyres try here: http://www.ears.co.uk/motorsport/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Rally_Plus__Reinforced__Formula_39.html The website is being revamped at the moment but they do mud and snow and studded tyres. They are located in Macclesfield cheshire.
snow report
as skinutter said once the tires match the load + speed + size of the recommended tires then you should be ok. I bought some Hanook online for 90Euro each and they are great (that was for a W speed rating)
snow report
skinutter, The tyres are Pirelli 240 snowsport. 225/40 R18TL 92VN3. (in place of 225/40 ZR18TL 92Y) These are the tyres that the wheels/suspension/awd/esp/bsp/abs etc. etc. sytems are set up for. With the spikes spiders on the wheels the awd was getting confused Madeye-Smiley
The car has top of the range factory spec alloy's and low profile tyres, hence the 'fussiness' of the warranty.
If it wasn't under warranty I probably wouldn't be so wary, but as part of the deal includes free European breakdown and replacement vehicle cover I don't want to upset 'them'.
snow report
boredsurfin, I bet you've got an S type, the Pirelli asymetric was the only tyre approved by Jaguar.
snow conditions
David@traxvax, No X !
latest report
boredsurfin, Just an idea, but is there a lower spec X type that has cheaper wheels and perhaps less exotic tyres that would fit your stud pattern. We really are talking revs per mile of the tyre. Cheaper wheels and probably cheaper tyres could work out less than what you have been quoted and maybe even available. A further benefit is that narrower tyres work better in the snow, just look at what the rally guys have on their cars they look like bike tyres under the big wheel arches Toofy Grin
latest report
A couple of years ago I was going to drive out to the alps to ski and since I knew I might be driving on snowy roads I thought I'd play safe and have a lesson on a skid-pan. So I rang the RAC and asked where to go.
They said they no longer advised people to go on skid-pans since it might make them drive too fast in unsafe conditions. They were unable to help me locate one!
snow conditions
snowball, welcome back, long time no post.
ski holidays
snowball, If you are still interested Thruxton race circuit skid pan is available for lessons. Details can be found at www.barc.net.
If you do visit and need Hotel accom in the area drop me a pm.
latest report
Castle Combe also has a skid pan. I had a morning there many years ago and found it very useful.

Details at http://www.combe-events.co.uk/skidpan.htm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lincolnshire police do a free session in the summer, I think it's only available to locals and new drivers though.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
skinutter, The tyres are Pirelli 240 snowsport. 225/40 R18TL 92VN3. (in place of 225/40 ZR18TL 92Y) These are the tyres that the wheels/suspension/awd/esp/bsp/abs etc. etc. sytems are set up for. With the spikes spiders on the wheels the awd was getting confused Madeye-Smiley
The car has top of the range factory spec alloy's and low profile tyres, hence the 'fussiness' of the warranty.
If it wasn't under warranty I probably wouldn't be so wary, but as part of the deal includes free European breakdown and replacement vehicle cover I don't want to upset 'them'.

I'm suprised they are suggesting a snow tyre on summer tyre sizes, as mentioned those are pretty fat (My summer tyres on my Audi S2 Quattro are 18's but I tell you from experience that even though they are only summer tyres, they are CR*P in the snow....great for true 4wheel drifts in a big carpark but in terms of directional control and cornering, bad news). I would expect that there is a specific winter tyre size recommended by Jag, something like a 205/55/16 or maybe even slimmer, like a 195 but its all down to brake clearance. For example my audi a6 avant uses 205/55/16 on summer tyres and 195/65/15 for winter tyres. As far as i know Audi have never specified a certain make/model of tyre Its also quite normal to get the winters mounted onto a set of steel rims, so that they don't damage the alloys.

I looked on www.mytres.net and there are only 5 makes/models of winter tyres at the 225/40/18 size.

I'm using Pirelli snowsport 210 asym winter tyres on the A6 and they have fabulous grip in all conditions and a big plus, they are quiet on a dry road too.
ski holidays
skinutter wrote:
As far as i know Audi have never specified a certain make/model of tyre Its also quite normal to get the winters mounted onto a set of steel rims, so that they don't damage the alloys.

They do, in fact it's a "control" or MOT item as well in Switzerland and Germany. It's normal to use steel wheels and it most cases totally fine, but, steel wheels don't provide the same performance for braking and increase unsprung weight which can be detrimental for handling.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Thank you. Yes, I've been rather busy with an exhibition, But that and the Christmas obligations and a visit to Yorkshire friends (walking on the moors etc) are over, so I'm now starting to get excited about my skiing plans and that, naturally, brought me back to the old firm. Very Happy
I missed the last 2 MK visits so I'm thinking about going there for a first warm up.
How about you?
boredsurfin, Thanks, but I don't get anything on that website - could it be out of date? Where is/was it?
RobW Castle Combe is a bit far for me, but I'll bear it in mind - Thanks.
latest report
snowball, oops try these.

http://www.barc.net/thruxton.htm

http://www.thruxtonracing.co.uk

Give either a call for skid pan details.
snow report
The search for winter tyres continue. Both Jaguar's and Pirelli's head offices are looking into the situation for me!
Jaguar re-iterated the tyre they insist on is the Pirelli 240 snowsport. Reducing the wheel size by 2 inches will result in 'handling and stability issues!
ski holidays
boredsurfin, After a quick search I have found that the X-Type can be fitted with the "SABA" 6.5" x 16" steel wheels which can take the 205/55 x 16 Pirelli 240's at £108.30, I feel sure as Jaguar fit the SABA wheel to the X-Type they can't say that the car will be unsafe! I would agree that it will change the 'handling and stability" but so does rain and snow!! in the end it is really your choice snowHead
ski holidays
ise wrote:
skinutter wrote:
As far as i know Audi have never specified a certain make/model of tyre Its also quite normal to get the winters mounted onto a set of steel rims, so that they don't damage the alloys.

They do, in fact it's a "control" or MOT item as well in Switzerland and Germany. It's normal to use steel wheels and it most cases totally fine, but, steel wheels don't provide the same performance for braking and increase unsprung weight which can be detrimental for handling.

Typically steel rims only go up to about 16" anyway? On the S4 we use 18" low profile in the summer and 17" normal in the winter. You can't get low profile winter tyres I believe. The poster with the Jag (sorry, forgotten who now!) might want to try rims an inch smaller for the winter and that should solve the tyre availbility problem in the process. The Audi distributor in CH (AMAG) has its own line of alloy rims that are much cheaper than the original Audi rims - maybe Jag have something similar?
latest report
boredsurfin, Kind of with Dypcdiver, on this. Unlike others here I operate a system with 'Speedy' aka 'Kwikfit' in the UK ! They store and fit your winter/summer tyres at your request.

I do NOT change wheels ( for goodness sake - I am just as capable of smacking alloys in the Summer!). Most - if not all - European tyre shops provide a 'fitting' service where they store and refit your winter/summer tyres. FWIW I can never remember the refitting charge but it is less than £10 !

Nokian do winter tyres for even the weirdest sizes (I have 265/65/R17 - and yours are bog standard) -- stop fretting and fit them ! I would always stay with the same wheel size despite what is written about narrower being better. Even in winter conditions 98% of your driving will be on 'good' roads.

The whole issue about Jaguar 'approval' is irrelevant. Which part of their 'warranty' worries you ? The fact that they only 'recommend' Pirelli has a lot more to do with commercials I suspect than any real roadworthiness. Personally I will always favour safety above commercial interest.
latest report
If I could get my tyres changed on the same rims for just 10 squid I'd be a happy bunny! Usually costs me about 35, twice a year Sad
snow conditions
eng_ch, .... then try 'Speedy' ...given that I have 2 cars that are done in France and 1 in Suisse, what more can I say? French price is €15 and Ch = chf 25 .....

why do we always have to re-justify our statements on this site ?? I have just spent 5 minutes verifying that
ski holidays
Never seen them - maybe they're based in the Romandie?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy